“Great view to the city of Amsterdam” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Movenpick Hotel Amsterdam City Center

Movenpick Hotel Amsterdam City Center
Ranked #49 of 361 Hotels in Amsterdam
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
“Great view to the city of Amsterdam”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2014

I stayed in Movenpick hotel for one night before I was going back to HK. I like this hotel, the location of this hotel is quite good, it is situated in the pier of Amsterdam, it is just about 10-15 minutes walk to china town and central station. It has spectacular view that you can have a whole picture of the Amsterdam city. The price is reasonable given I booked it in the last minute and in the summer peak season. I would consider to stay in this hotel next time i come to Amsterdam.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
      Cleanliness
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

General M, General Manager at Movenpick Hotel Amsterdam City Center, responded to this review, 25 August 2014
Dear Kate L,
Thank you very much for sharing your positive feedback with us. We are happy to learn you have had such an enjoyable stay with us, and you are considering to stay with us again.
Should you have your next travel dates reday, please contact us directly.

The General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (916)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
devon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2014

Modern style hotel not too far from Central Station. Nearby tram stop useful for city navigation. Although not so old it has already been updated and renovated. Bedrooms are a good size mostly with various Rhine and city views. Clean airy and spacious throughout. Staff warm and friendly especially the barman late afternoon. I'd come back here

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
      Sleep Quality
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
General M, General Manager at Movenpick Hotel Amsterdam City Center, responded to this review, 21 August 2014
Dear martin14,
We would like to tahnk you for sharing your kind review with us. It is good to learn you valued our modern hotel close to the Central Station enabling beautiful views over the river "IJ".
Your overall compliments have been shared within our teams already.
Should your next travel plans bring you back to Amsterdam we look forward to assist you again.

Cold Spring, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2014

My husband and I recently stayed at the Movenpick for one night prior to our Holland America cruise and one night afterward. We initially booked this hotel because our cruise was scheduled to leave from the Passenger Cruise Terminal, right next door. But Holland America, in its wisdom, changed the terminal to Felison. However, we did enjoy our stay here and found all of the staff to be outstanding. The view from our room was wonderful. Additionally, we had dinner in the bar and found it to be great also.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
      Cleanliness
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear ellie990,
We hope your cruise has been a beautiful one, thank you for taking the time to share your hotel experience with us. Your comment regarding our outstanding staff has been shared within our entire team for motivation already.

Please stay with us again next time you visit Amsterdam.

Pompeii, Italy
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2014

We decided on this hotel as there was a "family offer" for 2 adults and 2 kids sharing a room. THe room price was more than we usually spend, but I liked the location. When I went to book I was told the offer was actually only for 2 adults and 1 child and that the website offer was a mistake. When my email was forwarded to a supervisor, I was offered 2 rooms for the price of one, since the offer was not available as advertised. I was very happy with the hotel making an effort to work with me. At the time I asked that there be 2 connecting rooms reservered for us.
A week before we arrived I notified the hotel that we needed a late check-in and to again please make sure 2 connecting rooms were available. THey emailed me back, assuring me the connecting rooms would be held. When we arrived, though, we were told we had two non-connecting rooms. I politely told the receptionist that I was told 2 connecting rooms were held for me, and she rudely said, "That's impossible. We never guarantee a certain room type. We only take requests." Again I told here I had an email stating differently. Again she told me this was impossible. We were offered two rooms next to each other and told we might be able to change rooms the next day if connecting room became available, but if they did we would need to leave our room by noon and recheck-in at 3:00. At this point we were tired and just wanted to get to our room. When we arrived in the room, something seemed strange. The beds were of the type that pull down from the wall and didn't have a headboard - very uncomfortable for watching TV. I found the email that stated 2 connecting rooms were saved for us and took it down to the reception. I wasn't expecting to change rooms at that time, but wanted the receptionst to see that, yes, this is what was offered and that a compromise would be to leave the current room and check into the new one once the new was ready, instead of the check out at 12:00 and recheck at 3:00. In the end I got a very nice phone call from the gentleman from reservations, apologizing for the problem and everyone at reception went out of their way to make sure the change went smoothly - letting me know when the new room would be ready, calling me, having a bell hop come and pick-up our suitcases and give up the new keys. In the end we were told the original room given us was a room that is used for conferences, but can double as a bedroom (hence the beds pulling down from the wall.) - kind of sad, really. In the end, we really liked the hotel. I just wished check-in had been handled differently. I would have liked a, "I'm sorry for the mistake. Can we offer you a drink in the bar, while we sort this out." Or " We have a room on the upper floor with a view we can offer you until the correcting one is ready." Neither offer would of put the hotel out much, but would have created a "win-win" situation. Instead I was told I was lying, offered a substandard room, and asked to checkout of the hotel for 3 hours until the new room was ready. Everyone else at the hotel really was lovely, but one bad employee can ruin the experience.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
      Rooms
1 Thank amanda m
General M, General Manager at Movenpick Hotel Amsterdam City Center, responded to this review, 20 August 2014
Dear amanda m,
We appreciate your sincere and extensive review concerning your stay in our hotel.
First of all Our sincere apologies for the unfriendly service you received upon check in.
This is defenitely not the kind of service we strive and aim to carry out. Please be assured this has our highest priority. Besides this we are pleased to find out you had an enjoyable stay with us including our location.
We hope to have a chance to welcome you back in our hotel and give you new positive memories.

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2014

This is a fantastic hotel, the staff are lovely.
Booked a suite, check in at 11am and the room was ready, the room was a nice size, free drinks, two tvs and brilliant view. The club lounge was great with free drinks and food. Its a good location just outside city centre, 10 min walk to railway or 1 stop by tram. I would love to come back here one day, thank you for a great stay.

Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
General M, General Manager at Movenpick Hotel Amsterdam City Center, responded to this review, 19 August 2014
Dear travis2004,
Thank you for sharing your positive experniences with us regarding your stay last January.
It is motivating to hear you enjoyed all benefits which come included by booking a Suite with us, and you appreciated all our facilities.
We look forward welcoming you back too, please do not hesitate to contact us.

bedlingtonshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2014

Have just had 5 nights at the Movenpick as a cultural break in amsterdam.
An executive room on 19th floor magic views river and city.
Breakfasts and complimentary mini bar as part of expedia deal a very good choice.
It is slightly out of city centre but better for it no noise or traffic problems,tram stop 200m walk or about 700m to central station on foot.
Food very good and all you can eat breakfast to set you up for days walking.
Everywhere in hotel spotless and very organised staff faultless and very pleasant at all levels.
From our room on 19th floor saw a Peregrine falcon take a little gull and land on the nearby ferry terminal roof (pic attached).
In all a good break and amsterdams intergrated transport system a gem when compared to the uk clean ,on time and nice staff .
We never felt once at risk in city day or night

Room Tip: High floors have best views
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank willygan
Dear willygan,
We are very pleased to read you had such a beautiful stay in our hotel and appreciated our quiet location, magic views and all extras which come included when booking an Executive Room.
Our large variety of breakfast is a good start for exploring the city of Amsterdam.

Please feel free to stay with us again next time you visit Amsterdam.

London
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2014

I booked a weekend at the Moevenpick through TravelBird to celebrate my partner's thirtieth birthday. Due to a mistake with my booking (Travelbird's fault) we were upgraded to an executive room on the 20th floor. Good job we were.

This hotel is like a fancy Premier Inn. Fairly generic with no real character. The staff are nice enough but not overly friendly in any way. Our room was a nice size with a fantastic view overlooking the river. But if you didn't have this view, the hotel would be nothing special. We had free drinks from the mini bar and free Wi-Fi, both of which you don't get in a standard room. The television didn't work, which we reported but no one came to sort it out. Not a big deal as we didn't come to watch tele...but still. Good toiletries etc. in the bathroom although bring your own hairdryer! Theirs weighs a tonne and I burnt myself quite badly as it became very overheated.

The hotel is geared towards Americans who are stopping on their way to a river cruise, for which this hotel is perfectly situated. We were definitely one of the youngest couples there at 29 and 30. The breakfast buffet was good with a wide selection although very busy. We didn't use the restaurant or bar though, why would you when you have come to see the city?!

The main issue with this hotel is that it is a good 15 minutes walk from the train station and town. It doesn't sound like much but when you have spent the whole day walking around Amsterdam, trudging an additional 20 minutes back to the hotel can be a little tiring. They do offer a shuttle service but you have to book in advance. We are pretty fit but found this exhausting so I have no idea how the largely older population of the hotel managed this daily.

Overall, nothing special. It didn't take anything away from a great trip to Amsterdam but it didn't add much either.

Room Tip: Definitely upgrade to an executive room is you can.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Dear Wingy642624,
Thank you for taking the time to share your detailed review with us.
It is good to know you in general enjoyed your stay in our modern hotel but regret at the same time did not meet up to your expectations.
Should you reconsider staying with us again our team is more than happy to assist you.