“Great location, good for budget!”

Hotel de Westertoren
Ranked #236 of 372 Hotels in Amsterdam
Reviewed 21 November 2013

Had no trouble finding this place from central station and it is only a 10 minute walk. Only a 2 minute walk from Anne Frank House and Dam Square. In amongst lots of the canals and great for cycling!
There are a lot of stairs especially if you are on top floor, which we were, but we did not mind the exercise and also when in Amsterdam... Steep staircases cannot be avoided!
Breakfast was basic but sufficient and it does come quite early... Between 8 and 8:30 and consists of some sliced wholemeal bread, fruit juice carton, boiled egg, soft cheese or slices. There are tea and coffee making facilities in room as well as a fridge... Staff had no problems supplying us with extra t & c on request.
We had a double ensuite which was fairly small but enough for what we needed it for (safe, secure, clean). There is a TV and safety deposit box. Bathroom very small - utilitarian but sufficient. Clean towels were provided daily.
We were given our own key to the front door so we could come and go as we liked.
Staff were welcoming and attentive which also added to the stay.

Room Tip: Room 8 was nice but top floor so lots of stairs!
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank nayhem

Reviewed 16 October 2013

Perfect central location and was clean enough. The breakfast each morning was basic but it done the trick! The staff were very friendly and even gave us a room with a balcony, which gave a little extra space as the room was quite small. This is a good hotel for a place to sleep but it is no more than that!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 3 June 2013

I stayed there with some friends of mine a couple of years ago. None of us liked the hotel. There is a neverending staircase as soon as you enter the building and the rooms were really small. It seemed to be clean until we found a rat in our room one night. The owner of course agreed to give us another room. A small breakfast was included as well.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank Kostas R
Reviewed 30 May 2013

Unfortunabely, my experience with Westertoren wasn't good at all. I had to cancel my booking as the flight I was supposed to get was cancelled due to strike. I e-mail the Hotel, but I didn't get any
reply. They just got my money from credit card even if I told them that the cancellation wasn't due to my will. Besides, immediately often they cancelled my reservation and got my money, they rebooked the room to someone else, so they didn't actually lose my money because of any canceling. I strongly advice you not to book which them.

Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank FiorieRi
Reviewed 21 May 2013

We travelled to Amsterdam in May 2013 to watch UEFA Europa league final match in Amsterdam Arena. The hotel meet our expectations. It was very central and good for exploring the city both on foot or using public transport. Trams are just a short walk away and the central station can be reached in 10 minutes. We stayed in a room for 5, which was spacious enough. The bathroom needs a reconstruction, but it was not important for us. There was a wifi in rooms and the staff was very kind a helpful. We enjoyed our stay in Westertoren and will definitely come back.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank cesc4nz
Reviewed 8 December 2012

Not only could we not check in on time, we had to leave in the middle of the night because the hotel clerk's sexual harassment.

Our first encounter with the hotel clerk was when he was yelling and berating the cleaning lady. We were unable to check in a few hours later. The hotel clerk (Sam) was completely inappropriate with us. He spoke about his experiences at the Red Light District and his preferences. For an example, he told us for two euros he can watch a naked woman dance and that's what he prefers. He then further discussed other inappropriate things he liked. After his conversations, he wanted to take a picture of us. We were desperately trying to get out of there and agreed to it. We thought it was a picture of us and the first one was of us. Then he wanted to take a picture with one of us and tried to kiss her! After one of us telling him to stop, he said she liked it and kept trying After that picture, he insisted to take a picture with the other girl. He rested his head on her chest and wanted two pictures with her. We agreed to the pictures because we were unsure as to what other things he might do. We were completely mortified and left the hotel in the middle of the night. And by left, we quickly packed our luggage and darted out of the hotel. Apparently, he noticed our disappearance (within 5 minutes of exiting the hotel) because we saw him run out of the hotel and watched us get into a taxi.

We never had this experience before in any other countries. I do not recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
4  Thank J B
Reviewed 17 November 2012

Very friendly, nice gentleman on duty, well-spoken English, who kindly stored my suitcase on early morning arrival. He also made sure I had breakfast delivered the night before an early departure. The stairs aren't that bad if you're reasonably fit and I'm an older lady! Really appreciated the in-room coffee/tea. And the cutest balcony with nice view, table and 2 chairs, where it was permitted to smoke tobacco.
The room I had was on 2nd floor, shared toilet (never saw anyone else), with shower/sink combo in room that worked fine. Small but well designed space, very clean and quiet. Easy walk to Central Station, central Amsterdam is easily walkable, I only went as far as the Albert Cuyp Market, (the tram is expensive!) and the Rijksmuseum. For a longer stay I would look at apartments or larger room, but would have been happy to stay here 3 or 4 nights.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo