“Decent Place to Stay”

Ranked #248 of 368 Hotels in Amsterdam
Coquitlam, Canada
“Decent Place to Stay”
Reviewed 11 January 2010

It was a decent spot to stay. Nothing to rave about, but somewhere I'd be willing to stay again. I'd just have to check if their wireless is working or not. If you have any walking disabilities, please note that there are a lot of stairs with narrow steps in this hotel and no elevator. Should you arrive late in the evening (past 6 pm), please let the receptionist know your approximate arrival time so they can be there to greet you.

MY ROOM:
I paid 45 Euros for a single twin bed in a private room on the 4th floor. I was there on the weekend in August, so I got "peak" price. I had my own sink in my room, but it was a shared toilet and shower. I never had to wait for the shower. The bed was acceptable but wasn't sure if it was at this hotel or in the hostels that I got bitten by bed bugs. The place is peaceful, no noisy train stations or street noise.

THE HOTEL:
The hotel is located on the second, third and fourth level from the ground. There's 3 sets of toilets and showers, one on each floor. You must climb one level of steps from the ground level to reach the reception. The steps are steep and there is no elevator. It was very tiring to always climb to the fourth floor to reach my room. I was pleased to find that there is no smoking in the hotel. There is a common dining room, but no kitchen facilities. It's a fairly quiet location in a central part of the city. It's very close walking distance to a major transit connection point (Dam Square / Paleisstraat‎) and not very far from Central Station either. There are a couple of restaurants next to the hotel on the ground level and two grocery stores within walking distance.

THE SERVICE:
The receptionist was friendly, but unhelpful when I had issues connecting to the wireless. He kept claiming that someone was fine earlier in this afternoon and did not understand my point that several hours ago is a different situation from now. I would have like to see that they rebooted their system to try and resolve my issue. I didn't have any internet for the two nights I was staying. There is an internet cafe within a block charging about 2 Euros for 30 minutes. Otherwise, they were helpful at the beginning to orient me to the nearby amenities of the hotel, such as grocery stores (but there are no kitchen facilities in the hotel).

• Stayed October 2009, travelled solo
1 Thank Moreana

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
  • Turkish first
Vienna, Austria
Reviewed 20 May 2009

After a night at the camping site we decided to move to a hotel. The tourist information at the main train station booked us this hotel. It didn't look like a hotel at the outside, but it was great on the inside. Our room was on the last floor, so we had to go up the stairs everyday (no elevator!). Breakfast was not included, but there's a supermarket, which you can reach within 5 minutes. The city (Damrak) is within 5-7 minutes, westerkerk and the Anne-Frank-Museum is also just around the corner. The tram stops at westerkerk (2-minutes walk). The room was clean, unfortunatly no air condition.
It was a great stay, great location, and really cheap.

• Stayed July 2006, travelled with friends
Sheffield
Reviewed 1 November 2007

We arrived at Schipol and spoke to tourist information. We wanted somewhere CHEAP, expecting to arrive somewhere pretty grim. Pax was great! the guy greeted us with a big smile, showed us where abouts we were on a street map and where we should visit. The room was clean, towels provided. As a place to lay your head each night it was perfect - 49 euros for a twin room was well cheap we thought. The pillows were a bit lumpy but after a few joints who cares!!! ha! great location also.

• Liked — location, uninterrupted
  • Disliked — the stairs!
  • Stayed October 2007, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
11 Thank katiekookaburra
canada
Reviewed 1 February 2007

From the outside, it doesn't look so great, but once you get into your room you realize you lucked out for 30/E a night. You're own shower room /bathroom, a comfortable bed, insanely cool decor and two doors that let out onto a stone balcony, complete with gargoyle. That place was great!!!!

Stayed January 2007