“Really bad, really really bad”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Jimmy

Hotel Jimmy
Hotel Jimmy
Ranked #358 of 364 Hotels in Amsterdam
Glasgow
“Really bad, really really bad”
Reviewed 25 March 2011

Please read the other reviews and take note, EVERYTHING mentioned in the previous comments are correct.

We booked on the internet, and on arriving were jarred for 'extra' money as the money already paid online wasn't enough. We told him to hang fire and we'd come back down to reception after dropping off bags. Before we had the chance a man appeared at the door, nodding in direction of my friend counting his money and said, 'that's the extra?'

He was told to beat it, and he did. He never asked again.

THE ONLY WAY THIS IS GRANTED HOTEL STATUS IS BY SERVING A HOT BREAKFAST, BE AWARE, BREAKFAST IS ONE BOILED EGG AND ONE BIT OF TOAST, TEA & ORANGE JUICE. DON'T EAT ANY OF IT.

I can't explain to you how bad this place is without taking you to a distant third world country for comparison.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled with friends
7 Thank TheWestHighlandWay

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 February 2011

not even joking the place is a POO hole it had painted white bricks for walls a manky sink a prison style bed and that was it and shared toilet wich u wouldnt let a animal use and got mugged of coz we payed 80 euros MUGS

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank gottzi

Travellers are raving about these Amsterdam hotels

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 January 2011

Room was clean (definitely no rodents). WC/shower (not ensuite) were OK. Room was tiny, but quiet (at the back of the building). Stairs were terrible (I have a bad knee). EUR 45 was OK value for such a central location (Hotels were filling up because of cancellations at Schipol). TV was pretty useless. Staff were rude (one was definitely sinister). Breakfast was mediocre (and not served until 0930). I was not too dfissatisfied, but certainly would not stay there a second night, or longer than necesary to get my head down for a nights sleep.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank Ian226
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 July 2010

stayed 3 nights, rooms were basic but clean..friendly staff, only complaint was no fans or air con and the rooms were really hot, but for a short stay i'd defo go back

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with friends
3 Thank gerry030
QC Philippines
Reviewed 2 May 2010

Technically, I didn't stay in this dump. I was on a layover in AMS and decided to go to the city center. Since my flight to Brussels is in early morning, I decided to just spend the night at the hostel. Hotel Jimmy was along the street so I decided to look. The staff just asked me to register, asked for EUR50 for the night, refused to give a discount for scrapping the breakfast option and asked me to wait for a bit to get a room. I was shocked when he went inside a prison cell-like or closet-like hole and just pulled out the old bedsheet and just replaced it with another one. The space is like a closet with just a prison bed and sink! I could not help myself but complain that there's no space. He just said, "But you're just going to sleep!" I DEMANDED a full refund. Good thing he returned my money because I just can't stand the filth. This is a terrible option for any traveller. Only settle for this if there is absolutely no other choice.Exhausted and exasperated, I just spent the night in one of the recliner chairs in Schipol Airport. Definitely 100% more safe and clean compared to this dump!

• Stayed May 2008, travelled solo
3 Thank GenevieveAquino
Durham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 April 2010

I was returning from Venice back to the UK , via Schipol Airport Amsterdam 15 / 04 2010 , when the nightmare of Ash Thursday hit with full force. As every flight was cancelled , European air space closed down . KLM refusing to provide any support or assistance , I spent the night at the airport which is not good , the next day I went into Amsterdam to find an hotel. No luck , no vacancies anywhere. Except for Hotel Jimmy, It was like something out of the League Of Gentleman. I have never been to prison but no prisoners would be housed in accommdation as that offered at Hotel Jimmy. Every resident was trying to escape Amsterdam or was it Hotel Jimmy ?, I felt pretty fed up , down , frustrated but lying in my cell at night listening to the drunken screams & shouts of fellow Jimmy residents, I thought , what have I done to deserve this . Even the bed isn't really a bed but a wooden box , I am not kidding . The staircase is really something, I have never seen any thing like it, is it designed to punish residents for crimes from another life ? The shower & toilet are in the same corridor as the cells. On a more postive note there was plenty of hot water. The internet is not free as advertised . When I think I was charged 80 euros to stay at this " Hotel " . I did return to the UK via Calais , but that is another story. I still shudder at the thought of Hotel Jimmy , probably the worst place I have ever stayed in my life.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled solo
15 Thank Peter L
scotland
Reviewed 7 February 2009

this hotel (if you can call it that) was by far the worst place to stay anywhere in the world. After handing over 180 euros we were given room 28 which sat three floors up the worst staircase known to man. Once inside we couldnt believe it a 4x8 jail cell complete with bunks dirty prison like bedding a small sink and tv with no remote. The toilet was shared with the other rooms with the shower room a further floor down.
BEWARE DO NOT STAY HERE IF THIS IS THE ONLY PLACE AVAILABLE THEN GO BACK
HOME OR SLEEP OUTSIDE JUST DONT STAY HERE!!!!!!!

• Liked — the door on the way out
  • Disliked — everything else
  • Stayed February 2009, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
9 Thank salohcin0910