“Not up to scratch”

Ranked #170 of 368 Hotels in Amsterdam
Kent
“Not up to scratch”
Reviewed 7 October 2010

Hotel was well placed in the centre of Amsterdam, close to attractions and shop. unfortunatly the hotel was was not upto scratch. Carpets were filthy, paint on walls were scratched, the whole place just seemed more like a students dorm than 4 star hotel. Smell of place reflected this to.
Upon arrival reception staff were very polite and helpful, however once we complained about the state of our room and asked to be moved there mood change and they became rather aggresive, saying the carpets may be stained but they were clean. I didn't put my bear feet on the carpets for duration of our stay, in need of hotel slippers!!!

Want what it says on tin, of Kent.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (202)
  • Arabic first
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 October 2010

Bad sewage problems in this hotel which also makes part of it very smelly It was also mainly staffed by agency personnel who forgot to change our towels or clean our room for several days. When they did clean it they left the rubbish in the bathroom sink and there was little evidence of cleaning. Breakfast also very poor.

The hotel is nicely placed to explore but nothing else good to say about it. We would never stay here again nor recommend it to others.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with friends

Travellers are raving about these Amsterdam hotels

Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed 21 September 2010

My wife and I had the pleasure of staying at this hotel while visiting Amsterdam. We can find nothing we didn't like about the hotel. We asked for a quiet room, which we got. We didn't even hear the nightlife at Rembrandt Square! The room was spotless, and cleaned daily, to a high standard. The Concierge was extremely helpful, as were the front of house staff. The only thing we could say is that the FOH staff should learn to smile more. They are very efficient and polite, but a smile would go a long way.

nyc
Reviewed 15 September 2010

I stayed at the Eden Rembrandt Square for a total of 7 nights in August - the first four were paid through my partner's company, as she was there for business, the last three were paid by me, and because I had made a separate reservation, we switched rooms for the last three nights. Now, I didn't try to stay in the same room, so I have absolutely no issues with having to move rooms. In fact, it was welcomed, as our first four nights were spent in a room that had windows onto an alleyway that was incredibly loud every morning at about 3am. I guess the bar/coffeeshop patrons start to spill out into that street at that time...
Our first room had stains on the carpet and holes in the bedding - a bit worn, but not unbearable. The bathroom had a tub, but only half a shower door - a design I'm not fond of! It makes for a bit of a flood every time you shower, especially with the rain feature - unless you consciously take care to not move around too much.
The second room was a little smaller and didn't have a tub, but had a full door to the shower, so that's a plus. It was also much quieter - a welcomed relief at that point. My only gripe about the second room was the layer of dust on all of the shelves - the ones in the bathroom, the ones in the living area...dust!
Overall, though, the beds are comfy enough and the staff were nice. The breakfast was ridiculous for 20euros - offered nothing special for that. I did really like the location of the hotel - Utrecht Straat is just out the door, where there's plenty of nice restaurants and cafes, and the market "Marqt" is just around the corner as well, where you can pick up fresh munchies/produce. Also, there's a coffee company next door, for your morning caffeine fix.
One more thing that can balance out the negatives is that there's free internet in the room. If you can plug in with the ethernet cable they provide, it's free for the lowest speed. They charge for "faster" internet, but honestly, I used the free internet the whole time and had absolutely no issues loading pages.
So, in the end, I'd recommend the hotel if you can get a decent rate for the stay and don't mind that it's slightly worn out.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled on business
Breda, The Netherlands
Reviewed 9 September 2010

We stayed to celebrate our first year of marriage. When we arrived they gave us an upgrade which was very nice. The room was spacious en the bathroom was also very modern en nice. I liked the Rituals Bathroom amenities.
We booked a table at Restaurant Flo which is underneath the hotel and we had a perfect meal there. They even congratulated us on our marriage and presented us 2 glasses of champagne/prosecco! Later that evening the bottle of Prosecco (I ordered) was in the room when we came back (just like I asked).
We ordered a roomservice breakfast which was braught to us nice in time the next morning. It was very delicious!

Furthermore the location of this hotel is perfect in the centre of Amsterdam!

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 September 2010

I have just returned from a two nights stay here. The staff were more than friendly and were happy to advise where to visit and provide maps. The room was excellent, tea and coffee provided and the usually cosmetics that are provided in hotel rooms. The rooms are cleaned daily, and you can place a do not disturb sign on the door if you are not an early riser!!

The location to this hotel truly is great. With two entrances at either side of the building both taking you right into the heart of Amsterdam.

I found the hotel very clean and tidy overall and there was always someone on hand to help no matter what time.

I did not eat here, as there were plenty of great restaurants near by, however speaking to other guests who ate here there were no complaints!!

I would recommend this as a place to stay when you visit Amsterdam. And I will defiantly be staying here again.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with friends
Stockholm, Sweden
Reviewed 26 August 2010

Amazing bed and very nice bathroom - especially for couples.
Very good location, close to many bars and restaurants.
Check out the design in the rooms!

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple