“Amateurish-rude staff, dorm like rooms.”

Hampshire Hotel - Rembrandt Square Amsterdam
Ranked #169 of 367 Hotels in Amsterdam
Portland, Oregon
“Amateurish-rude staff, dorm like rooms.”
Reviewed 8 April 2014

There are easily better hotels to stay in in Amsterdam. Here's what happened to me: As soon as I entered my room I smelled cigarette smoke. I called the front desk to let them know and some clod of a guy came up and told me that he didn't smell anything and that if I did smell something I should "open the window". This was really priceless. Then he even suggested that the smell might be the take-away salad that was in my room. He was totally lacking in any kind of feeling of accommodation.

Later that night I asked to be "let out" of the third and final night of my reservation. Flatly refused. The rooms are pretty awful, more like a dorm room than a hotel room. And the beds!! Child-sized twin beds with foam rubber mattresses. It was a complete joke. I sensed consternation from one of the other guests in the reception area as well. Expedia was wonderful in giving me a $100 coupon. This experience will teach me to do my homework more. It was a last minute booking. Otherwise, enjoy Amsterdam!

Room Tip: Mediocre part of Amsterdam, totally unprofessional staff.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank JLambert_Aloha
Thomas6192013, Manager at Hampshire Hotel - Rembrandt Square Amsterdam, responded to this review, 11 April 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time in sharing your experience with us. I am sorry to read we did not meet your expectations. We constantly work on improving our service and standards. We do hope that this will not deter you from visiting us in the future.

The management

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (197)
  • Arabic first
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Troon
Reviewed 31 March 2014

Arrived Friday early evening, checked in and room looked ok. Saw that door to bathroom only was closed half way across and assumed that it slid over fully and thought nothing more of it as we were heading straight out. Upon returning in the early hours imagine our surprise to learn that it should in fact be saloon doors (made of glass) and that the left hand side one was totally missing, meaning there was no privacy whatsoever when going to the toilet. Given the time of day (circa 1am) we decided to leave it until the morning before bringing to management attention when checking out. Met chambermaid on way to reception and she informed us that the door had been missing for TWO DAYS, meaning this hotel knew exactly what standard of room they were putting us into. Passed from pillar to post at reception before a manager, asked us to move aside (as reception was busy to discuss the matter with us). His idea of discussing the matter was to highlight that we had booked through an agent, paid in advance, had received a preferential rate, and in short was not prepared to do anything about it. The lack of professionalism demonstrated by him and his staff was in total contrast to what we experienced elsewhere in our break in Holland. It appeared as if his attitude was simply, you got a bargain on the room (if £100+ for a night represents a bargain) and that we could get lost.
Think manager's name might have been Thomas....anyway I promised him a review of his hotel so here it goes. Over priced, faulty room , poor sound proofing, ignorant staff and arrogant management. I would not contemplate returning to this hotel on a point of principle even if offered a free room.
P.S. Hotel is NOT on Rembrandt Square as advertised, but down a side street close to it.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Thomas6192013, Manager at Hampshire Hotel - Rembrandt Square Amsterdam, responded to this review, 1 April 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you very much in taking the time writing a review, it is only through guest comments such as yours that we can constantly improve our service. I am sorry we did need meet your expectations and I apologise for not giving you the attention you deserve as a guest during check in. We do hope this will not deter you from visitng us.

The management

Travellers are raving about these Amsterdam hotels

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed 29 March 2014

The bugger on the toilet wall is also not a pleasant view to see, luckily I didn't see any hair in the bathroom.
I think that chamber maids must be seriously busy and must lack of time or motivation.

Luckily the bedding was very fresh and mattress supportive enough and comfortable.
The reception and reception staff were nice, smiling and helpful.
I also liked the breakfast, the glasses could be cleaner especially that they are so nicely highlighted place or maybe they were just dusty, judge yourself.

The towels were replaced even though I didn’t put them in the bath, They have had idea of hanging the information "if you forgot something for bathroom ask us and we are happy to provide you with...", but they didn't think of saving the money by changing the towels only when necessary (practice of putting the dirty towels into the bath)
On request provided iron hasn’t had steaming option hence it was quite useless for mu polyester shirt as without it I was too afraid to use the water on the questionably clean ironing board.

If not the fact I have had wifi internet access in my room, the bedding was fresh and I luckily didn't see any hair in bathroom or toilet I would definitely ask for a different room.

Room Tip: Fifth floor quarantees some day light and no street noise noted
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Krzysztof B
Thomas6192013, Manager at Hampshire Hotel - Rembrandt Square Amsterdam, responded to this review, 31 March 2014

Chandler, Arizona
Reviewed 12 March 2014

It's not a long walk from Centraal Station. The rooms are big, and are very up to date. The place has a very modern and boutique feel to it. It's in a quieter part of town but that's not to say that there is nothing going on in Rembrandt Square!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank xJEFFROx
Thomas6192013, Manager at Hampshire Hotel - Rembrandt Square Amsterdam, responded to this review, 17 March 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you for your compliments.
We are glad to hear that you had a perfect stay.

Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 12 March 2014

I stayed once before in this hotel and had a really nice experience despite the breakfast being over priced to say the least... (18€ for couple of eggs, salty bacon and a couple of tiny pastries... definitely overpriced.. ) despite this little thing I decided to stay again to my regret. I was put in a room on the first floor and I didn't sleep a wink due to the very noisy street with non stop cars, trams and people shouting even on a monday night.. I had to request earplugs at 1.30am... not the best experience... if you are above the street noise 3,4,5 floor its a lovely place.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hampshire Hotels

1 Thank Erwane2222
Dear guest,

Thank you for your comments.
We look forward to welcome you again.

Vienna
Reviewed 3 March 2014

only the tv remote was not working correctly
the hotel was clean, friendly and price was ok, i was surprised
short distance to the DNB
nice for trips in the city and sightseeing and shopping
thanks a lot

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hampshire Hotels

Thomas6192013, Manager at Hampshire Hotel - Rembrandt Square Amsterdam, responded to this review, 4 March 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you for staying with us.
We had several problems this period with our tv channels, so this is correct.
After all we hope to welcome you again with your next visit.

Reviewed 3 March 2014 via mobile

Booked this hotel with a group of friends/partner and we were all very impressed with the hotel and service.
Rooms were a great size. Only downside to the room was that we requested double beds but we got 2 twin beds pushed together that wasn't secure therefore it was very easy to fall through the middle! It would have been nice to have a double duvet not 2 singles.
Bathroom was lovely but lacked privacy, the doors to the bathroom were glass with frosted strips therefore you had to be comfortable with the person you were sharing with!!

Good location, within walking distance to all the main attractions.

Would be more than happy to stay here again.

Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Ami H
Dear guest,

Thank you for your commenst about your stay with us.
We are happy to hear that this was perfect.
We hope to welcome you again.