Rembrandt Square Hotel Amsterdam (formerly known as Hampshire Hotel Rembrandt Square)
US$354
US$283
US$208
Room Mate Hotels
  • Restaurant
Ibis Amsterdam Centre(Amsterdam)(Great Value!)
US$307
US$176
ibis
  • Restaurant
NH Amsterdam Museum Quarter(Amsterdam)(Great Value!)
US$230
US$208
US$269
US$219
  • Restaurant
MEININGER Hotel Amsterdam City West(Amsterdam)(Great Value!)
US$144
  • Bar/Lounge
Hotel Estherea(Amsterdam)
US$461
US$333
  • Room Service
NH Amsterdam Centre(Amsterdam)(Great Value!)
US$247
US$216
  • Restaurant
XO Hotels Park West(Amsterdam)(Great Value!)
US$163
US$131
1,872 results
All reviewsgreat locationeden hotelmini barfrosted glassnice hotelflower marketamstel riverjunior suitebars and restaurantscentral locationtram stopred light districtconciergenightlifestopseurope
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 11 January 2010

I traveled with my wife and two friends to Amsterdam for an overnight excursion while my friends were visiting us in Europe. We picked the hotel because the reviews here were pretty good and they had a very cheap rate on a decent looking room. There were four of us, and their website literally errored when I picked 4 people so I gave up and said 2. We arrived at the hotel around noon and were able to check in; guy at the counter was friendly and spoke english. Four of us stood there and no questions asked about a room for 2 which was a benefit. We paid about $130 for one night for a standard double; room had a view of the inner courtyard which was extremely ugly and looked into the hallways of adjacent building. If we hadn't been on the 5th floor, we wouldnt have any view of the city skyline so I feel bad for anyone on lower floors. The room was OK in size, with for some reason an abundance of stains in the carpet of varying colors. Flat screen TV, coffee maker, and an automatic mini bar that charged you if you touched anything. Everything besides the stains on the floor was clean and in working order. My only complaint was the layout of the bathroom and lack of soaps. The bathroom had a glass saloon door with a frosted mid-section to barely block visibility. Anyone using the bathroom was fully audible, etc. The bathroom had no bars of soap or actual shampoo, it had a commercial bathroom style plastic dispenser labeled bath and shower soap and was literally inside the shower area. At night I dealt with a cranky front desk staff when I phoned to ask if a roll-out bed would be possible as the room had two individual small sofa chairs and not a whole sofa. The millisecond I finished my sentence asking if it was possible I was barked and abrupt NO and was told the limit was 3 people to a room. I would have offered to pay but apparently that wasn't an option.

The location of the hotel is a stones throw from Rembrandt Square which I'm sure would be ideal in the summer. We were hear the first time it had snowed in AMS in 5 years and it was miserably cold. Otheriwse you could walk to some cool cafes/shops/restaurants. We walked to the Heineken brewery which was a short walk with all the typical canals and shops. The area seemed fairly safe but there was a sign saying there was an alternate entrance to the hotel late at night. If you google streetview the address don't be too disappointed as there is some commercial entrance looking thing across the street which makes it look like it's in a dubious area but it's really not. Getting here from the Waterlooplein metro stop was easy, we took the aboveground rail from Schiphol to Zuid, then underground from Zuid to Waterlooplein -fairly easy and cheap.

So to sum it up,depending on your tastes, the hotel lives up to its star rating and you get what you pay for.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 9 January 2010

Overall a good hotel in a good location.

The bathroom door in the room was bizarre - was glass and only part frosted. Fine if you're on you're own but not so great when you're sharing a room. There are some things that really should remain private.

• Stayed: February 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 January 2010

Arrived at hotel; thought reception staff could have been more welcoming. We were allocated a large room on the 4th floor. The access corridor seemed in need of painting/cleaning and there was a large yellow stain on the carpet adjacent to the bathroom. Glass doors separate the bedroom from the bathroom; these provide almost no privacy and there is no masking noise. I had some concern that one door might fracture if not carefully opened/closed. The room on our facade was directly opposite an office so anyone working in the office could look directly into our room (so we left the blinds closed).
We had a reasonably "quiet" room but the occupants of a pub generated a lot of noise into the early hours (up to c. 6 am).
The concierge was helpful, took care of luggage and organised a taxi to the airport.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 January 2010

The hotel is located at a great location near the canals and the town center. We've got a free upgrade to a superior room, clean and tidy. No free wifi, but free internet at the lounge. Reasonable price. Highly recommended.

Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 December 2009

If all you are interested in is a bed and a close proximity to the lively section of Amsterdam, this is an excellent choice. However, if you are price conscious, or demand some class and good accommodations for your money, I would look elsewhere. Overall, the hotel tries very hard to appear expensive, but comes off as cheap and overpriced.

When I arrived on Friday, there was water dripping onto my head in the lobby. When I left on Sunday, the water leak was still not repaired.

The rooms are small but serviceable, but no more. The large beds are really two smaller beds pushed together, with separate bedding on each. Each room has a very small desk with a small, uncomfortable chair. Above each bed, on the wall, is painted a very large arrow pointing to the bed, in case you are unable to find it.

In fact, you may be unable to find the bed if, like me, you let the door close before turning on the electricity in the room. In order for any electric device to work - all lights included - you must insert your room key into a slot inside the room near the door. However, to see the slot, you must hold the door open at the same time! There isn't even a tiny night light above the slot to help you if you happen to let the door close, leaving you to fumble around until you open the door again or figure out where the slot is.

There is free Internet access, provided via Ethernet. Short but adequate cables are provided in the room. If you want wireless access, you will have to rely on being lucky and picking up a signal from an establishment outside of the hotel.

My room had several strange, bright orange stains on the carpet. The heating system was very weak and took a lot of time to bring the room to a reasonable temperature. The walls were very thin, and it was easy to hear what others were up to on each side of me.

The bathroom. My nemesis.

Someone decided that it would be fun to make a fancy looking shower, I suppose. The floor drain is right in the middle of the tub; I kept stepping on it accidentally and closing it, causing the tub to fill with water. It took me a while to figure out where the handle was to open the drain up again - there are no markings. The emergency drain is the key here, but I opted to simply pull the plug out entirely, since I kept stepping on the thing.

Instead of bar soap, a liquid soap dispenser (similar to the kind you would find in a typical restroom) is placed inside of the shower and near the sink. This is a great idea, but poor in execution. The amount of soap dispensed with each push is minuscule; much of my soap also was caught inside of the enclosure, due to improper soap nozzle alignment.

A word of warning before turning on the water in the shower: Turning the nozzle one way is for the bath, while the other is for the attached shower hose. No indication of which direction is for which device, or that the dual-function even exists.

The shower door only covers half the length of the shower. I am not sure why. If alone, this is obviously not a problem, but if you are sharing the room while one showers and another shaves, for example, do not expect much in the way of privacy.

Heated mirrors prevent condensation during showers. A very nice and unexpected touch.

You will hear what is going on inside of the Square. It can be quite noisy, long into the night, and every night I heard at least two ambulances nearby. If noise bothers you and inhibits your sleeping, DO NOT under any circumstances stay in this hotel! However, the curtains in front of the windows are absolutely incredible, and block out nearly all outside light.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled on business