“4 star hotel with 2 star service”

Hampshire Hotel - Rembrandt Square Amsterdam
Ranked #169 of 368 Hotels in Amsterdam
Manchester, United Kingdom
“4 star hotel with 2 star service”
Reviewed 24 January 2011

Stayed here based on good reviews bout the room. The room was clean, I'll give it credit. But few issues, firstly it's noisy. Each night I can hear the people partying late into the night outside. Secondly someone tried to get into my room twice, once successfully but luckily I was in, so nothing happened! Lastly, they hv this sensor for the stuff in the minibar in the room. Slightest movement of the pringles or nuts will render an additional €10 charge minimum! Because theres a charge of 5% of ur room rates on top of the price for the packet of nuts! So if it says €2.50 for the nuts expect to pay additional €10!! so key note is NEVER TOUCH THE STUFF! when i was dismay by the surprised city tax the receptionist was less than helpful n in fact borderline annoying or rude! For service, I'd say poor, giving it a little credit for the helpful concierge for helping with our luggage storage. The price of €100 per night for double bedroom is not worth the money. Got a much better hotel in the Hague with free Internet! Yes this hotel DOES NOT provide FREE Internet

• Stayed January 2011
1 Thank Agoh

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (197)
  • Arabic first
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 24 January 2011

Arriving around 6PM - speedy check-in, going up to your room finding the hallway completly full with garbage bags and other housekeeping "stuff" (blocking your room door) - having to move those garbage bags... Not a very nice welcome.

Checking the room and finding that the bathroom has not been cleaned properly: unacceptable.

Reporting both at the front desk, staff response - "well we need to clean the rooms sir" - yeah but that much stuff at 6PM? and not very good in cleaning....
No excsuses are offered, but the receptionist gives me a new room key and a "nod" - what is this? I ask "I give you another room, this one is a little bigger as well"...

Things like this could be handeled so much better...

Rooms are nicely appointed and over good sleep quality. Location is right in the middle of the old city center.

Breakfast for €17,- is also on the high side considering the location and the many options around the hotel - continue this and you can close your buffet very soon.

Very good food at Restaurant Flo next door, BTW.

Upon check-out another little surprise where I was told to pay city tax (the reservation online mentioned this was included in the rate) - but I was told this was wrong and needed to pay anyway. Upon contacting the hotel about this one day later, I was told to receive a response: yet this is still to arrive (two weeks).

Overall: probably better places in the city, definately with better staff and service.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled on business
4 Thank MRMARKV
Milford Haven, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 January 2011

After reading the reviews, I was a little sceptical about the reception staff and the noise from Rembrandtplein, however neither were an issue for me.

I did have some problems with the hotel, but none were enough to ruin my stay.

The reception staff are very polite and friendly, as is the concierge.

The rooms are cleaned to a good standard if you ignore the carpets, which I'll cover later, and have a great design. The bathrooms have glass double doors that are a little awkward but improve the look of the room 10 fold.

I found that housekeeping were completely erratic. We stayed for 4 nights.
The first morning they knocked once whilst saying "housekeeping" and proceeded to open the door whilst we were still in bed, the next day they knocked twice over a 2-3 hour period, then they knocked every half hour from 9 until 11.30 when we left... and finally they knocked once, we asked them to come back later and saw they were cleaning the room next to ours when we left, came back and it hadn't been touched.

One of the first things I noticed after entering the room was how filthy the carpets appeared. There were stains covering the entire red-brown-black spectrum all over the floor but they were actually quite clean.

I also found out that the walls between the rooms and the hallways are very thin. Fortunately hoovering is left until after 10.

Although this review seems to be filled with quite negative comments, I did have a fantastic stay. The location is great as it isn't directly on Rembrandtplein and there is a tram stop within a minutes walk. The hotel restaurant, Flo looked amazing but unfortunately I didn't eat there during my stay.

I'd also like to add that a couple of the negative reviews I read before I left seemed to be describing a very similarly named place called "Rembrandt Square Hotel" which is on Rembrandtplein above Smokeys Coffeeshop, so take them with a grain of salt.

Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 January 2011

This hotel is great, easy to get to (about 15 minute walk from central station) and right in the corner of Remembrandt Square. The rooms were clean with a modern design, very nice bathroom too! The reception staff were helpful, and you have access to the internet on 5 computers although on some the connection is slow.

If I was to go back to Amsterdam I would stay nearer to Dam Square as I think this is more central to most things (night life, red light district, train station, slightly nearer most attractions too including Ann Frank's house). Cafes are all over the city so it doesn't matter about them, there are many within walking distance wherever you are.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 16 January 2011

Please look at the photos of the dirty ro floors you can expect, between myself a friend we have had 4 different rooms in 2 days, carpets are disgusting in all 4 ,my first room had no heating , and suspicious stains ground into the carpet which looks like it never has seen a Hoover ! You could not walk around bare footed. 1 room u might not think it a general problem but 4!

• Stayed January 2011

Travellers are raving about these Amsterdam hotels

Port Talbot
Reviewed 11 January 2011

I came to this hotel with my husband for his 30th Birthday and when we arrived i was very suprised at how nice it looked.. Reception stafff were ok upon checking in and we stayed in thier sistewr hotel Eden Hotel. Room was very smart and we were given a canal view..Shower is great and the bathroom was very nice. I will say their beds were soooo comfy... Had the best night sleep!!! When we arrived back from the hotel the next day after sightseeing the hotel had put a voucher on the bed for my husbands birthday to have two free drinks in the bar at the hotel.. Thought that was very nice... I would certainly recommend this hotel!!!! Concierge was very nice upon leaving, booking us a taxi and helping us with our bags...Dont be put off by other reviews I never noticed nothing what other people were complaining about...Had the best weekend away..Amsterdam is fantastic!!!

Limerick
Reviewed 9 January 2011

When we arrived we were told we would be in an 'apartment' and not in the hotel building until normal check in time. When we returned to reception at 3pm as instructed they looked at us like we had 2 heads, saying we had agreed to stay in the apartment for the duration of the stay. This was untrue but we're easygoing so whatever. BIG MISTAKE. The apartment was a nightmare. We felt like the guy living upstairs was in our apartment as his every movment was very loud. The dog in the apartment next door loves barking. Beware of that! But as we were only there for three nights and were doing a decent amount of sightseeing etc we agreed to persevere. That was until a small black furry little creature ran out in front of us after night 2. And after I got him back into his hole he came out again with the boldness of an animal that had definately had previous human interaction.
The receptionist reacted with the unsurprised look of someone who had heard this complaint many times and was not only unhelpful but very rude. Only when I stressed my point many times did I get any satisfaction so be ready for an argument with someone who is either stupid or pretending to be so she didnt have to do any work. She said no other rooms would be available until 3pm, and I reasoned with her that the rooms don't automatically self clean at 3pm and that she could call me when the first one was available which she agreed to but obviously didn't do. One other receptionist was nice but the other guy must only be a receptionist in his spare time and a supermodel/billionaire/celebrity the rest of the time as he was so arrogant and ignorant about any small request I had.
Don't stay here if you feel your stay SHOULD be appreciated.
Don't stay here if you dont like mice.
Don't stay here if they try to put you in an apartment.
Stay here if location is everything but trust me its not worth it!

1 Thank colm18