“Great hotel”

Ranked #68 of 364 Hotels in Amsterdam
Nes Ziyona israel
“Great hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2013

Just got back, four nights, great location, staff is very nice and helpful, rooms are very clean, mini bar is complementary which was quite a surprise, close to central station, problem for disable people lots of stairs, hotel is very nice

Room Tip: View to the city, top floor
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (760)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Lisbon, Portugal
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2013

I have been to many hotels in my life and I must say this hotel left me breathless. The stay was my 30th birthday gift from my partner and I had no idea where we were staying. As we approached the hotel, on a snowy cold Sunday morning, I felt as though it looked like and enchanted gothic castle. It looked so impressive, I could not contain my happiness and the architecture blew me away as we walked inside. It is beautifully built and what I loved the most is the rooms felt very modern but had the original walls and GRANDNESS of the building. We were first given a room which although took our breath away, we asked to be exchanged for another room as we could literally hear every word of what the (sounded like at least 5) men were discussing next door. That was because there was a door connecting the two rooms which the second room didn't have and they gave us a new room straight away. The bathroom was unlike anything I had ever seen. It was a large glass room built within the original walls and there was space to walk all around the bathroom, between the glass wall and the real wall. What an idea and perfect for a romantic trip away!
The bed was so incredibly comfortable, we slept 12 hrs and overslept our checkout time which was extended no problem at all!
The swimming pool area was clean and very quiet which was lovely.
There is free wifi which worked perfectly and the the mini bar is complimentary which is definitely a nice touch!
Thank you for an incredible stay and we will definitely be back on our next visit to Amsterdam!

Room Tip: Room 100 was great and make sure you do not stay in a room with an interconnecting door, unless you...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
Blackrod
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2013 via mobile

The hotel is stunning with sumptuous rooms. Checkin process was drought with difficulties as the reservations staff were not very helpful. We were booking for a family of 5 including 3 children. Interceding rooms were not provided despite numerous email and telephone calls before arrival. After a heated discussion with the manager we were given the Monumental Suite which was absolutely stunning. However it does suffer from traffic noise. We felt it was worth it, though. Free WiFi included but it was slow and erratic. Free Minibar nice touch. Best hotel shower. Immediately hot and high power. Swimming pool excellent and quiet. The hotel is in a fantastic location. Across the road from Central Station and short walk to central Amsterdam. Lots of nice restaurants in the small back streets nearby.

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank lenfunk2
Yorkshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2013

Just got back & loved this hotel. Couldn't fault it. We paid for a deluxe room with city view & emailed the hotel & requested a canal view which we got ( although they did say when I booked could not be guaranteed) It was our anniversary & when we got there rose pettles were on the bed & large bottle of wine with a hand written card from the manager, nice little touch. spotlessly clean, our room 205 was quiet. Free mini bar, great view, bath big enough for 2. We walked to everywhere so good location even though not directly in center. Spa was great, very clean, quite & relaxing, robes & towels provided. Overall defiantly recommend. Will stay here next time in Amsterdam. Just 1 little tip take some coat hangers as not many in room we had 4 for 2 of us but a minor detail. Thankyou amrath for a great 5 days!!!

• Stayed May 2013
2 Thank SIMBA5
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2013

6 friends, 5 rooms, 3 nights for a landmark birthday celebration.

Firstly, the building. which is utterly eccentric in what I can only describe as a "Nouveau-Gothic-Brutalist" style, obviously built to impress and give the message "your freight is safe with us". We all agreed it had a slightly sinister air about it - which we loved! The only thing missing was a pole to the Batcave in the basement. Look out for the original wood paneled lift complete with seat. The building also has a "Paternoster" lift, but thankfully only as display these days. A "Duvel" too many and it might lead to a decapitation otherwise. The main staircase is completely over-the-top, and whilst I could find my 2nd floor room from it, it took me the 3 days to suss how to find it coming the other way. The place is a complete labyrinth and perfectly possible to get lost in. A little more signage would not go amiss, though they have obviously taken great pains to leave as much period detail as possible. My first job in London in 1978 was for KNSM, so it was nostalgic for me.

We had superior rooms, and I would recommend them if you can stretch the budget. Very spacious, massive high ceilings and fairly well equipped, though why provide a trouser press instead of an iron/board? Has anyone ever actually ever needed to press trousers and not a shirt? Shower over deep bath needed to nimble limbs to negotiate, and the fold out shower screen had a very Dutch personality - a mind of it's own and was a useful as a chocolate tea pot. Consequently, after flooding the floor, I stuck to baths. They need to address this. Free mini bar is nice, though lacks a cognac and a fruit juice. Housekeeping was below par - rings around bath and sink where I'd stood glasses were still there after the room had been made up. Traffic noise was considerable, but as I'm a light sleeper, I always take ear plugs which dealt with the problem. The rooms have original wooden framed, double glazed windows, but not up to insulating the modern Amsterdam rush hour. They arranged the hire of a wheelchair for our friend with severe mobility problems, and were helpful throughout in a city which in general, is a nightmare in this regard.

Location is a little out of it if you want Kerkstraat/Leidseplein but handy for Centraal Station, Warmoestraat, Rokin. You can do far, far better outside for breakfast than the pricey €27.50 buffet, which did not impress at all. That said, the lovely bar, looking out over the adjacent canal was reasonably priced with wine by the glass at €4.50. Staff were pleasant without exception.

For me, it's the building that makes this hotel. If it were a bland modern build, the provision would be fairly humdrum and unremarkable. I would say the 5 star rating is stretching it a bit, but it's priced lower than others in the city and is overall good value. I've been to A'dam many times over the years, and this is without a doubt, the best hotel I've stayed in - and will return to. If you don't appreciate the incredibly quirky building, then some of the appeal may be lost.

Room Tip: Superior rooms worth the extra - ask for one away from the worst of the traffic noise if you are bot...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank trevgti
Egersund, Norge
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2013

This is an old hotel with minimal insulation, hence we felt we were sleeping nod the pavement. Heavy traffic an lots of partying people on the bus-stop outside our window. Otherwise the hotel and service was really good. Excellent but expensive breakfast.

Room Tip: Ask to be placed as far from the street as possible
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Millersport, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2013

we stayed 4 nights & got a good rate thru priceline. entire staff was so friendly. ate at the bar/lounge for dinner 2 nights. was ok but pricy for what you got. concierge recomended italia oggi a wonderful italian restaurant close by & it was so good we ate there 2 ngts in a row. hop on & off bus stops in front of hotel & u can purchase tickets from concierge. we got a room on 2nd floor with no view but so very quiet. we spent one am using the hot tub, sauna & pool. hotel location is perfect. i have nothing negative to say as we loved every minute of our stay here.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple