“Absolutely amazing!”

Restaurant Johannes
Reserve with
Restaurant Johannes is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #55 of 3,998 Restaurants in Amsterdam
Good for: Business meetings
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Canal Ring (Grachtengordel)
Reviewed 10 July 2014

I went here with a group of 8 colleagues to celebrate the ending of a big project. We read about this place and had high expectations, but we were still blown away by the food and the amazing wines. I suggest reading the other reviews.. I liked the fact that we had a table in the back, a bit separated from the rest of the restaurant, which gave us some privacy and, more importantly, the other guests some peace. Groups can be loud.. Cannot recommend this place enough.

There are newer reviews for Restaurant Johannes

Reviewed 7 July 2014

Well, Restaurant Johannes certainly lived up to their position at number one on the Tripadvisor listings. Choose your number of courses, tell them anything you don't want to eat and be prepared to be pleasantly surprised.
Lovely to see Chefs doing innovative, surprising things with really fresh ingredients - treating the food itself as King. We chose to have the matching wines and it really did add to the experience. Yet we were not compelled to have all the matches - we could just choose the first one and "see how we go" said the charming waitress. Service was great - not too much but enough commentary to both the food and wine to make it a deeper experience.
Loved it - however I think it is going to get harder to get a table now with the trip advisor recommendations.

1  Thank Shanara1
Reviewed 6 July 2014 via mobile

My dad and I ate at Restaurant Johannes on the last night of a week long trip spent in Paris and Amsterdam. We at multiple incredible restaurants throughout the trip but I think we both agreed that this was our favorite. The wait staff was incredibly welcoming, but more importantly the food was absolutely delicious. They have a pre set menu which changes monthly. You have the option of choosing four, five, or six courses. Despite the set menu the chefs were incredibly flexible and accommodating; I would happily eat anything they wanted to serve me though because each dish was truly wonderful. Our waitress, however, asked us if we had any allergies or dislikes before the meal. My father did not want the mackerel they were serving for the first course so they happily prepared him beef tartar instead. Upon arrival he was skeptical of the idea of a preset menu, but our experience at this restaurant sold him on the concept. Each course was beautifully prepared and absolutely wonderful. The second course was a delightful dish with turbo, and the fourth was an amazing rendition of beef and potatoes. The meal culminated with a white chocolate and cherry themed dessert which was incredible. After we devoured everything on our plate the waiter returned and told us we weren't quite done; there was one more surprise in store! He flipped over one of our empty dishes to reveal a hidden cherry cream brûlée, which like everything else was amazing. We thoroughly enjoyed our meal at this lovely restaurant. It was a great way to end out trip. I would highly recommend it to anyone who really appreciates incredible cooking.

1  Thank Julietb95
Reviewed 6 July 2014

Can't help myself. Very grateful to the TripAdvisor community for pointing us to this restaurant, where we had one of the best evenings ever. Where to start?
The space is lovely--in an old canal house that has been beautifully and stylishly renovated. Very comfortable and relaxing. The other diners were diverse and fun to watch--fashionable young couples, sweet families, international. Busy and exciting, but nonetheless quiet enough to enjoy a conversation.
And we couldn't stop talking about the food and wine! I try to avoid foodiness, especially the extremely pretentious variety, but the food was so interesting, delicious, and articulate it was hard to ignore. And the wine pairings were unusual and very apt. So as each new course arrived it grabbed our attention and we continued to return to the conversation throughout the subsequent days.
In short, it was an exquisite and memorable evening. At 90 euros per person, it was not inexpensive, but we have paid more for much less pleasure.

1  Thank Barb1976
Reviewed 4 July 2014 via mobile

The whole experience here was simply fantastic. Really friendly service and accommodating host, beautifully constructed dishes that were just the right side of pretentious and nowhere near as expensive as you think it will be. Am torn between recommending this place to everyone I know, or keeping it a secret. I guess this review leans in the direction of the first option.

1  Thank dwinterbottom