“Exceeded Expectations”

Grand Hotel Amrath Amsterdam
Ranked #77 of 374 Hotels in Amsterdam
Reviewed 18 February 2013

My girlfriend and I went to Amsterdam for the Valentine's Day weekend. We stayed three nights in a deluxe room. I emailed reception a month in advanced asking for a room on higher floor after reading about how crappy the lower floored rooms were... especially the basement level.

Reception is a small office to the left of the entrance and the line moved by pretty quickly. Checked in and we got room 308. It was a deluxe with a canal view without getting charged anything extra. The room was spacious and I especially liked the high ceilings. A few people complained about the room being too dark. I thought it was perfect lighting for the evenings. I guess if you're trying to do some work or reading it can be a little annoying but we were there to relax so I thought it was cool.

The bed and pillows were extremely comfortable. The bathroom was great. It has a tub and a seperate shower area. I thought that was pretty cool. The door is indeed frosted glass. We didn't mind since we're a couple. I guess it could be a bit weird if it's just you and your buddy. Minibar is awesome. You get a little bottle of some scotch whiskey, courvoisier cognac, bacardi rum, gin and vodka, two pilsner beers, one red wine, one white wine, two still waters, two bubble waters, two diet cokes, two cokes, two sprites, two tonic waters, two orange juices, a bag of peanuts, and a candy bar. We made sure to drink everything... even if it was just opening it up and taking a sip. You leave for the day and come back... everything is restocked... like magic elves came in and cleaned everything up and left you gifts.

On floor -1 you find the pool, sauna, steam room and a jacuzzi hot tub. There's a gym there too but it's pretty pathetic. No one used it. I mean who's trying to work out on a vacation anyways right? The pool water is warm. More for lounging than trying to get in laps. But they do have a jet stream area of the pool where you swim against the current. Sort of like a swimming treadmill. The jacuzzi water temperature wasn't very hot. I'd say slightly warmer than the pool. Sauna was great. They have two rooms. One labeled 70 degrees and the other 90 degrees. We went into the one that was 70 and the thermometer read 100. It was hot as hell in there. The 90 degree one was at 80 degrees so that was the one we went into.

The area was perfectly located. Right across from the train station. Close to all the attractions. You absolutely must eat at Dwaze Zaken. It's a cafe bistro on the same street. Look it up. I recommend the steak, ox tail soup, duck sausage salad and the sandwiches for lunch. We went there twice. Everything is fresh and organic.

Overall, no complaints about this hotel. It's not exactly Las Vegas 5 star quality but definitely 5 stars for the Netherlands.

2  Thank Jay P

Reviewed 17 February 2013

I had a great experience in this hotel as the building is an amazing geme. It's like you're back 100 years ago in an Art Nouveau building. I was in room 419 which was big and also with a very special decoration you like it or not and personally I loved it. The reception staff id also very nice, helpful and educated. They came with me to the room to show me all the features. You will enjoy a full minibar refilled every day, a Nespresso Appliance with complementary capsules, an amazing bed, bathrobe, slippers. Only the glass door of the bathroom can disturb people looking for intimacy. I tried also the spa and pool area which was great especially after work. Also a good point for breakfast which was complete with good quality products. Last but not least you're next to the central station, most tramway lines and the city center. Would defitively go back.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank fox67Barcelona
Reviewed 16 February 2013

Unprecenented levels of customer service, incredibleattention to detail, evry memebr of staff are buy ibto their ethos, nothing is too much trouble. These really are the standards that 5 star should be byt very few are

Room Tip: Canal side would be best if possible
Reviewed 16 February 2013

We stayed 2 nights in this wonderful hotel in the beginning of this month and can honestly say that the experience was great from beginning to end! From the moment we stopped the car in front of the hotel, until the moment we got back into the car to leave again, the service was flawless! All staff members are very friendly and always a step ahead to meet your expectations! And if you want to book a massage, ask for Claudia - she is great! The historic building (this year celebrating its 100th anniversary, so we were told, during an impressive tour) offers spacious and comfortable accommodation and the location is just perfect, so close to the centre and Central Station! You have plenty of choice for restaurants in the neighbourhood, however, do try the "Seven Seas" restaurant in the hotel, you won't be disappointed! Overall, a hotel to recommend!!

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Suzanne894
Reviewed 14 February 2013

this is not the usual luxury hotel, but London hotels should all come and have a look on how to make an heritage building into a fantastic, reasonably priced experience. Staff very helpful, nice big rooms, great location, small but good spa area, mini bar well stocked and free (!), good wifi (free!). I travel a lot and many 'good' hotels get small things wrong, this one didn't. I will be back.

Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank johannesmarcus
Reviewed 13 February 2013

I stayed in the Amrath from Friday 8th Feb to Sunday 10th Feb 2013. We chose Amsterdam to celebrate my wife's 40th Birthday.
The hotel is well situated 5 mins walk from Central Station which connects to Schipol Airport. It is also within 300 yards of trains,taxis,bike hire,trams,buses and canal boat so even the laziest person can find a mode of transport. It is also only a 5 minute walk to Dam Square which is a good point to access the whole of Amsterdam.
On arrival at the hotel we checked in with ease and the receptionist and bell boy both wished my wife a happy birthday. The bell boy carried my case to the room and gave us a few pointers regarding the hotel and the surrounding area. He was genuinely trying to help and I rewarded him with €5 which he accepted gratefully. My wife also accepted gratefully the birthday cake in the room!
The room was a superior deluxe and was on the 4th floor. It had a partial view of the city but I don't rate this as important - I don't go on holiday to stand looking out the window. The room was first class and the extra touches such as - free wifi, free minibar, safe, trouser press, umbrella are great. I was really surprised and happy to find a three prong plug socket in the room which was a bonus as we had forgotten a travel adaptor for phones, Ipad etc.The radio controlled curtains are a touch of class.
The bathroom had a great, strong shower and a huge, deep bath. The only negative of the room is the see through bathroom door, the second I have experienced in Amsterdam.
The bar area is first class and not expensive and the staff throughout the hotel are exceptionally well mannered and helpful. The SPA and pool area is immaculate and I particularly enjoyed the "current" feature in the swimming pool which is a tough workout. The steam room and saunas are great as is the hot tub. A small issue here is the three step ladder up to the tub. It was no problem for us but may be an issue or dangerous for younger and older more infirm guests.
Outside the hotel as I said you can access all manner of activities from the red light district to the Rijksmuseum all easily reached by various modes of transport. We especially liked visiting the Sky Lounge on the 11th floor of the Hilton across the road from the Amrath for a drink after sightseeing or shopping.
I was more than happy with the hotel. I can' t comment on the restaurant' s offerings as we ate every meal out and about, but everything else was first class.
Yes it is an old shipping office and is not the best laid out hotel and it looks like a corridor scene from the Shining but in our opinion that all adds to the attraction of the place and we would certainly be back.

5  Thank Murray G
Reviewed 12 February 2013

The first thing that is noteworthy of the Amrath is when you walk into the reception area and take in the amazing architecture. The building was originally separate office spaces for sea merchants so there is a mish-mash of gothic, Goudi-esque and 1920/30s interior design fused beautifully to meet you on every floor. Then you meet the staff; the receptionists, the consierge, the bell-boy, the management, all amazingly customer focussed, polite and interested in you and your trip to Amsterdam, wishing to help and advise at every question. Our room was breathtakingly lovely; high ceilings, beautiful four-poster bed, a deep, double-ended villeroy and boch bath, wet room with drencher shower - you can't help but relax on impact AND free minibar! We had breakfast in the bar on two of the four mornings we were there but did not utlise the restaurant because we were out and about, however, if breakfast was anything to go by then the evening meals must be amazing - the restaurant certainly looks fabulous. We used the wellness centre every day which has a jacuzzi, a small pool, 3 saunas and a steam room; we also took advantage of the 'check in' massage which was just what the doctor ordered after the journey. Beyond the fabulousness of the hotel the location is perfect too, just a stones throw from the red light district, walking distance to Dam Square, fabulous bars and eateries on the doorstep and central station just over the road. We enjoyed a romantic candle-lit evening cruise on one of the boats, booked through the consierge, and found this to be the best way to see Amsterdam. We can't wait to return.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the river-side for amazing views
9  Thank cazyfaith