“revisit”
Review of B&B Jordaan

B&B Jordaan
Ranked #89 of 338 Amsterdam B&B and Inns
Reviewed 13 April 2012

As someone who rarely goes to the same place twice, I was amazed when I insisted we stayed here again. Yet again, I can say that the room was clean, sunny and comfortable. the shower hot and immaculate. Charlotte was as ever, an excellent host whose ability to make you feel the most important visitor was second to none. They have since adapted the access to the room to make it wheelchair friendly , there is a lip however so am not certain an electric chair could manage. It was, however, completely secure and helped a great deal. I would never hesitate to visit again nor recommend it to anyone wishing to stay right in the heart of Amsterdam, yet in a quiet leafy street full of character.

Room Tip: If you are in a wheelchair or have mobility restrictions make sure you tell Charlotte that when book...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank wheelchair2go

Reviewed 12 April 2012

Our family stayed for 4 nights here in the family room. We loved the area - about 20 mins walk from central station and away from the hustle and bustle of the city. The only noise we heard from our room was that of the chuch bells, but you soon get used to them. The room looks out onto the garden and to a pen with chickens and rabbits in (I think these belong to a pre-school building), the children enjoyed watching these.

The room was very clean and of a good size for the four of us. The children slept in bunk beds behind a curtain. The top bunk has a guard rail and was great fun for our eldest. I found the ladder up a little precarious but neither of our kids had any problems with it so I think this was just me! There is also a small playground in the next street along which came in useful for us.

Breakfast was served in our room promptly at the time we requested. Initially I was a little disappointed there wasn't a communal breakfast room but it's not that much of an issue. I liked coffee and tea being available to make in your room whenever you wanted, as we drink a lot of it!

Charlotte was very efficient with our reservation booking and helpful throughout our stay. She was able to help with recommendations and eager to ensure we were happy with our room.

We don't normally stay in B&Bs as we tend to rent apartments instead (easier with children). However we'd definitely recommend this to other families looking for a quiet and accommodating place to stay.

• Stayed: April 2012
2  Thank kyber1993
Reviewed 31 March 2012

Ideally situated in the Jordaan area, a nice little cozy B&B were you can enjoi real atmosphere were local people live. The place is very clean, breakfast is excellent and varied every morning. Charlotte, the host, is very friendly and professional and will tell you precious information that will suit all your need. Don't miss the opportunity to ask her about what's on in Amsterdam and where to go and eat. It has been a great week end and Would definitely reccommend to anyone

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Nicola T
Reviewed 25 March 2012

We stayed here back around May/June in 2011, we have just been a bit slack uploading any of our reviews from our trip. We aren't usually ones for staying in a B&B but decided with the cost of Amsterdam hotels that we would give it a go. Charlotte is an excellent guide, she can tell u anything you want to know and has plenty of recommendations of things to see depending on your interests. The place itself is a fair walk from the main train station and main strip of Amsterdam (about 20 mins to walk) but in a way, we kind of liked being out a bit because it was very quiet. But if you want to be nice and close to everything, you may need to find something else. Bed was comfortable, just really need more then the 1 pillow that was provided as they were a little old and hence very flat. We had a lovely little view of a garden area. Tea & Coffee facilities etc which was nice. Breakfast which Charlotte brings in to you every morning was nice because it was a typical dutch breakfast (she would bring in different things each day such as cheeses, breads, cakes, meats, different spreads etc).

The only real issue we had with this place is the bathroom. The shower and rest of the bathroom are all one room, as in no curtain/door on shower meaning every time someone showered, the whole room got soaked, the toilet, the sink, anything you had on the sink, everything. Then you have to dry the floor yourself so you can use the toilet during the day without wetting your feet. They have provided you with a little squeedgy thing on a stick to help with the water but I think they money would perhaps have been better spent on a curtain. The shower pressure is also quite bad (ok if you don't want to wash your hair) but we had a lot of issues even getting it hot. In saying all this, I have read through the 'terrible' reviews of this place & I can tell you to discard them as they are incorrect. Charlotte is a very reasonable and friendly host. Would we stay here again, perhaps not. Do we regret staying here - no, it was fine for the short time we stayed and there are a lot of good points about it, the bathroom really just sent us a bit batty.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank RenJamBrisbane
BBJordaan, Owner at B&B Jordaan, responded to this reviewResponded 26 March 2012

I’m pleased to hear that our location, the garden-rooms beds, breakfast & coffee/tea facilities were much appreciated. Also nice to read that my personal tips on things to do worked well.

When I bring breakfast to our guests I ask every morning: ‘Is there anything I can do or help you with, or do you have any questions?’. This way many questions are answered but unfortunately sometimes guests forget to mention important things like this couples difficulties with the shower and whish for thicker pillows.

It is unfortunate because both could be solved immediately. [-The shower-mixer has a (obliged) safety button to protect you from unexpected hot water-levels (you need to press it to get to the highest temperatures) and we have extra (and also anti-allergy) pillows available.]

We do take the critique on the absence of a shower curtain serious as it is mentioned here 3 times in as many years. So although the bathrooms are designed this way and most guests are perfectly happy with it: we have decided now to install a shower curtain in the garden room (and maybe also in all other rooms). Just because it seems necessary for some of our guests so they can feel home (and that it what we aim for) .

Looking forward to meeting you.
Charlotte van Sante (Host and owner of B&B Jordaan)

Reviewed 20 February 2012

Very good LOCATION, easy walking to most places you're likely to want to visit. A quiet, peaceful, interesting & safe area.

ROOM: OK, very clean, bit small, cramped & not enough storage, hooks on the backs of doors would help. Bathroom was posing as a wet room but drainage not very good so floor remained wet despite the use of a mop/scraper (provided). 2 tiny beds tied together by the legs, we used them as 2 singles but they're very narrow & we felt in danger of rolling onto the floor! Garden is more a yard full of overgrown ivy, garden pots, and a full rubbish bin which wasn't emptied for the 4 nights we were there. Hopefully Charlotte will turn it back into a garden for the summer.

BREAKFAST was great - ideal for us, slight variations each day & plenty of it.

SERVICE: BEWARE - you stay here on Charlotte's terms - not yours (as the paying guests). We felt she was doing us a favour by allowing us to stay there. We found her very efficient & precise to the point of being dictatorial, uncompromising, demanding and bossy. Her attitude verges on rudeness.

There is no housekeeping, you must clear away your breakfast things, take them to the kitchen, collect clean cups later in the day & inform her if you need more coffee/loo rolls etc or if your bin needs emptying as she doesn't check the rooms at all. This is the first place I've EVER stayed where the beds aren't made or the room cleaned (especially the bathroom!) during the whole of our stay. We were paying her (& it's not cheap) for a holiday & when I'm on holiday I don't want to have to deal with domestic issues or worry whether there's enough loo paper!

I won't stay there again or recommend this B&B, preferring somewhere more friendly where the comfort & relaxation of the guests is more important than any slight inconvenience to the proprieter.

We love Amsterdam & had a good time but our holiday was marred by the rules & regulations we had to adhere to.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank rozandmike
BBJordaan, Owner at B&B Jordaan, responded to this reviewResponded 21 February 2012

I’m pleased to hear that these 2 ladies found our location perfect, our rooms clean and breakfast lovely. I had no chance to speak to the lady that in fact made the reservation as she was still asleep every morning when I brought out breakfast. At no point during their stay I received any complaints.

The things they bring up surprise me: Yes, we do ask everybody to put breakfast just outside your room when you are ready (so we don't have to disturb you by asking wether you're ready or not). Our beds are of a normal size 80x200 cm each and of course there were no flowers in the garden as the snow just disappeared around the day they arrived (it will take a few weeks before tulips will be blooming again).

Remarkable to me was the difficulty they had with completing the reservation. Instead of the average 2-6 mails it took this time 24 mails + 4 telephone calls to make sure that the reservation was complete and that they had saved all details they needed to arrive. I did do my very best to help in that process.

I also was available all the time during their stay. I made sure that they could stay an extra night, got them clean cupsetc. every day, toiletpaper and arranged for a late luggage pick up and taxi on their day of departure.

Personally I was not very happy with the wheat (drugs) that they brought into our home and which was on their table when I brought breakfast. Our website says clearly that we do not allow: pets, smoking or drugs.

Reviewed 4 February 2012

We had a great stay at B&B Jordaan! The neighborhood is lovely and quiet...yet within easy walking distance of some great restaurants and Anne Frank's house. Charlotte was a wonderful hostess - she is fluent in English and every morning she would ask about our plans for the day and would give us tips on transportation, sights, and restaurants for dinner - every place she recommended was fantastic! We were two couples - our friends had a delightful room on the ground floor with a beautiful terrace and private garden - ours was one flight up and faced the street, but we heard very little street noise and after 11 PM all was completely quiet (we were there during the height of the tulip season). We did get a glimpse into a larger room with bunks and a double bed which would be great for a family - this room also faced the back garden so would be lovely and quiet for children who might go to bed early. The beds are very comfortable, the windows are large with room darkening curtains, and the rooms were spotlessly clean. We would absolutely stay here again!

Room Tip: The ground floor room has a beautiful terrace and garden.
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank texmom661
Reviewed 27 January 2012

The Bed and Breakfast Jordaan is situated in a lovely old quarter of Amsterdam close to many small boutiques and restaurants. The neighbourhood is quiet, safe and within easy walking distance of many important tourist sites. Tram and bus stops are nearby. The proprietor is very friendly, gracious and helpful no matter what your needs. She takes a personal interest in the well-being of her guests (unlike large hotel chains). The room was spacious, bright and (most importantly) clean. The breakfast was most satisfactory and plentiful (eggs, meat, cheese, bread, yogurt, juice, coffee, tea). The beds are quite comfortable. The temperature of the rooms are individually controlled by you. We were very pleased with our stay at this establishment and recommend it most heartily.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family