“xmas in amsterdam” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #172 of 361 Hotels in Amsterdam
Liverpool, United Kingdom
“xmas in amsterdam”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 January 2014

this is the second time have stayed in the hampshire hotel, in rembrant square, hotel was very good, large spacious room, and on-suite bathroom, big compy beds and decor very trendy but because of the time of year, the deal was only on the hotel, not the breakfast.
Great location, this rembrant square was always busy and has the trams running through.
As for breakfast because of the location, there was always somewhere to have a coffee, with toastie, or fresh orange juice, one of the main places we visited was the huge cosfa coffee,

Room Tip: higher floors are always an option for us as when in amsterdam houses are close together, and to get...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thomas6192013, Manager at Hampshire Hotel - Rembrandt Square Amsterdam, responded to this review, 14 January 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you for staying with us.
We hope you had a pleasant stay and would like to welcome you again very soon.

The management

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (191)
  • Arabic first
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 January 2014 via mobile

Pros
great location
comfy bed
good size of room
nice bathroom (with bath)

Cons
poor lighting
cold, heating doesn't work
we ran out of toilet paper and had to wait a day for it to be replaced, which caused obvious problems and shouldn't be endured with the price we are paying.
it's noisy, understandable neon Amsterdam but as we were on the 3rd floor I think it is down to low quality windows.
the most serious flaw is that there is piping running in the walls next to the bed so when other guests use their taps etc it is noisy and even woke us up

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank inlovewithadventure
Thomas6192013, Manager at Hampshire Hotel - Rembrandt Square Amsterdam, responded to this review, 10 January 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you for your comments and observations.
We will use this to improve our level of service.

Oslo, Norway
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 December 2013

Good rooms, with ok space (its amsterdam, so its cinda limited space i guess)
Realy good beds, and a nice bathroom.
But i dint get my room cleaned by the whole stay. I even asked for my room cleaned...

Room Tip: Empty the mini bar, so guest can use it for there own purposes.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Hampshire Hotels

2 Thank MrAadland
Dear guest,

Thank you for your comments.
We will contact our departments about this matter.
We hope to welcome you again next time

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 December 2013

I stayed for one night in the hotel and I have very mixed feelings. The room was nice, modenly decorated, but at least in my view lacked adequate lightning. What really bothered me were stains on the carpeted floor. The bed was very good. The breakfast is adequate. Organisation of the work of the reception is a bit confusing. Staff is nice, although could be more helpful. Location is great and price was very reasonable.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank sergej s
Thomas h, Manager at Hampshire Hotel - Rembrandt Square Amsterdam, responded to this review, 28 December 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you for staying with us.
We will use your comments to improve our level of service and our quality.

Lisburn, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 December 2013

I stayed in the Hampshire Hotel on Rembrandt square for a 5 night visit late November early December. The room was very spacious, biggest I've stayed in, in 4 visits to Amsterdam, and decorated in a modern feel. The bed was not only comfortable but huge. While our room had very little natural light or a view it was pleasant and comfortable. The staff were, if a bit jumpy, very helpful. The location was excellent, a stone throw from Rembrandt square, which even when jumping on a Saturday night we could hear nothing from the room.

Unfortunately there were a few things that really ruined this stay.

The first was the tv, which had 3 English channels BBC2, BBC world news and euro news. Luckily it also had a radio channel, which while not in English, played many English songs and sufficed as background noise while we were in the room.

The 2nd issue was the bathroom, this had some funky modern frosted glass door, which looked nice but did nothing to dampen sound. We were also confused that there was on extractor fan in the bathroom, this made the room particularly uncomfortable after a couple of showers.

3rd the massive bed was actually 2 singles pushed together. While it was comfortable, we either had the choice of both squeezing onto 1 bed or lying each on a separate bed like we had booked a twin room.

The final issue was the lack of cleanliness, marks on the floor, balls of hair soap stains around the sink in the bathroom. I understand the hotel is undergoing a refurbishment at the moment (trust me I could hear them on the floor above) but at the price being paid I expected my room to be at the very least clean.

When I raised these issues at reception I was essential fobbed off nicely.

This hotel could be good, but just needs to concentrate on some of the details that it has very obviously missed.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Steve S
Thomas h, Manager at Hampshire Hotel - Rembrandt Square Amsterdam, responded to this review, 9 December 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you for your remarks and observations.
We will inform our departments about these matters.

Smyrna, Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 December 2013

Rembrant Square is choc full of bars, resteraunts, and nightlife. The city is fairly walkable so you're not really far from anything. Redlight and Jordaan are probably the only two major sights that are 15 - 20 minutes away by walking.

Rooms were fine for my wife and I. Bathrooms were nice. Only thing I didn't like was having 2 twin beds pushed together. Which I found wasn't so unusual when we left here to go to Germany.

For the price I'd stay here again.

Room Tip: We were on the 3rd floor, but had a view of the interior allyway. I don't know if any of the ro...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Dear guest,

Thank you for your nice review.
We hope to welcome you again next time in our hotel.

Johannesburg, South Africa
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 December 2013

As the hotel is well located for IDFA (International Documentary Festival Amsterdam) events, our delegation stayed at the hotel for the 2nd year. We took 19 rooms single occupancy and I was glad that the WiFi had been substantially upgraded since last year as that really was a problem in 2012. Unfortunately it seems they have got worse than ever at servicing the rooms. While my colleague and I were apparently upgraded to an "Executive Room", both rooms 394 and 494 were really dirty.

On my arrival in the room, there was a dirty unwashed spoon and mug sitting as if they were clean for use, and the carpets in both rooms were really dirty. Room 394, which my colleague was in, stank horribly… I have no idea how he managed to sleep in it. I called down to reception, and they sent a rather rude man, with two clean cups. To my shock he never offered to take the dirty one!

However the worst thing was how dirty the floors were in both rooms (see pics). When on the 3rd night I got back to an un-made bed, and everything as I left it, I called the duty manager (Joroen), he apologised, and came by as I was about to shower with a voucher for two drinks (house whine, soft drink or beer only), and the cleaning lady did come round soon thereafter. I pointed to the dirty carpets, and she said: "Yes I know about that, but I can't clean that, I don't have any cleaning equipment for that". Can it be that a four star hotel has no means to clean stains and marks from carpets? Even so, the fact that the area around my basin was not cleaned for the duration of my 7 night stay is also shocking. In fact I don't even think they cleaned the toilet!

To add insult to this, on check out, the reception staffs' new computer system caused them endless problems, and delays, causing us to wait for a long time. I know that I had no extras to be billed to me, so was surprised when they said I made a phone call. After another few mins it was "reversed" as it was the call they diverted to the cell phone of the duty manager, which they wanted to bill me for! I have to say that it's not the level of service or hygiene I expect from a European 4 star hotel, and the "compensation" of the two drinks and the apology letter from the duty manager appears to have done little to actually deal with the issues in question.

The hotel has no swimming pool or fitness centre, but is well located next to Rembrandt Square. None of the rooms have any great views, and rather look onto alley ways or interior courtyards and ventilation areas. The fact that they have closed the hotels reception as they now only use the reception of the adjoining three star Eden hotel for all guests, does not exactly make you feel like a four star guest. I would really wish that the hotel staff take seriously when a guest does take the time to call the duty manager, especially about poor hygiene, and train their cleaning staff to report issues of dirty floors, basins and mugs, and to supply equipment to ensure things stay in good shape. Perhaps a supervisor should check rooms regularly if cleaning staff are not equipped to deal with issues.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Transmediaafrica
Thomas h, Manager at Hampshire Hotel - Rembrandt Square Amsterdam, responded to this review, 3 December 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write to Hampshire Hotel - Rembrandt Square with regards to your experiences with our hotel. As we are constantly striving to improve our level of service we value our customers’ opinions and remarks. To ensure us of providing the expected hospitality and accommodations your observations are a vital part of this process and are therefore carefully considered.

First of all we apologise for the inconvenience caused. We are sorry to hear that you were not satisfied with your room and service.
We will use your comments to improve our level of service for next time and our next guests.

The management

Travellers are raving about these Amsterdam hotels