Grand Hotel Amrath Amsterdam
Mauro Mansion(Amsterdam)
  • Restaurant
Hotel The Globe(Amsterdam)
4,168 results
All reviewsfree mini barwellness centreshipping houseelectric curtainssuperior deluxe roomshipping companycentral stationsteam roomrestocked dailytrouser pressnespresso machinespa areaseparate showercity viewthe red light districtunique hotelremote control
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 19 April 2011

Had a large (Europe standard) room overlooking a canal and just a few steps from the Central Station. Nice amenities, great spa, quiet, clean with a very helpful staff. Could not ask for more. Would very likely stay again on business or pleasure.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Hardright
Reviewed 19 April 2011

This 5 star hotel has a spa in the basement which is equipped with machines that are both dated,poorly serviced and potentially dangerous. The steam room stank of cigarette smoke and a raised poor fitting central valley gutter cover resulted in a badly stubbed toe. My partner had a facial which left her with sore and dry skin as the therapist was obviously inadequately trained. Complaints to the hotel management were not taken seriously and regrettably I cannot recommend this hotel which is in a beautiful building with pleasant rooms with nice views over the city.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank CowesElephant
Reviewed 18 April 2011

I've just returned from a 3 night stay here and came away disappointed.

The exterior of the building is beautiful and has some beautiful public areas. The interior architecture is odd, likely due to it's history as an office building, leading to disjointed spaces and poor room layout (e.g. TV unwatchable from either the bed or seating area). The one benefit is very high ceilings and large windows which lead to a light, spacious feeling. The rooms are generally comfortable with nice beds and furniture. I thought the towels felt cheap and threadbare, which is unacceptable for a five star property. Luxury should be the name of the game. The toiletries were Lanvin and were of a nice quality.

The service is poor overall. The entrance is up a long flight of stairs thus you'd expect, especially in a 5 star hotel, a bellman positioned at the bottom of the stairs. Not the case here so I got to lug our bags and kids up the stairs and into the lobby. Of all our trips in and out of the hotel during our four day stay, only once were we offered help up or down the stairs. There just don't seem to be enough bellmen on duty. Not five star service by any stretch of the imagination.

The housekeeping is atrocious. The first day our room was not made up at all. We returned to the hotel at 8pm, tired after a day of sightseeing and the room looked just as we left it. No clean dishes, no coffee for the morning, no clean towels, etc. I went to see the manager and they sent up housekeeping. Not much of a solution for a five star hotel. Other chains I've stayed with that do have true five star hotels would have been mortified.

The second day the room was made up but there were no clean dishes left for us, so again, I had to call down to have fresh cups, etc delivered. Disappointing.

I called down to the concierge on the 2nd morning to try to arrange tickets to Keukenhof via the package advertised on their website, due to the timing flexibility it offered. I was told that couldn't be done and I'd have to go with the company that the hotel used (and wait 2 hrs for the next departure). I just went to the business centre and booked it myself. I can't think of a time when I'd been told by a concierge I had to use a particular service for anything, anywhere. Sure a concierge will often recommend something but they've always got some flexibility if you desire another service. Not at the Amrath!

Loctionwise, the hotel is very handy to Central Station. If you are looking to visit things to the west side of the centre (Anne Frank house for example) it's a bit of a walk and if you are offended by the Red Light District you'll have to be alert to circumnavigate that.

For my situation, I'd look to stay a little more central next time to cut down walking a bit. We wandered into The Grand Sofitel while out exploring and it looks to be much more to my taste. A fountain in their entrance courtyard caught the eye of my toddler so we went over to look and a bellman came to greet us and he told us that they had a nice garden and maybe we'd like to have lunch there tomorrow so our child could play after we ate. That is how five star hotels are run, with attentive people who go out of their way to attend to your obvious needs, even if you are not resident at their property (next time we will be, thanks Sofitel).

I will not return to this hotel nor would I recommend it to others. There are better options for you money in Amsterdam.

Room Tip: Try to get a canal view room, avoid the streetside
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank cdnmojo
Reviewed 16 April 2011

An excellent conversion of a landmark building. Rooms large (high ceilings too) & airy; well equipped (eg Nespresso machine, mini bar, robes & sllippers). PLenty of space to sit & relax in between sightseeing.
Staff excellent - all very helpful.
Location is close to station, so not the most beautiful area, but accessible from/to airport & very convenient for trams to all parts of city (though everywhere is wlking distance really). Our superior city view room was very quiet & had a view over the canal, old houses & spires. The free mini bar was an added bonus!
Restaurant & bar - both good food, quality & service.
Wellness centre was excellent - gym & spa facilities well maintained & quiet. Would recommend this hotel, but it isn't right in the heart of things (that's probably a good thing!).

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 April 2011

This hotel has been around for quite a while, it looks 1900 with a lot of marble and wood interior. It looks and feels like an old kind of castle but it is nice though!

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled on business