“Do NOT go there”

Princess Hostel Amsterdam
Ranked #355 of 371 Hotels in Amsterdam
Reviewed 29 June 2009

The toilet and showers were disguisting. I had tablets stolen from my room. One of the two staff I saw was extremely rude. I thought it was actually very expensive considerikng the poor state of the placed.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled solo
There are newer reviews for Princess Hostel Amsterdam

Reviewed 25 June 2009

Bearing in mind Amsterdam can be an extremely epensive city to stay in, the Hotel Princess was fine, the receptionist was friendly and respectful, the room adequate, sheets clean, and breakfast was basic but ok. Good location just south of Leidseplein (10 mins), and within walking distance of the northern entrance of Vondelpark. There's also an Albert Heijn supermarket located nearby on Overtoom.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled solo
Reviewed 3 June 2009

My friend and I stayed at The Hotel Princess (Hotel Perv), we didnt have a very plesant stay. The hotel receptionist was very pervy and was getting very irrate when we said we didnt want him to come to our room and insisted he would let himself in. I have never had this experience before and find it very unprofessional. Also another receptionist when we were leaving was very flirtalious and wanted a kiss before we left. We didnt have our room cleaned once when we stayed there for 4 nights, when we arrived there it wasnt that clean anyway. My friend and I didnt feel very safe in the hotel, which seemed to be more like a hostel. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone. Amsterdam is lovely place to visit we loved it but were very dissapointed with the hotel

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 25 May 2009

the hotel is very well situated. we took public transport from the airport (train to centraal then tram 1) and it was easy to get to. 5 mins from busy busy leidseplein which is handy. check in was simple.
we had a room on floor 4 - very small and tiring climbing all those steep steep stairs but thats normal for amsterdam. no en suite but sharing a "douche" isn't that bad. never had to queue etc.
breakfast was simple but ample. nice dining room

the guy on reception was a bit of a ....... we ordered a taxi to the airport and he started lecturing us on how we must wait for the taxi otherwise there will be a problem - uncalled for.

overall pretty much perfect for what we needed - try simple bar just up the road (towards leidesplein) good food, nice heineken and friednly service

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 5 August 2008

My girlfriend and I stayed in Hotel Princess two weeks ago (July 2008) for three nights. It was my second stay in the hotel, last time was approx 2003 and it hasn't changed a bit. It is a very basic hotel, you get what you pay for though (and I suggest you book it from their own website to get the cheapest rate). I have never had a problem with the cleanliness of the place, if you are a reasonably hardened traveller then this place will be a walk in the park. While we're on the subject of walking in the park I must say that the prime location of this hotel is the main reason you should stay here. The Vondelpark is a 3 minute walk away and is a beautiful place to go on a nice day. Leidseplein is a 5 minute walk and the rest of the city centre attractions are all within easy walking range too. Hotel Princess is located 10 minutes walk from Dam Square in a lovely part of the city. This is nice if you've had a smoke and don't want to be in the minging, rank, seedy part of town any more!

The other reviews which strongly criticise this hotel are clearly written by people who are used to a very high standard and who are perhaps naive to think that the low tariff at HP will bring them some kind of luxury. They all complain about people smoking weed in the rooms (its Amsterdam, what did you expect?) but this is no longer an issue as the Dutch government have imposed a smoking ban - therefore no smoking in any of the rooms any more...unless you get one of the two rooms in Hotel Princess which have a balcony ;)

Anyway, this hotel is fine, it will do if you are just staying in Amsterdam for a few nights. If you're heading to the dam for a quick smoking weekend, this place will certainly do, I'm sure it'll be the least of your worries if you've been blazing up some white widow :) Basically if you want a clean, basic room in a perfect location then this place is ideal. If you expect higher standards then perhaps you ought to revise your budget...

Oh, and unfortunately it is true about that unfriendly rude guy who works on reception (tall, slightly long hair). But the guy who does the other shift (short black dude, short hair) makes up for it. He is a really nice guy, he has been working there for years and is always happy to help you. Just ignore the guy with the bad attitude. Like he says, what do you expect from a one star hotel?!

Hope this helps!

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank StuGdogg
Reviewed 7 May 2008

When we arrived on friday the 2nd of May, there where an arrogant guy at the reception, he doesn't have any knowledge of customer service and is the very unprofessional. Be carefull if you are not English Native speaker, hei s going to make joke and humiliate you.

The rooms were dirty and the toilet even worse. But the thing that you really they need to change is the wrong information on the web site, on my email confirmation it was written that all the major cards were accepted...how is that possible if you don't even have a machine???

There are 20 rooms in the hotel and just 3 toilets, on the 4th floor there are none. By the way no hygiene at all. The room were small, dirty and very smelly. DON'T TRUST THE PICTURE ON THE WEB SITE!!!!! IT'S AN OTHER HOTEL I THINK!
I wouldn't even recommend the hotel to my worse enemy!!!!

It is more a Hostel than a Hotel, and the worse I have ever seen!

Luciana

Stayed: May 2008
2  Thank Lucyred39
Reviewed 23 February 2008

The staff who answered to our queries (I supposed was the owner) was rude and proud. I feel that service was ultimately most important, good location is only secondary when it comes to the tourism industry. A big disgrace to the service sector.

• Stayed: April 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)