“Too hot even in the middle of winter”

Movenpick Hotel Amsterdam City Center
Ranked #48 of 364 Hotels in Amsterdam
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Cheshire
“Too hot even in the middle of winter”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 February 2013

I stayed here last autumn and had a lovely suite but this time I had an ordinary room. The room was fine but the Dutch have a hardline puritanical attitude about air conditioning and think it the work of the devil. The management had decided that the rooms were to be 23 C and that was it. There is a control in the room but it simply says warmer or colder and it has no effect at all. It was December and the outside temperature was 6 C so running the room cooler wouldn’t have destroyed the planet. When I complained they moved me to room next to the elevator shaft for my troubles. No hotel can describe itself as 5 star unless it has proper working and controllable air conditioning.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with working air conditioning
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled on business
ManagerAmsterdam, Manager at Movenpick Hotel Amsterdam City Center, responded to this review, 18 February 2013
Dear Mr barryCheshire,

We would like to thank you for sharing your comments about your stay in our hotel.

We are sorry to read that the air conditioning in your room was disfunctional and could not be adjusted to your satisfaction. We truly apologize for the inconvenience you encountered. Your feedback has been forwarded to the management of the related department for follow up.

We do hope to have an opportunity to welcome you back in our hotel next time you visit Amsterdam.

Hotel Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (922)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 February 2013

Booked through British Airways for an excellent price for which I cannot moan. The rating of 3 is purely based on the hotel experience in general.

I arrived at the hotel 9/2/13 staying with 2 friends. Unfortunately we arrived quite a long time before check in (Around 11am), we where seen to quickly at the front desk by the receptionist who unfortunately made us aware that our room was unavailable until 3pm. This was unfortunate, but expected as the check in time was 3pm. We where then asked to provide a 100 euro deposit for the 2 nights of our stay, I was asked to provide a Credit Card (Don't have one) and Debit Card was not accepted. Luckily enough we had some cash on us so managed to provide the 100 euro deposit. This should certainly be looked into, I have never had to provide a cash deposit at a hotel before and more often than not can provide a Debit Card to cover this. We decided to leave our bags at the hotel and take a stroll back into the center.

We returned at 5pm to obtain our room keys. We where placed on the 5th Floor (516) , over-looking pretty much nothing except a car park and another building, which was fairly disappointing. The Mini - Bar is not stocked with anything, Sofa Bed is provided for the 3rd person which was fine, the individual beds where very comfortable. Bathroom was also clean and nice, heated floor was a bonus. We did however notice that there was no lock on the Bathroom Door, which seemed a bit odd. Luckily the maid did not walk in whilst one of us where taking a dump. I visited the bar on a couple of occasions, if you go down before a certain time (which I have forgotten) it is half price for a pint (or other drinks). I think a pint of Heineken was 3 euros, cheaper than anywhere I have been in the UK! Travel to the center can be a bit of a pain if you don't book the shuttle bus, we spent a lot of money on taxi's (based outside the front of the hotel) which seemed to charge different prices each time. On occasions the shuttle bus was full and there where no spaces available for up to an hour, this was frustrating and meant even more money on Taxis. I'm not Lazy and loved the walk into the center, but it was below freezing and snowing, so we had to get a Taxi.

We ordered a room service Pizza from the night menu on one occasion, they only have the 'extra cheesy' Pizza available. We thought it was horrible. There is a Subway based pretty much next-door to the hotel which I would advise if you need a snack.

I was concerned as to how prices are in Amsterdam and I found them to be pretty much Identical to what you pay in London which was handy. Also, advice to anyone going out there from the UK, use cash-points in Amsterdam Center rather than Changing money before you go or using the cash-points in the train station. I got an extremely good exchange rate from the Cash-points near Dam Square that wouldn't be matched anywhere else. Just be careful of any suspect characters milling about when withdrawing money.

I found Amsterdam to be an excellent City with friendly people, I was warned before visiting of crime etc, but found it a lot safer than home and did not witness any trouble whatsoever.

I am visiting again in 3 weeks time but will not be staying at the Moevenpick again as the overall experience was rather average and the distance from the city center can be an issue. If the shuttle bus was not constantly full then this would not have been such an issue, having to wait an hour for the bus when you are only in Amsterdam for a weekend is not convenient. If I had paid full price for this hotel, I would have been left feeling very out of pocket. Before visiting I was debating whether to choose this hotel or the Marriott, I think I made the wrong choice!

Room Tip: I think you get what your given, if you are given room 516 then ask to be moved.
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
ManagerAmsterdam, Manager at Movenpick Hotel Amsterdam City Center, responded to this review, 25 February 2013
Dear JDSWSIX,

Thank you for taking the time to write such an extensive review with regard to your stay in our hotel and the city of Amsterdam.

Of course, we are happy to read that you enjoyed your room and bathroom and the occasional visit to our Silk Bar (happy hour is every Friday from 6 to 7 p.m., 50% off Dutch drinks assortment).

We are, however, sorry to read that the shuttle bus was fully booked at the time you wished to use this complimentary service and apologize if we failed to mention that we have a tram stop just in front of our hotel that will take you with only one stop to the city centre for a reasonable price.

It is hotel policy to ask for a credit card to guarantee potential extras, or a deposit of 50 EUR per day in cash.

We do hope that you will reconsider visiting us again in the near future. Please do not hesitate to contact me personally before your next visit so I can do my utmost to provide you the service and extra care you expect.

Atlanta
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 February 2013

Hotel is really new and clean. Good, not great location to Centraal Station, one stop away on Tram 26 to/from Amsterdam Centraal. Avoid this hotel if you want to go out and party all night. Staff is really nice. Beware that if you are a smoker the hotel is totally non smoking. Rooms are very spacious and new furniture. The hotel views from the rooms are incredible ask for highest possible floor. Staff is corteous, room is spacious everything was functioning. The room might be a little warmer than normal during the winter; this hotel is naturally climate control; hard to regulate temperature in room as the window opens to a minimum. Would stay again. Bed and comforter are really comfortable. Take into account that this hotel is for the business traveler. WIFI is complementary in the room.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank esaldana
ManagerAmsterdam, Manager at Movenpick Hotel Amsterdam City Center, responded to this review, 15 February 2013
Dear Mr asaldana,

Thank you very much for your nice, positive and helpfull comments with regard to your stay in our hotel. We are pleased that you enjoyed your room (with a view!) and the facilities.

We hope you have spent a nice couple of days in Amsterdam and will be happy to welcome you back next time you travel to Amsterdam.

Chorley, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 February 2013

My wife and I stayed there for a long weekend. The staff everywhere were really good from check in to the staff in the restaurant. It was a pleasure to have top class service, and to stay in a really comfortable room, all in all a really good hotel.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Christopher B
Bucharest, Romania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 February 2013 via mobile

Very good business hotel. The staff si more than ok. The rooms are big and spatios and very well equiped.
The breakfast is ok, you can chose from a lot of varios disches, including custom omlette.
The position of the hotel is a good one. From it to center is about 15 minutes of walking and to the central station about 10 minutes

Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank costin212
N.Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 February 2013

Excellent breakfast with great choice including chef to prepare your omelette.Nice touch with crispy bacon which is a rarity . Bedrooms very comfortable. Shower appliance in a bath which is poor and an obstacle to get in and out off.Location a little remote. Staff overall good and bar food burger was delicious.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Murleog
Dear Mr Murleog,

We are happy to read that you enjoyed your stay in our hotel and had such a good breakfast experience. The location is, indeed, just outside the busy city centre on the banks of the river IJ with all its attractions.

Next time you travel to Amsterdam, please visit us again.

Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 February 2013

This is a nice hotel, in a good location. The staff were very helpful and friendly, and the reception lady took pity on my jet lagged self and found me a room at 10 am, which was great. The rooms were very good, except for the built in couch which was extraordinarily uncomfortable - basically a wooden plank with a bit of carpet as far as I could tell. Truly useless to sit on.

As others have said, it's an easy walk to the station, and they do have a shuttle as well. The only food I ate was conference food, which was adequate as hat sort of thing goes.

No great personality to the place, but a comfortable place to stay for a few nights.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank vicguy45
Dear vicguy45,

Thank you for your positive feedback with regard to your stay in our hotel. We are pleased that we managed to have your room available immediately upon arrival and hope your jetlag disappeared quickly.

At this moment we are in the middle of refurbishing some parts of our hotel to provide even more comfort and cosiness for our valued guests.

We will be happy to welcome you back next time you travel to Amsterdam, for business or pleasure.