“Watch your stuff if you stay here!”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Ben

Hotel Ben
Ranked #319 of 364 Hotels in Amsterdam
Trondheim, Norway
“Watch your stuff if you stay here!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2014

If you consider this hotel, I would strongly recommend that you write a list of everything that you brought with you/shopped during the trip! I stayed there with a couple of girlfriends, and the last night I noticed that one of my bags was missing. I searched the room, with no luck, and then went to the reception to ask if they had mistaken it for trash when "cleaning" the room. The receptionist was not very accommodating, but called the man who had cleaned it. He claimed that he had never seen the bag, and had just taken out the trash. Funny thing was that the trash in the trash can was still there :) The receptionist was generally really unhelpful, and did not even offer me a "sorry". But, the weird thing was, ten minutes after my talk with him, a boy (his son?) showed up at my door with the bag. I was offered no explanation, and is left with a very bad feeling about this. Im not surprised if they see us 20-something girls coming in with lots of shopping bags every day, and think that we won`t notice if one or two is missing.

I can deal with staying in a low-standard hotel, with the hardest beds ever, but I will never stay here again because of this experience.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank sunshineboogie

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2014 via mobile

Easy to find. Rooms were ready when we arrived. Nice big room. Gave us free wifi passes when we got there. The staff were very helpful & friendly. Would use again & highly recommended. Only downside would be only one electrical socket in the room.

• Stayed May 2014
Belfast, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2014

I stayed in the Hotel Ben with my sister , and while we had a great few days , the hotel could have spoiled it totally., The staff were very nice , the beds while hard as bricks seemed clean , the bathroom was clean and functional , but the carpet looked like a real health hazard , the décor was outdated and the beds were covered with ancient blankets.(Last time I saw such blankets was well over 40 years ago).Also , despite a cat living on the landing next to our room , we had a visit by a mouse on Saturday evening , and while the reception staff "dealt" with it promptly it was offputting to say the least.The hotel location is very convenient for all the attractions , but the street at the back which is where our room overlooked is exceptionally noisy. A little money and effort could transform this hotel - the reception area was OK , but the rest is tired and old and quite frankly dirty , specially the threadbare carpets.If I was to go again to Amsterdam , I could find a much better hotel at a comparable price.

Room Tip: Don't choose a room at this hotel , choose a different hotel
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank eviegorl

Travellers are raving about these Amsterdam hotels

1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 February 2014

The guy who sat behind the reception and who seemed to be the owner (same guy who is in the photos - dark hair) made us pay for 5 nights upfront - seemed dishonest already, assured us that the hotel is quiet and clean.

After a climb to the top floor with heavy suitcases we discovered how nasty, dirty and loud our room was. We spent one night. I walked downstairs in the morning to ask for another room - negative answer. I asked for money back for the remaining 4 nights and I said this is not what we agreed on, we argued, argued some more and the owner ended up keeping half of my money! At this point I should have just called the police. But trying to not ruin my vacation in Amsterdam, I rather walked away and found another hotel.

Please don't do the same mistake like me and NEVER stay at this filthy "hotel" where they end up stealing your money in the end! Don't get tricked like me!

Room Tip: Room that is not in this Hotel is your best choice.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank LadaCisar
Glasgow, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 February 2014

The Hotel Ben is a must for those on a budget looking for city centre accomodation. 5 Mins from Central Station makes this the ideal base to explore the delights of Amsterdaqm ... as long as you are not fussy. Points to note: 1) I had a room at the top - I didn't count all the steps but once I left the room I was out for the day - it was steep! 2) The rooms are very basic and finding a spare electricty socket was quite a hunt 3) Bedding was clean if a little old 4) Bathroom was a tight fit but clean. 5) the reception staff are very friendly and made you feel welcome. Overall, for a lads weekend this is perfect other than the steep climb of the steps. I will return to Hotel Ben later this year, it is worth the money when you are paying the low prices.

Room Tip: Get as low a floor as possible!
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Mike M
England
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 January 2014

As a reasonably experienced Amsterdam traveller (5 trips), I do know that hotel luxury can be hard to come by, especially when the purse strings are tight.

I also know that a 2-night weekend (Fri/Sat) stay in a (very) central en-suite double room, for 65-euro per night, is a VERY good deal.

Nevertheless, I was still a little taken aback by Hotel Ben.

I’ll start with the GOOD points first:

1) Price – as above.

2) Location, location, location! – Superb – Although situated on Buersstraat, Hotel Ben is basically ‘off’ the top end of Damrak, perhaps the busiest street in central Amsterdam. Therefore, not only is Hotel Ben quite literally a 1-min walk to the Red Light district, it’s also less than 5 mins walk to Centraal Station, Dam Square, etc., and 10 mins walk to the slightly more tranquil Singel area. Another 5 mins walk on top of that lands you in the popular Leidseplein.

3) The bathroom was nice (more on the room itself later), a clean and functional en-suite area, featuring a reasonably powerful shower, with good water temperature control.

---

Now for the bad…

1) The beds – we booked a double room as advertised, but got two single beds pushed together. I’ve seen this before, with varying degrees of success, but this just didn’t ‘work’ on this occasion. The beds kept coming apart, and this problem added to the already unusual layout of the room, which left a ridiculous amount of space (around 9 inches) to walk (shuffle sideways) up the side of the bed.

2) The bedding – in a hotel of this type, I do NOT expect a duck-down duvet and satin sheets! However, I expected slightly more than a very tatty, old and itchy blanket, that a 1990s Romanian orphanage would have turned their nose up at. Although it appeared to be clean, it was evidently very old and threadbare.

3) The noise – I’m no party-pooper, and understand that a central, cheap hotel is going to be full of rowdy parties on a weekend. This is no problem to me at all. But ironically, it wasn’t other guests that disturbed our sleep, it was the maintenance man in the room just below us, who appeared to be hammering and sawing well into the wee hours of the morning!

4) The mice – enough said, I now realise why the hotel keeps cats resident!

5) The building works – the hotel is currently (as at January 2014) decked out in scaffolding on the whole of its frontage. Although this didn’t affect us in any major way, it’s still an eyesore, which is saying something in a city as tatty as Amsterdam. That said, the hotel does appear to be suffering from catastrophic subsidence, so perhaps the works were urgent!

6) The lack of plug sockets – we tore the room apart, and found literally nowhere to charge our phones, plug in my hairdryer, etc., apart from a lone bizarrely-placed (too high up to be useful) socket. This led to me perching dangerously on a stool to blowdry my hair, and left us having to dangle our phones freely down the wall, the socket being too high up for the handsets to rest safely on the floor. This, and the general layout of the room – and the whole hotel – smacked of desperation on the part of the proprietors, who had clearly crammed a sleepable room into every available inch of the hotel. Funnily, the room was actually a decent size, but the space was used appallingly.

---

I can’t stress enough how much I already KNEW that Hotel Ben would be on the downmarket side, but there’s no excuse for some of these bad points, even when the price is rock-bottom.

I would HIGHLY recommend Hotel Ben ONLY to those who are staying 1-2 nights and literally want a place to store their belongings, rest their head, and bathe. To this end, it’s perfect for backpackers, passing travellers, groups of friends, and so on – but highly unsuitable for romantic couples in particular! :)

Room Tip: **Not ALL of the rooms are situated atop steep stairs - ours was only a few steps up, in one of the...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank J K
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 December 2013 via mobile

Right in the center.good value.clean bathroom (inside the room).don t ask for more,what you pay,you get.anyway in Amsterdam you only need the room just for a sleep and a shower ,you gonna be out the most of the day.

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple