“Not My Usual Creature Comforts, but.....”

Truelove Guesthouse
Ranked #138 of 226 Speciality Lodging in Amsterdam
Ashford, United Kingdom
“Not My Usual Creature Comforts, but.....”
Reviewed 13 August 2007

...... the Truelove was a nice comfortable place to stay in Amstersdam. I'm normally a luxury camper and like my creature comforts i.e. hairdryer, fluffy towels etc. but I was pleasantly surprised by the apartment we stayed in at the Truelove. I had read the reviews on TripAdvisor for the Truelove before going to Amsterdam and to be honest, I was quiet worried, as they were mostly negative. However, when we got there, we found the apartment to be basic but clean with a huge living area which included TV, CD player and fully equipped kitchen. The bedroom was light and airy with a very comfortable bed.

On arrival at the guesthouse, we had to wait for the owner to arrive but when he did, he was friendly and welcoming. He gave us the option to settle our bill on arrival or departure and gave us lots and lots of useful information on things to do and see in Amsterdam (he even marked everything out on a map for us). He walked us around to the apartment, which was a five minute walk and showed us around the aparment, explaining everthing as he went along. My only comments about the apartment, were the sink in the bathroom did not work and we only had hand towels for the shower and not bath towels. Other than that, I would recommend the Truelove for anyone staying in Amsterdam who requires basic accommodation.

• Liked — The size and cleanliness
  • Disliked — The small towels and broken sink
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Ireland
Reviewed 25 April 2007

I really don't know why so many people gave bad reviews. I stayed here in April '07. Admittedly when I booked I thought I would be staying in a guesthouse, but truelove has 14 units (they told me) and will soon have 25, in addition to the rooms in the guesthouse itself. The units are apartments all around the Jordaan (one of the nicest areas in Amsterdam). My apartment cost €65/night - cheap by Amsterdam and it was MASSIVE. Huge double bedroom with lots of wardrobe space, and a huge living area with a sectioned-off kitchen. The living space had a couch (that converted to a sofa bed) tv, table & chairs, lots of space & lots of light. The thing I liked most about the apartment was the neighbourhood. The view out the (several & large) windows was just beautiful - and very Dutch.

Maybe not all the units are this good but my experience was great.

• Liked — The neighbourhood
  • Stayed April 2007, travelled solo
Reviewed 15 October 2006

I booked this at the last minute so can't really complain, at least they had room. Small one room apartment on the ground floor of a building a few blocks from their shop. The good points: comfortable bed, place seemed clean, fairly quiet, very central location. The not so good. Furnishings basically youth hostel quality. The bathroom / kitchenette combination (yuck) was a makeshift booth in the middle of the room, with walls that didn't reach the ceiling. No bath towels and none arrived, though they were requested twice. No daily service to make up the room (and they charge 100 euros a night!). Ten percent surcharge if they run your credit card. House policy of no left luggage - "there are lockers at Central Station" - though the girl did let me leave my bag for an hour. Whoever heard of a guesthouse with no luggage closet? Seems like there are lots of interesting hotels in Amsterdam, won't be returning to this place.

• Stayed September 2006
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank SoFLGringo
Cheshire, uk
Reviewed 5 July 2006

We booked this apartment on the internet and it was only after we came back that we saw the negative comments that we felt we had to let our feelings known about it. We arrived at the antique shop on a friday evening where we were told that the people opposite who own a little cafe would phone to let the owners know we had arrived and true to their word they did and even offered us a seat to sit and wait which we didn't need as they arrived quickly. We were took to another apartment which was a short stroll away and it was lovely. It was very modern and cosy and a short stroll from the centre. Shaun was very helpful and said if we needed anything to let them know or to call in at the antique shop. All in all it was a lovely break and would recomend these apartments!!

• Stayed June 2006
4 Thank 2point4
London,UK
Reviewed 31 May 2006

After reading the reviews of the place we were very worried about what we would find. We had even thought about changing hotels but Amsterdam was fully booked!! The "room" we got was actually an apartment in proper Dutch style, along the canal and very characteristic steep stairs. The welcome was quite friendly and we didn't need further assistance, leaving us with lots of freedom. We were explained that the guest house runs 6 apartments around the same area. Our accomodation was cozy, close to the centre and very handy for every trip within or outside the city (the train station was only 10 minutes walk). This Guest house does not offer much interaction, but it is good for independent travellers . We are writing this review as the other reviews did not match our experience.

• Stayed May 2006
2 Thank Kosharn
charlotte
Reviewed 17 April 2006

I agree with all opinions about this place that other travelers described. My biggest gripe was that we paid for a certain room w/ a patio and were given a totally different room. The owner was unphased by this and told us that it was just too bad. I can't explain how horrible it felt to have been so mislead- especially when I had kept in good contact before we had arrived. The room we were given was less than average- the couch was awful, mattress on the floor and the bathroom wasn't even part of our room- it was down a flight of stairs and in the hall. PLEASE Think twice before staying here! At first it appears to have a lovely charm about it (from the website) but IT IS SO DISAPPOINTING!!!! I'm still taken aback by this after all this time b/c it was the only thing that went wrong in Amsterdam- other than this place, Amsterdam is wonderful.

• Stayed April 2003
4 Thank jessicacbarnes

Travellers are raving about these Amsterdam hotels

Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 24 January 2006

We stayed here two years ago in a beautiful suite above the antique shop, so when going back a year later we decided to stay there again. I wrote to Sean in February requesting this room and making the booking for August. Seven months in advance, and even confirmed it before we left! When we arrived in August we weren't given the suite we had booked we were give a shabby room about four minutes away, the sheets were worn with tears in them and there was an emptpy chest freezer in the bedroom!! I was very upset having booked so far in advance, but they just shrugged their shoulders said we would never find anything else in Amsterdam at this late stage and asked us to pay €250 for two nights for the room immediately. It was the worst start to a holiday I have ever had and wouldn't recommend this accommodation to anyone as you have no idea what you will end up with.

• Stayed September 2005