“Large room, great location but carpets in need of cleaning”

Ranked #159 of 376 Hotels in Amsterdam
Reviewed 5 January 2010

Arrived at hotel; thought reception staff could have been more welcoming. We were allocated a large room on the 4th floor. The access corridor seemed in need of painting/cleaning and there was a large yellow stain on the carpet adjacent to the bathroom. Glass doors separate the bedroom from the bathroom; these provide almost no privacy and there is no masking noise. I had some concern that one door might fracture if not carefully opened/closed. The room on our facade was directly opposite an office so anyone working in the office could look directly into our room (so we left the blinds closed).
We had a reasonably "quiet" room but the occupants of a pub generated a lot of noise into the early hours (up to c. 6 am).
The concierge was helpful, took care of luggage and organised a taxi to the airport.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,859)

Reviewed 1 January 2010

The hotel is located at a great location near the canals and the town center. We've got a free upgrade to a superior room, clean and tidy. No free wifi, but free internet at the lounge. Reasonable price. Highly recommended.

Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 December 2009

If all you are interested in is a bed and a close proximity to the lively section of Amsterdam, this is an excellent choice. However, if you are price conscious, or demand some class and good accommodations for your money, I would look elsewhere. Overall, the hotel tries very hard to appear expensive, but comes off as cheap and overpriced.

When I arrived on Friday, there was water dripping onto my head in the lobby. When I left on Sunday, the water leak was still not repaired.

The rooms are small but serviceable, but no more. The large beds are really two smaller beds pushed together, with separate bedding on each. Each room has a very small desk with a small, uncomfortable chair. Above each bed, on the wall, is painted a very large arrow pointing to the bed, in case you are unable to find it.

In fact, you may be unable to find the bed if, like me, you let the door close before turning on the electricity in the room. In order for any electric device to work - all lights included - you must insert your room key into a slot inside the room near the door. However, to see the slot, you must hold the door open at the same time! There isn't even a tiny night light above the slot to help you if you happen to let the door close, leaving you to fumble around until you open the door again or figure out where the slot is.

There is free Internet access, provided via Ethernet. Short but adequate cables are provided in the room. If you want wireless access, you will have to rely on being lucky and picking up a signal from an establishment outside of the hotel.

My room had several strange, bright orange stains on the carpet. The heating system was very weak and took a lot of time to bring the room to a reasonable temperature. The walls were very thin, and it was easy to hear what others were up to on each side of me.

The bathroom. My nemesis.

Someone decided that it would be fun to make a fancy looking shower, I suppose. The floor drain is right in the middle of the tub; I kept stepping on it accidentally and closing it, causing the tub to fill with water. It took me a while to figure out where the handle was to open the drain up again - there are no markings. The emergency drain is the key here, but I opted to simply pull the plug out entirely, since I kept stepping on the thing.

Instead of bar soap, a liquid soap dispenser (similar to the kind you would find in a typical restroom) is placed inside of the shower and near the sink. This is a great idea, but poor in execution. The amount of soap dispensed with each push is minuscule; much of my soap also was caught inside of the enclosure, due to improper soap nozzle alignment.

A word of warning before turning on the water in the shower: Turning the nozzle one way is for the bath, while the other is for the attached shower hose. No indication of which direction is for which device, or that the dual-function even exists.

The shower door only covers half the length of the shower. I am not sure why. If alone, this is obviously not a problem, but if you are sharing the room while one showers and another shaves, for example, do not expect much in the way of privacy.

Heated mirrors prevent condensation during showers. A very nice and unexpected touch.

You will hear what is going on inside of the Square. It can be quite noisy, long into the night, and every night I heard at least two ambulances nearby. If noise bothers you and inhibits your sleeping, DO NOT under any circumstances stay in this hotel! However, the curtains in front of the windows are absolutely incredible, and block out nearly all outside light.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 3 December 2009

Fantastic hotel! It was a long walk from Central station but do get a taxi or tram which was only about 5/10 mins journey. Staffs were very helpful and friendly. The location is excellent - near shops, restaurants, etc.. and not far from Red light district which is must see! We did not eat at the hotel for breakfast or dinner since it’s a bit pricey for us. But there are plenty places to eat nearby.

The room is very spacious and great layout especially the wardrobe at the central. The bathroom is massive and so luxury but the only downside is the frosted glass door of the bathroom if sharing with friends. I didn’t mind at all since I was with my other half

Amsterdam is a cool city. I loved the fact that people are so laid back when riding on an old bike. Plenty to see. Do visit Anne Frank House but I would recommend to book ticket online as the queue could be quite long.

Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 November 2009

ERSH is a perfect hotel situated more or less in the heart of Amsterdam. Shopping streets, Red Lights District, Dam Square are easily reachable by feet. Central Railway Station is situated a bit far from the hotel, but it takes 5 minutes to get there by taxi and it costs EUR 7.50.

The hotel itself is not posh, but is really nice and comfortable. Superior rooms are big enough, and bathroom is really huge! Moreover, we had no complaints about cleanliness and staff. Room service is excellent.

The only bad thing is with Wi-Fi. In case you don't have laptop you may get an Internet access only in the lobby. It is impossible to connect to the Internet through iPhone.

From one hotel side you may have a window view to Amstel river, from the other side to dirty street, but it's a matter of luck.

The other minor dissapointment was the absence of the bathrobes in the room, but that is not too important.

So, I would definitely recommend this hotel to everyone.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 November 2009

My Fiancé and I visited here the 2nd wk in February with friends, I booked it as a treat to myself for my 21st birthday. We didn't do much research into accommodation as we were travelling with 2 other couples who had booked before we decided to go so we just booked this to be with them.
This is a fantastic hotel, so easy to get to by tram from the main train station. Every1 speaks brilliant English so there are no problems asking for directions. It is a stones throw from Rembrandt square which is the hub of activity at night. I didn't sample the breakfast in the hotel, I thought it to be a bit expensive so we went to the bar/restaurant next door which worked out almost as bad.
The rooms are spacious enough for 2 people, the beds are cosy. If you were to stay here with anybody but your partner it could be a bit awkward because the door of the bathroom is frosted glass and isn't a full door, it's very hard to explain but it leaves your feet and head exposed when standing if you can visualise that. I didn't find it a problem though. The staff are friendly and are helpful should you need them, one staff member managed to get us a taxi to the airport for a very competitive rate on our last day. It wasn't too busy when we were there so we had no problem arranging a late check out.
I would definately stay here again and would have no problems recommending it to a friend.

If you like shopping the main shopping area is only a 10 min walk from the hotel and it's pretty easy to find your way everywhere in Amsterdam.
Absolutely beautiful city, so laid back and we really enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 9 November 2009

On their website they claim to be a four star deluxe hotel, but the service they provide lies closer to a two star. If you enjoy the following please choose this hotel:

- Dirty rooms with carpet burns and dirty walls
- No toilet amenities
- Cheap and small towels
- Unpleasant and rude staff (At the sunday check out - all the staff where busy dealing with complaints)
- Hidden taxes (be aware of a 5% city tax, charged at the end of your stay)
- Expensive breakfast
- No bathrobes (tried to order them three times)
- Thin windows (to a noisy street)
- Expensive late checkout - 40 euros

The only positive I have to say about his hotel is its central location and kind concierge.

Please don't leave your money in this hotel, they seriously don't deserve it.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple
Hotelrobert, Operations Manager at Rembrandt Square Hotel Amsterdam (formerly known as Hampshire Hotel Rembrandt Square), responded to this reviewResponded 11 November 2009

Dear Mr. Vest,
We are very sorry that your stay at the Eden Rembrandt Square Hotel was not as expected. We would like to apologise for any inattentive behaviour of our staff and the inconvenience this may have cost you. Of course you should have been provided with the required bathrobes, we have plenty of them available and the same goes for all amenities. In addition to this we have soap and shower gel dispensers in all of our bathrooms.
We would like to clear up on your remark about city tax. City tax is a mandatory tourist tax from the city of Amsterdam and is collected by each and every hotel in Amsterdam We try to be as transparent as possible on all of our surcharges and believe we can offer you any additional service at a competitive rate.
We hope to have shed a little light on some of your comments and apologise again for any inconvenience experienced. We do hope to be able to welcome you again in one of our Eden City Hotels.
With kind regards,