“Average facility, below average location”

WestCord Art Hotel Amsterdam
Ranked #46 of 376 Hotels in Amsterdam
Reviewed 27 July 2010

Room small but adequate, very friendly staff, two pools, two good restaurants and fast, free wireless Internet. The only thing I didn't like is the location. Situated outside of the downtown area, I didn't anticipate this being a problem since it was on the #48 bus route but the route is unreliable and found myself waiting too long for a bus that was supposed to run by every 15 minutes. On my date of departure I waited at least 35 minutes for the bus. Maybe I am nit-picking but I wasn't the only one who found this annoying. If you have your own transportation I'd recommend it, but for the rest of us I say get something closer to Centraal.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled solo
Write a ReviewReviews (2,834)

Reviewed 13 June 2010

This was our second stay at this slightly out-of-town hotel. Just get the number 48 Bus outside Central Station, and within ten minutes you are there, just outside the main noise and bustle of Amsterdam. This hotel is clean and quiet. If you can, opt for a room at the rear of the hotel, with a view of the community swimming pools behind. The rooms are fairly small, but the beds are very comfortable and bathrooms modern. We didn't see anyone in the Restaurant all the time we were there, it was rather expensive. However, the Bar (or Terrace in good weather) offers good burgers and steaks. Do not be tempted into having the the very expensive breakfast. As there are tea and coffee making facilities in the bedrooms why not have picnic on the bed as we did.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 May 2010

I stayed one night during a business in this hotel as our office is located near the immediate vicinity of the property. I stayed in the newer part of the hotel. Price was ok for Amsterdam eventough the hotel is very good at charging overpricing services (garage 22 EUR, ncessery if you want to be sure you have tour car the following morning), internet at 20 EUR and a very basic breakfast at 17 EUR. At the end of the day, you end up paying more than for an upscale property. The staff was very rude and lack basic training in welcoming and informing customer. We were indicated the wrong direction to our rooms and been yelled at to have taken the wrong way ... Same, check out process was very slow, the cleck taking phone calls and dealing with other people while delaying our check out. rooms are ok but organized in a not very practialy way, the transparent door/walls for the bathroom being a very strange feature. But hotel was silent and bed was ok. I would recommend not to take breakfast there, orange juice is very poor, cake was dry and no staff available to serve you coffee. But if you it yourself you are yelled at ...

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank OnTheRoadAgainOslo
Reviewed 25 May 2010

me and my partner decided to take a quick weekend trip to amsterdam. we were looking for a clean/simple/modern and well located hotel, within a budget. after some online searching we found a reasonably good (but not super cheap by any means) deal for this hotel.

it was represented as a modern 'art hotel' located in a 'historic part' of amsterdam, this sounded perfect for a short 3 night stay.

we were dissapointed as soon as we arrived, the hotel was only a stone's throw from the airport and nowhere near the city center or anything 'historical' other than old traintracks. the staff was rude, and insisted on 'blocking off' a certain amount on our credit-card on top of the already fully pre-paid room charge.

the room looked modern and ok. we dropped off our luggage and went right off into town without a throrough room check (really regretted this later!) the bus ride to town took almost 20 minutes (do not even try walking to the center as the hotel is close to some pretty sketchy housing projects). we got back late-ish (after 1 am) after waiting for the night bus for almost 40 minutes (in hindsight should have just taken a taxi, but they are pretty expensive in amsterdam, and not all of them reliable). by the time we arrived the hotel entrance was locked, and the night concierge insisted on questioning us thoroughly via the door speaker (name, room number etc.) before opening the door.

when he finally kindly chose to let us in we went straight to our room. while using the bathroom i realized that the sink was completely busted, and had to use the bathtub tap to wash my hands in, brush my teeth etc.

then came the grand finale, as we unfurled the bed and took off the covers we found a (dry) yellow stain ans short black hairs staring right up at us. i was almost sick. i have never before seen something like this at any hotel (not even road side ones). i called the night porter and half hysterically insisted that he come up right now to see the state of the bedding. this was the same, unpleasant guy that questioned us before opening the hotel entrance, after seeing the (obviously unused but filthy) bed he looked embarassed and humbled and brought some clean sheets right away, changing the bed himself as there was no-one else in the hotel at the time. he apologized, and we retired to bed still seriously disgusted.

the next morning we demanded to talk to a manager to discuss the issue of the sheets, but they wouldn't even apologize. i was shocked with the way the hotel staff behaved and the condition of the bed, it was all the more bizarre as the rest of the hotel was reasonably clean. needless to say i have learned my lesson from this and the first thing i do now before anything else in a hotel room is undo the covers and do a proper inspection of the bed and the cleanliness of any linens present.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 April 2010

1. this place is not really close to airport. (compare to any other hotels). Since it is not in city center, I do not recommend here for the city travellers. However, if you have a car and wants to stay distant from the city center, then it might be good to stay here. They said that there is shuttle service to the airport, but it coast 15 euros one way. This is not a hotel near airport at all!

2. I reserved the spot for 4 nights and ended up staying for 3 nights because of my flight was available a day before my actual departure. This is during the Icelandic Volcanic eruption period which affected lots of aircraft grounded for a week. So I wanted to get refunded for the last night that I will not be staying, but the hotel refused to refund me.

Other services that you can get from the hotel is average (same as any other hotels in the world... I think this place is worth of 3 stars for the service). The amenity was actually really good. free wi-fi and tub in the room, a tub in the bath room which is rare in the european hotel... I think 3 people can stay easily in this room. However, the policy under a special case like the natural disasters was really disappointing..

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 16 April 2010

Quiet and modern hotel with a bus station just outside the door, about 7 stops until Central Station, every 25/30 minutes.
Great breakfast; has a nice swiming pool (I didn't enjoy it).
Staff was very kind, borrowed us free umbrella in a rainy day :)

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 April 2010

Travelled to Amsterdam for a long weekend with my partner and friends for a cultural experience! Booked with lastminute.com the Amsterdam Art Hotel. This hotel is magical! Extremely modern and amazing rooms. Huge beds and stylish fixtures and fittings. Was able to park for free in the hotels underground carpark. The hotel is on the outskirts of amsterdam- we took a 10min bus ride into the city centre each day and i think this is the best option as the hotels in the centre looked awful!!! We didnt eat or drink at the hotel just slept off the excesses of the Amsterdam nightlife and for that this hotel is perfect.

• Stayed: January 2008, travelled with friends