“Everything We Needed.”

Hotel de Westertoren
Ranked #237 of 371 Hotels in Amsterdam
Reviewed 18 September 2011

My partner and I booked this hotel online from Australia and loved the pictures and reviews. Being a young couple backpacking Europe we were on a budget and just needed something with decent bedding and a shower. This hotel was close to the central train station (10-15 min walk or 7eur taxi ride) and had trams passing directly outside. Close to the centre town square, Anne Franks house and the most AMAZING dutch pancake restaraunt that EVERYONE must try - Sarah's Pancakes.
We had the room on the top floor with a balcony. The room was typical European size (small but not uncomfortable and we even had large bags) and had a shower, TV, coffee facilities, and a really comfortable bed. Toilet was right outside our door and we got a continental breakfast delivered daily. The staff were also incredibley friendly and even helped us with tours and let us leave our bags in the office for the day when we had to check out.
The only things newcomers should be prepared for is the stairs and the gorgoues cat resident (just incase your severly allergic - she doesn't come near you though). The pictures tell no lies about the stairs but you do get used to it. All the stairs are like this in the city though so it's nothing unusual.
I am happy to recommend this hotel!

Room Tip: When I made the booking I added a comment asking for the room I wanted and the staff had no problem...
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jessska
There are newer reviews for Hotel de Westertoren

Reviewed 2 August 2011

The Hotel is located near by Dam square, the centre of Amsterdam. It's well connected by tram, and offers airport shuttle service free.
The room was very clean and the owner brought us breakfast in the room. The breakfast was very delicious and there was always a kettle for making coffe when you want.
There is a cat who roams the rooms, it's very funny.
The owners are very kind and hospitable and the Hotel is excellent value for money.
Great holiday!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank francybefy
Reviewed 8 February 2011

Great hotel, friendly staff, yeah the stairs are high, but so is everywhere in amserdam, its in a great location, near to everything, no long walks back,
I went with 6 friends, the room was so comfy and clean, The cat there is really friendly. Cheap prices and great service!! I would definatly recommend and stay again!

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank lauragaul
Reviewed 23 January 2011

To anyone that is thinking of booking to stay here please save yourself the trouble and go somewhere else. We arrived at the hotel only to find our room was not ready, even though we arrived some 2 hours after the check-in time (12pm). The condition of the room was shabby, out-dated and it was very poorly maintained. They didnt have a room key for us on arrival and said we would have to wait half an hour for the key.
The receptionist struggled to comprehend basic english and called for 'Mark' (a manager?) through another of the hotels bedroom doors. He didnt appear, but mumbled through the door - what he a said I do know - I presume it was something to do with the fact that the establishment is a shambles and they were not ready for us.
It was a like a scene straight out of a Dutch version of Faulty Towers - only we wern't laughing. Obviously we opted not to stay at the hotel (having to still pay a nights fee as we didn't cancel before 7 days of our arrival) - and found the Park Plaza (located close to Vondelpark) for £30 more for the entire stay. The Park Plaza is a hotel in a different league to the Westertoren - amazing what you can get for a few quid more.

Beware.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank zac_hobbs
Reviewed 23 December 2010

This is at the bottom of my still stay list for A-dam. It is inexpensive but very dusty and they had to be essentially bribed to change the sheets. If I had to I would stay there again as the price is low and location perfec but I could do better for 75 Euros a night.. I got tired asking for clean sheets and the dust was very bad in the room. I routinely say I dont care much what the room is like as long as the location is good but this place is on the edge. You should try some other places in the neighborhood. It beats the Amstelzicht where I am sure the maid stole my globalphone and ran up some amazing charges.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank redariel
Reviewed 30 October 2010

The hotel is very centrally located. Even with a Priceline "Big Deal" It was 100 Euros. 10 rooms located at the top of an "Amsterdam staircase". En Suite. I haven't been in Amsterdam for about a year, but thought the price was too high for pretty simple digs. Do yourself a favor and stay in one of the neyghborhoods and ride the tram. Maybe they are now pricey also

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank easytoplease61
Reviewed 5 October 2010

we stayed there for 1 night excellent position great view breakfast wat we expected friendly staff one compliant the stairs was deadly

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple