“Excellent Gourmet Food and Service”

Restaurant Johannes
Reserve with
Restaurant Johannes is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #126 of 4,358 Restaurants in Amsterdam
Good for: Business meetings
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Canal Ring (Grachtengordel)
Reviewed 14 August 2014

Very fine gourmet restaurant, centrally located overlooking one of the canals, its kitchen compares favorably with great chefs like Alain Ducasse or David Bouley. Excellent food and service, coupled with inviting atmosphere and attractive decor. Staff was cordial and attentive, while serving several complimentary "amuse bouche" before dinner, along with complimentary canapes following desert. Menu is a seasonal changing "pris fixe" format with chefs choices and a selection of three or four main courses. On our recent visit we had a vegan in our group of six and the chef handled his special needs easily.

2  Thank Bud R R
Write a ReviewReviews (1,096)

Reviewed 14 August 2014 via mobile

I made reservations after reading the rave reviews on TripAdvisor. And Johannes Restaurant lived up to every rave review! The food is unlike anything you will get at other restaurants. The chef is incredibly talented and creates amazing one-of-a-kind dishes! There is no menu and they surprise you with each course. They are also very accommodating since I told the waiter that my husband and I don't like fish. As a result they made us a dish to replace the fish dish. The service is like the food - absolutely fantastic! This restaurant is an absolute must!!! And definitely make reservations in advance. We went on a Monday night and it was completely booked due to word-of-mouth and the TripAdvisor reviews. Also, we didn't think the bill was expensive but we live in New York City. Plus the Johannes is worth every penny. It's not just a restaurant...it's a true culinary experience. The portions for each course were generous plus they give you two appetizers that are not part of the courses. We each ordered a 4 course meal, which was the minimum, and I believe they go up to 6 or 7 courses. Four courses plus the two appetizers ended up being a lot of food for us. Definitely make reservations and go! I wish they would open a restaurant in Manhattan!

2  Thank Deb S
Reviewed 13 August 2014

because every single one of its trained staff put their efforts to give you a wonderful evening. A very cozy, quiet yet joyful place. They only do 1 service per each table the hole night, so no hurries, no confusion. The chef is top class and he conducted an exeptional meal, in a 5 course dinner. There's no menu. As it should always be! No need to buy ingredients that go to waste by not having noone ordering the "x" or the "y" dish. Less waste means less expensive meals.
I didn't find it expensive, by the way. You are going there to "watch a show" like an opera or a play, plus eating (2 in 1) . Their art is dinning, and for that night I felt welcome, my palate was pranked, i was surprised, i learnt about wines, harmony between dishes, originality, etc
I lost the count at the extra things they brought us and the complexity of the dishes (in the dessert I think there were raspberries cooked in 6 different forms, for example.
thank you for a great experience!

Reviewed 12 August 2014

best restaurant in amsterdam for sure!!! no doubts about it!!!
atmosphere is majestic, service is flawless and food is 5 star micheline...
if you go and visit Amsterdam, make sure to stop and eat at least a meal here... worth it!!!

2  Thank Sblissfold
Reviewed 10 August 2014 via mobile

Great service, great food. We had the 5 course tasting menu but if felt like 8 or 9 with the little appetisers you get! This and restaurant Red our the best places in the city to eat!

1  Thank Jonny H