“cheap and fab location”

Princess Hostel Amsterdam
Ranked #358 of 372 Hotels in Amsterdam
Reviewed 6 May 2010

I found this hotel to be a very reasonable price and very comfortable for a one star hotel. the staff were friendly and very happy to let us check in earlier than their usual check in time as we arrived quite early. Breakfast was very basic but sufficient seeing as it was included in the price we payed.

• Stayed: March 2007, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ZainyZoe

Reviewed 19 March 2010

This is my 2nd stay at the Hotel Princess. I stayed with my adult son in Aug 2009, as well. I enjoyed the location and staff so much, I booked again for my stay in March 2010.
Having read the other reviews, I can only say that we never encountered rude staff. All staff we encountered were friendly, helpful and professional. My room on both stays was cleaned every day I was there (total of 4 the first time and 5 the second stay).
The rooms are small, but I travel to see the place I am visiting, not to hang out in my hotel room! The beds were clean and comfortable.
The only thing I would change is to have a teensy bit more leg room in the 3rd floor toilet! Knees on the door made it a bit tight! :) But it was clean.
The showers are BIG and the hot water feels GREAT after a long day walking around town.
The continental breakfast in the morning is fine. 2-3 kinds of meat, cheese, white and brown bread, juice, cereal and hot beverages from the machine. IT'S FREE folks, so I have no idea what people are complaining about.
Additionally, there is FREE wireless internet if you've brought your laptop or 3G phone, I never had a problem getting reception on my iPhone. There are also 2 computers downstairs and for 2 Euros an hour (cheap and affordable!!!) you can use them.
I would definitely recommend this hotel/hostel and would stay there again.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank flamidwyfe
Reviewed 13 March 2010

As the price of this accommodation is very resonable I did not expect anything which was much more than basic. However I did expect to be treated with common human decency and this is certainly not available at this hotel (hostel!). The staff were generally fine, but one member of staff in particular was rude and obnoxious beyond belief. To such an extent that I had to confront him about his behaviour. After this point he changed his attitude and became more friendly. I would advise all travellers staying here to do the same and not to tolerate this kind of behaviour.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled solo
3  Thank balnagask44
Reviewed 16 January 2010

Stayed here over New Year with a friend. In a great location, 5 minute walk to the Leidsplein, and across from the Vondelpark. Hostel isn't a party/social hostel, there isn't a bar. Rooms are basic but comfortable. You get a keycard when checking in that you use to get access to the front door and to your room. Lockers are a decent size, you can hire them for €5 (refundable key deposit). Showers are big but basic but the water is hot which is what counts. Toilet was small, but it's not like I spent loads of time in there or anything! Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 23 November 2009

We stayed in this hotel few days and would never come back again. It's more expensive than a hostel, but has same conditions: bath and toilet on the floor, dirty towels. Breakfast is poor: drinks from the machine, meat, cheese, bread, serial, boiled eggs - stuff not to dye! :) Rooms are samll and noisy, you can hear everything. Of course people come to Amster not to stay in the hotel, but it's possible to find cheaper palce with same conditions.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled with friends
1  Thank Ishechka
Reviewed 18 September 2009

there isn't many things to say about it...real bad,arrogant and disrespectful staff,and when im say this is REALLY disrespectful bad jokes and treating u like trash!!!Besides that, and itches all over the night i could't almost sleep, i made the reservation for 2 people in a 4 bed room 2 months before and when i arrived they have put us in different rooms cause they didnt had 2 beds available in the same room!i dont recommend anyone go there.theydont clean rooms in the entirestay, the guy that serves the breakfast gone to kitchen's sink blow his nose lol more...let me think....no staff after 23:00 o'clock, it means if there's any problem no one to help(but fortunatly it was nice cause when u enter after that hour u dont have to meet them again).the location was not too bad,but rooms very hot,u need to sleep with the window open and there's much noise that i needed to put cotton in my ears to sleep.its boring and people that go there are strange and didnt seem tourists

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled with friends
2  Thank tomane1st
Reviewed 15 August 2009

Having read the reviews of the hotel before I left, I was slighty wary about going to this hotel. As soon as we got there, we were informed that the hotel had no mention of our booking. Thankfully, the staff there were friendly and were able to sort us out with alternate accommodation at no extra price. The staff wer really friendly and were able to give us advice on how to make the most out of our trip. Although the bathrooms and toilets are communal, given how reasonable the price for the hotel were I can live with it. The hotel's within walking distance of the major city hotspot, and there's a tram line near the hotel than can take you to any of the cultural aspects of the city.

If you're interested in staying in Amsterdam on a budget, then I would reccommend staying at the Hotel Princess.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with friends