“Great Location & Excellent Service”
Review of Freeland Hotel

Freeland Hotel
Ranked #193 of 372 Hotels in Amsterdam
Reviewed 15 January 2013

The location is fantastic, just a short walk from the Leidseplein and all its bars & restaurants, and transport connections. Close enough to the fun, but far enough away from the noise.
I was fortunate to have a room on the ground floor so I didn't have to deal with the stairs (except at Breakfast). There can be a lot of noise from people coming in and out, so I used earplugs to sleep and that worked out very well. The room is small, but I didn't come to Amsterdam to spend a lot of time in my room!! It had everything I needed to be comfortable and a surprisingly good shower. The WiFi was really quick too.
Pascale went out of her way to double check the schedule for Bus 197 to the airport on New Year's Day - good thing too, I had it wrong! In fact, every staff member greeted me with a smile on their face.
I was very happy with my selection and will stay here again if I'm ever fortunate enough to return to Amsterdam.

Room Tip: Ask for a room near the back and, if you're not afraid of the stairs, on a higher floor.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled solo

Reviewed 7 January 2013

Perfect location and rooms for the price. As we were three single friends who each wanted their own room and bathroom it had been quite difficult to find somewhere that was suitable. However this hotel was perfect, rooms at the back are nice and quiet and there was room for all three of us to get cosy and watch telly if we wanted! I liked the sort of antechamber to the room, meant you were a bit more removed from any hall/ stairwell noise.
The included breakfast was great, far better than in some southern european hotels with more stars! Eggs, ham cheese toast, juice tea and coffee all served in a very friendly atmosphere.
Reception very helpful.
I thought the hotel was very clean, no complaints there, and the showers were always hot. We'll be back!

Room Tip: single travellers should try rooms 7, 11 or 15 as these are at the back of the hotel.
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 25 November 2012

Nice hotel,discrete and friendly at the same time.One minute walk to leidseplein , tram stop to central station,bus stop to the airport(197),museums-canals accessible on foot. Quiet in November.Clean room and good private toilet-shower in single room. The room can not be described as spacious but its Amsterdam.!! And it is a nice old red building.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 23 October 2012

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
Reviewed 22 October 2012

This hotel is fantastically central, being only about 500m from the Leidseplein tram stop, up a well-lit main street - super safe and convenient. The hosts were very friendly and the room was spotless and very homey - felt more like a B'n'B than a hotel - and was very quiet at night, even thought it was a Friday in Amsterdam! Loads of restaurants and bars nearby, and the ensuite bathroom was very clean, with good water pressure and everything in good working order.
The hotel does have *very* steep staircases, and no lift, so if you have many/heavy bags or mobility issues, this is not the place for you, and my single room was not spacious, but it was excellently priced and I loved my stay here.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Jen J
Reviewed 22 October 2012

we stayed for 2 days 1 night
the reception was at arrival not very friendly, but when we left ( another person) very friendly!

room was not cleaned at arrival time, therefore it is beter to mention that one is alowed tot place luggage at the reception.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
Reviewed 18 October 2012

It's comfortable and quiet, his position is good to reach every place of the city. Service is fine, staff is very nice and helpful, so you feel at home. I think this is the right balance between price and quality.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
Freeland368, Owner at Freeland Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 October 2012

Dear Tripadvisor member. Thank you ALL for the nice, lovely and heartwarming reviews on my hotel. Pascale and I hope that we did everything to make your stay as comfortable and pleasant as possible.
Summer is coming to its end here in Amsterdam but we're having a warm fall (Indian summer almost...feels like spring again!)) and Amsterdam is beautiful with all those autumn colors... even in autumn and winter this city is a marvelous place to walk around in. We heard that Lonely Planet chose Amsterdam next best place on earth to go to and we're proud of that.

We hope to see you again some day in Amsterdam.

Take care,