“**WARNING DO NOT BOOK THEY WILL TAKE YOUR MONEY TWICE**”

Grand Hotel Amrath Amsterdam
Ranked #75 of 376 Hotels in Amsterdam
Reviewed 9 April 2014

I booked this hotel for 1 nights stay, this was the biggest mistake I have ever made as when I checked in I was told i had to pay up front an amount of 90 euro in case we drank or ate in the hotel, I was not made aware of this when booking direct with the hotel, and explained we was only here for the night so i didn’t see it necessary as we had already paid for breakfast when booking the room, that was the first problem, the second was when we checked in we asked to pay the room bill but was told we could only do this on check out but they needed to reserve a card payment for the room about, so this was fine. When we come to check out of the hotel i paid on a different card, i was told no amount was taken from my other card so I didn’t see a problem, until i came to use my other bank card only to be told by the bank that the hotel had not released the payment, I have since contacted the hotel 10 times not to release this payment and they assure me they will do it but they don’t our stay was a month ago now and they are still holding £200 on my bank card I am disgusted in such POOR service from a so called 5 star hotel this is not the performance i would expect from any hotel let alone this one, I would never book this hotel again it’s been a real eye opener.

Also the on the last day of out stay here we decided to use the Spa, only to find no reception staff work on a morning so you have to direct yourself, there was lockers that we was uable to use as you needed a code, for a hotel of such so called standards you would expect any 5* hotel Spa to have staff on at all times, but during our 2 hours Spa stay we didn’t see one staff member there was also other guests coming into the pool area bringing personal belongings and looking around for staff.

Room Tip: best advise I could give you is book another hotel.
5  Thank Gemma Liam H
Write a ReviewReviews (4,107)

Reviewed 9 April 2014

I am a business traveler and I spend a lot of time in hotels. I booked 2 nights at the Amrath as a surprise weekend away for my wife to celebrate our 10th wedding anniversary. What a good choice. 5 min walk from the station and we were there. The hotel is a very impressive building (I think it was a former shipping line headquarters) with lots of rich art deco features. Our room was very large and airy with big windows which looked out over the canal with lovely views out over Amsterdam. Big comfy bed, lovely and clean with a coffee machine and FREE minibar (which we failed to be able to drink dry - lightweights). There were robes and slippers supplied. We had one meal in the restaurant which was very nice and the service was excellent. We used the spa which was great - note -I think its expected to change in your room and then use the robe and slippers to go to the spa. All in all a great experience and we will be back. well done all the Amrath Team.

Room Tip: ask for a room over the canal
1  Thank WestWalesHorse
Reviewed 8 April 2014

We had the pleasure of staying here in March to celebrate our wedding anniversary. From the moment we entered our room we were extremely impressed by the attention to detail - on the table was a bottle of champagne on ice along with a hand written note from the duty manager, welcoming us to the hotel & wishing us a happy anniversary. The bed had been decorated with rose petals, as had the bathroom - this was such a lovely touch & made us feel very special. That evening we dined in the hotel restaurant, choosing the sample menu with accompanying wines for each course, the food was excellent and the ingredients were explained by the staff as they served each course. Choosing this option gives you the opportunity to sample foods & wines that you wouldn't normally - definitely a good choice.
The room was large, very well decorated & extremely clean - the Nespresso coffee maker was welcome and the free minibar is an added bonus - great to have a glass of wine or beer before you head out for the evening.
This hotel is very well located, about 5 minute walk from central station and 10 mins from Dam Square. Nothing was too much trouble for the staff & the concierge was very helpful with advice on places to visit & with booking restaurants. Sadly we didn't get the opportunity to try the spa facilities - but there's always next time! We would definitely recommend this hotel

1  Thank mog64
Reviewed 8 April 2014

We booked a 3 night stay with 4 friends fo a Birthday Celebration and booked based on the previous comments of the free bar! All 3 couples were upgraded and we were given a top suite with a bottle of champagne and a birthday cake. The room was HUGE with a queen size bed, bath and separate shower. The mini bar was replenished everyday and we soooo made the most of that. All rooms had bathrobes and slippers, which we used for the spa facilities.
This truly was a wonderful experience

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Nicola C
Reviewed 6 April 2014

Lovely building, comfiest bed I have ever stayed in, complimentary spa & swimming pool, complimentary minibar (with a good selection) Krups coffee machine and lovely decorated rooms. Great location, 5 min walk from Central Station :)

Room Tip: worth every penny!!
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Sarah W
Reviewed 6 April 2014

the only good point was the location which was near dam square, there was no space in lobby area to sit, some of the rooms was so small . it is not 5 star hotels. it looks like 3 star hotels. the service of the hotel was poor.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank sia B
Reviewed 5 April 2014

We had the pleasure of eating dinner in the hotel's restaurant last night, sitting close to the large glass partition wall between the restaurant and kitchen so we could watch the action.

The menu looked simple, but the food that came to us was simply superb. The flavours and combinations were so exciting.

Normally, I won't have a dessert, but the chocolate fondant was so well described that I gave in.

It arrived, and I lifted my spoon ready to slice into it to see if it was full of runny chocolate. Just as I lowered the spoon, I looked into the kitchen. The chefs were all looking at me, expectantly.

Cutting into the fondant, hot molten chocolate poured out. Perfect. The chefs looked so pleased I had to give them a round of applause.

A truly great experience.

Room Tip: A really interesting one hundred year old Art Deco building. You need a route map to find your room...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family