“Great budget option in the heart of Amsterdam, very friendly staff”

Truelove Guesthouse
Ranked #129 of 238 Speciality Lodging in Amsterdam
Reviewed 23 May 2014

Although it was Christmas evening, a staff member gave us a very warm welcome after we texted him to come to the hotel. We had our room in the second house they have, about a 10 Minute walk from the main building. On that way we got a little tour through the history of Amsterdam. The rooms were convenient and for that price a real gem! Big, new windows, a well working heating and new bathroom facilities. The room was very clean and there was a kettle and tea and coffee, as well as a fridge, and TV provided. We faced some troubles with the room after we left, but the owners were very helpful and outstandingly friendly. Always again!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank KTPHR .
There are newer reviews for Truelove Guesthouse

Reviewed 14 April 2014

Despite the odd name, we booked this place. Amazing location, walking distance from all the action but far enough to be out of it when you need to be. Modern, clean room and friendly service at a great price.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Giles W
Reviewed 3 April 2014

We stayed at the attic room above the antique shop. The nearly vertical stairs seemed hazardous if one were not particularly coordinated, and almost brutal if carrying luggage. We heard that it's not atypical in Amsterdam.

Starting with the good: The living room was light and airy and of good size. Location was excellent--about 5-10 min walk from Ann Frank's House. Nearby were nice residential neighborhoods with restaurants and shops.

The not so good: We wanted a real kitchen, but what we had was a sink, an electric kettle, and a small fridge. Wi-fi was weak and slow. There was almost no signal in the attic bedroom.

The biggest problem for me was the toilet/shower room, size approximately 4 feet by 5 feet, containing a toilet, a tiny sink, and a curtain for the shower. It was also very dark and dingy looking, and had a slightly off smell. Our apartment was on the 2nd floor, but our toilet/shower was on the 1st floor, outside of our room, down a flight of very vertical spiral stairs. I wouldn't have cared if the bathroom was down the hallway, even shared. What bothered me most was this two-level physical arrangement. I would have given this place a much better rating if it wasn't for the bathroom.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank HopHopBunny
Reviewed 2 February 2014 via mobile

We booked directly with the owners and this was our second visit. I came last year with my boyfriend as a couple and this year returned with my friends.

If you want a clean comfortable and a vintage feel self catering accommodation then this is the place for you. Located in the jordaan district with accommodation surrounding the main streets you are staying in a lovely area of the dam so you feel like a local. It was only a ten min walk to dam square and the guys checking you in provide you with a Map and local knowledge such as where the markets were which were quaint.

If you arrive and the owners are not there don't panic just go opposite to the cafe they do the best coffee and breakfast!

There are mixed reviews so I presume some accommodation is better than others but I have seen 3 apartments and rooms so far and they are lovely. If you want everything on hand and foot go to a hotel.

We had a slight issue also with the toilet and it was rectified ASAP we were apologised to and reimbursed for one night. These people really care about your experience so do give them a try as I work in a 4star hotel and they could rival us!!!

Look forward to returning next year!

Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
5  Thank flowersinthewindow89
Reviewed 3 December 2013

Firstly, let me stress that I do not like leaving negative reviews. However, this place really does warrant one.

My partner and I decided to use a private hotel in Amsterdam, as opposed to the large commercial hotel we used in Utrecht the two nights previous (which was very good) to get more of a "local feel" whilst visiting the city. We unfortunately chose the "True Love" Guesthouse.

My partner and I arrived somewhat tired and disgruntled after dragging our bags from Centraal Station to what turned out to be an Antique shop on Prinsenstraat, rather than a Guest House. We were then informed that we must pay cash immediately before having to drag our bags a further 10 minutes walk from the shop. This was our oversight for not reading the website properly. However, our directions from the hotel informed us it was only a 5-7 minute walk from the station (try double that at least)

The fun really began once we entered the property. The room turned out to be what in the UK we would call a bedsit. I could go on forever about the negatives, but my favourites are:

1) There was a collection of old, tired furniture for us to use, which had not been dusted for some time. In fact, if you patted the seat below the window, you could see the plumes of dust appear. I walked in my bare feet during the night to use the toilet and my soles were black the next morning.

2) The wardrobe provided was full of the owners junk.

3) The sheets on the bed, whilst appearing washed were stained and faded. We had two very limp pillows also.

4) As others have stated, the toilet was in fact installed the centre of the room with a shower screen for privacy. Whilst my girlfriend and I are close, we are not close enough to hear each other going "Number 2"!

5) To avoid hearing each other go "Number 2" (See point 4), we attempted to drown out the noise with the TV. However the TV did not work.

6) We were given two small, stained, thread bare towels to last two nights, with no means of hanging them to dry sufficiently.

7) The "neighbours" in the building came and went at all hours of the day and night, which was rather unsettling.

As a seasoned traveler through my occupation, I have stayed in some very bad places. If I had paid pennies for this place, I would still be complaining. However at almost 100 Euro a night, I cant warn people enough to avoid this place.

Amsterdam however, is a fantastic city and almost made up for the very poor accommodation.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank zodiacmarine
Reviewed 12 October 2013

Nice and clean room.
Very good location in the herat of Amsterdam.
Everything is close. It is ten minutes walk from Dam square, Westerkerk and Central station. Neighborhood is great.
We stayed two nights and we felt like real locals. Recommand for everyone

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 October 2013

My husband and I stayed at Truelove over a weekend in early October. Our experience at True love was perfect for us. We got into Amsterdam in the late morning and went to the antique shop We waited for awhile at the great coffee shop across the street. The coffee shop called the shopkeeper for us. We had to wait a bit, but got into our room early. We did have to walk about 10 minutes back toward the train station, but were prepared to travel with compact rolling luggage. The room was on a quite side street and just around the corner from one of the great shopping and dining streets in Amsterdam. Close to Jordaan market, shops, dining. The room was huge - not fancy, but perfectly comfortable and quiet. The building is for sale, so don't know if this room will be available for long. This was a perfect spot with a great price!!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple