“Beautiful property” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #67 of 362 Hotels in Amsterdam
Plymouth, Mass
“Beautiful property”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 November 2013

Beautiful redone old shipping building near train station.Easy walking distance to restaurants and boat trips along canal.The hallways are somewhat dark.,and almost maze like .Our room had a canal view, it was very big! The bath accessories were great, along with the fluffy robes they provide.I must say the bed was incredibly comfy with a nice downlike comforter.The breakfast was very nice ,and included many items you don't see often.It was about 25 Euros.The mini bar is complimentary.It is restocked each day,although popcorn was the only food item.Would recommend highly!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (741)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Amsterdam
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 November 2013

Lovely Art Deco building and sympathetic interior refurb. Great location.Staff very helpful,and our anniversary stay was made special for us. The bed was WONDERFUL,one of the best we've ever slept in.Complimentary minibar (a rare commodity these days!).Room with a city view was first class.with the original high-ceiling still there!. Only one negative,my husband slipped while trying to get into the hot-tub in the Spa.Injured his foot and knee because steps into tub are deceptive and cannot be clearly seen if tub is running. Luckily no permanent injury,but this happened on our second (anniversary)day so the old g.t had to hobble round for the remaining 3 days. So be warned if using the hot-tub!! Otherwise we would use this hotel again,we preferred it to the American.

Room Tip: Get a city view if possible
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 November 2013 via mobile

I stayed her while on a business trip, the checkin was an experience where they sit you down in an office an tell you all about the hotel. I was given an upgrade to a Junior suite which was fantastic and had a great view, I made good use of the free minibar! Yes a free minibar! And a well stocked one too. The hotel is in a great location five minutes walk fro the train station and five minutes from Dam square. Bed was very comfortable great mattress. The hotel has a really nice pool and gym area. The only negative was the €25 breakfast which was not included and I only had once in my three night stay, it was not worth €5, self service everything was cold even the coffee. I also didn't like being surprised with a €30 departure city tax which wasn't on the booking price although I feel a bit bad complaining about it as they did upgrade me. I would definitely stay again and highly recommend it.

Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Joetraynor1
Dallas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 November 2013

Good location, friendly staff, clean room, comfortable bed. The building is old, and I could see they are working to make it better (but there is only so much you can do with the old building). The internet was very spotty, but I did get a letter from management indicating that they were upgrading the wireless, so your experience may be better in the future. I would stay here again and would recommend if a good room rate can be found.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank 3riq
Amsterdam
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 November 2013 via mobile

Lovely Hotel , stayed here for my partners birthday and I emailed them before we went asking if I could request a room with a view as I wanted it to be special and I was told that it wasn't possible but they will make sure our stay is lovely ... So I just thought well I asked ...
Anyway when we arrived we found out we had been upgraded and our room had the most amazing views over the city , and to top it off a little bottle of champers ,off the duty managers with a hand written welcome card wishing my partner a happy birthday .... A lovely little touch .
Mini bar fully replenished everyday and the bols vodka .... Mmmmmm Love it
Bed was huge , bath was like a pool and the power shower was powerful :-)
Oh and the location is literally 5 min walk from central station x
Yeah great stay and will be back without a shadow of a doubt :-)

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Helsinki, Finland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 November 2013

I wonder who gave this hotel five stars..... The room was run down (we had booked a junior suite), had seen better days. The room did not match the expectations provided at the time of booking. The jym was nothing to write home about. Unfortunately an overall disappointment. The price and quality were not in balance. The best part was the friendly staff.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Aarn0
Asheville, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 November 2013

We stayed at the Amrath for one week in early November.
We arrived way before check in but they were able to have our room ready by Noon. The room was surprisingly large for a city hotel. As others have noted the room has high ceilings, huge windows, a bed that was so deliciously comfortable (very soft), the fantastic (and free!) mini-bar and espresso maker. Bathroom was clean and the shower strong and hot. Our view was not much to speak of as we faced inward, though it was so very quiet and lots of light came in when the curtains were open.
We didn't use the spa or the restaurant so I can't comment on either.
The service at registration and concierge was very professional.
The architecture of the hotel is superb and fascinating. It's listed in many tourist guides and I saw a number of people coming in to check it out. Be sure to wander the hotel and enjoy the designs. The style may be a touch dark or gothic for some, but I loved it and it added to the overall enjoyment of my trip to Amsterdam.
No major negatives to report. The carpet was being replaced in some areas and it needed to be. The lobby is cramped and busy, but if it's full and you need a place to sit there are many places but you just have to go down a hall or up the stairs to a different area. Remember this building was not originally built to be a hotel! Wifi was good except for a couple of times, apparently that is being upgraded as well.
There is plenty to see within walking distance and loads of restaurants nearby. We arrived at, departed from, and traveled during the trip through Centraal Station which was so very conveniently close.
Lastly, I am giving 5 stars relative to the reasonable price we paid. Yes, there are probably hotels in Amsterdam that are even more luxurious but I think you'll pay much more too.

Great place, fun city, enjoy!

1 Thank Simon900