“Not recommended for single travellers”
Review of Freeland Hotel

Freeland Hotel
Ranked #191 of 374 Hotels in Amsterdam
Reviewed 12 May 2014

The best thing about this hotel is the staff - very friendly and helpful - and the location, close to Leidseplein. Also a nice served breakfast. I booked a single with ensuite, and well in in advance of my stay I requested a quiet room; I received a quick reply saying I would have a room at the back of the hotel. This turned out to be right behind Reception, next to the ground floor public toilet and the stairs going down to the breakfast room, and facing the hotel front door. As a consequence I was driven mad by loud voices and slamming doors all night. When I checked in I was told that "the other single was noisier", with everyone walking past the room and overlooking the street. In addition, the room was tiny - the website does say that the singles are small, but there was nowhere to put my cabin-size suitcase and of course no desk. I don't mind small rooms - but not at this sort of price. Before checking out I noticed that their website was showing a (standard) price quite a bit cheaper than the one I had booked several months previously; when I pointed this out I was asked if I would be paying cash (ie, no credit card) and when I said yes the price dropped to the current rate. Despite the very nice staff, I can't recommend this hotel to single travellers unless you can sleep through anything.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo

Reviewed 2 May 2014

This is a very conveniently located budget hotel. Within a couple of minutes walk of the Leidseplein (tram line intersection with good trams going East / West and into and out of town).

My room was small, but well furnished in a basic but comfortable way.

Breakfast is good (and included in the price).

As the hotel's name suggests the liberal attitude of the city is evident in the hotels policy on LGBT travellers.

A recommended cheap but comfortable stay with good access to the city centre and sights.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Albia-Newton
Reviewed 28 April 2014 via mobile

We reserved four months ago and glad we did. We stayed in Amsterdam three nights after a tenday river cruise. It was kings day a national celebration of the kings birthday. We were greeted warmly by Pascale and she made us capuchino. Our bags were carried up three flights for us. At 76 I couldn't do it myself. The room is quite nice and includes a delicious breakfast. The fee was about $ 575 including tax prepaid. Nice experience.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank CapePorpoise
Reviewed 8 April 2014

I stayed at this hotel for one night on 28th March 2014. Firstly, it’s conveniently located – just 30 minutes by public bus from Schipol Airport (Number 197, 5 euros, every 15 minutes). Just get off at Leidseplein and the hotel is 100 metres from the bust stop. The area is quite vibrant with several bars and restaurants. People everywhere. It’s a 15-20 minute walk to the city centre – Dam Square area. To get to my room in the hotel, I had to go up 2 very steep flights of stairs. No problem as I had left my heavy case at the airport. To open the door and be met with a miniscule room was frankly disappointing and my spirits were not lifted when I saw the small television which was more suited to a museum than a hotel room in a major European city in 2014. As the hotel was full (as were indeed all the hotels in the area, I was told) I had to make do with my lot and make the most of things. With the help of the kind man in reception, I managed to get the TV working, although the remote control was broken. I started to feel better when |I realised that the bed was clean and comfortable and that the shower produced ample hot water.
There are many positive aspects to this hotel, in addition to the location. It’s clean and quiet, there is excellent free wifi as well as free tea and coffee on every landing. Breakfast is included in the very reasonable price I paid for the room (63 euros). The three members of staff I met during my stay were kind, friendly and helpful – the man in reception, the lady owner and the lady who prepared my excellent breakfast earlier than scheduled as a favour as I had a flight to catch. Apart from the shaky beginning to my stay, I would have to say that the overall hotel experience was very positive.

Room Tip: Try to get a double room, even if you are alone.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank dominic-blaise
Reviewed 30 March 2014

We made a reservation for this hotel and they Cancelled it without notifying us! How can you refuse a valid reservation? Luckily we attempted to confirm this prior to traveling out of the country!!!! I am horrified with this service!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 March 2014

Perfect location - direct bus N197 from Schiphol airport (300m from bus stop), some trams to Central Trainstation. Located almost exactly between Museum Square and City Centre (10-20 min to each by walk), lively surroundings with numerous shops and multinational restaurants. Good public transport web to all directions of Amst. Modest but good breakfast: boiled egg, 3 pieces of ham, 3 slices of cheese, toasts, jams, butter,tea/coffee with milk. Attentive, friendly and usefull staff. Teapot in the room, free tea/coffe, sugar. TV/DVD, free Internet in the lobby. Small functional single room on the 3rd floor. Heating with no problem. Family atmosphere.

Minuses: smell from drenage system in the bathroom with poor ventilation (according to hosts because of rainy weather). Noisy at some nights because of beerbar (beer was fine there) just opposite the Hotel, but mainly of trams and emergency sirens below the window. No air condition in my single room, so it can be hot and very noisy in summer. No hooks for outer clothes.

Room Tip: Rooms to the main street very noisy
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Serge K
Reviewed 23 February 2014

The hotel is easy to find, clean and functional. It lacks of space, but this is Amsterdam. The staff is friendly and helpful. Breakfast is plentiful and tasty.
Bathroom is small, but functional, internet connection very good. The bed was not hard, but this is a matter of personal taste.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo