“Overrated, overpriced, and disappointing”

Grand Hotel Amrath Amsterdam
Ranked #78 of 374 Hotels in Amsterdam
Reviewed 20 April 2014

I travel a lot (28 countries, 45 of the 50 US states), and I've never been more disappointed in a hotel in light of Trip Advisor's average scores and reviews. It's an adequate 3 star hotel, but nothing better than that.

Amsterdam is a beautiful city of many charming neighborhoods. The areas to the north and west of the Amrath are noisy and very crowded, and not in the least charming.

The decor is very old fashioned and appears to be old. The hotel has no lobby. The restaurant is overpriced.

Most of the five days we were at the Amrath, there was no concierage. Bellhops manned the concierge desk when they weren't helping people with their baggage. They were friendly, as was the entire staff, but they readily admitted that they were not trained to answer many of the relatively simple questions we had.

The gym was horrible. They had 3 pieces of aerobic equipment, of which two (the treadmill and the exercise bike) were broken. The third, an elliptical was of very poor quality. The strength training equipment is sparse and also of very poor quality.

The room was so hot that needed to keep the windows open. Because the hotel is on a very noisy street, we had a hard time sleeping.

6  Thank Scott M

Reviewed 19 April 2014

My husband and I absolutely loved this hotel! Aside from the great location (close to Grand Centraal station and easy to get to from many tourist destinations), I had the best sleep I've ever had in a hotel. I'd read reviews about this hotel and many people mentioned the beds and they were not wrong - so comfortable! Additionally, it was a nice touch that everything in the minibar was free. We'd definitely return to this hotel if we were to visit Amsterdam again.

2  Thank Smurfysmurf79
Reviewed 19 April 2014

We had a wonderful stay at this Amrath grand hotel.
The location is great.Walking distance from central bus and train station and Dam Square.
Free Spa and mini bar were used by us everyday and were a nice extra.
Staff super friendly and helpful.Our room was big and comfortable and we had a nice view of the canal. The hotel itself is a beauty.
We will surely return next time we come to Amsterdam.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Ayellet Y
Reviewed 16 April 2014

Very nice hotel with a lovely ambiance. The staff was great, and although we did not indulge too much, it was nice to have the free minibar. Good food portions with room service breakfast. Very close to the train station and many other places. The only negative I can think of is that the "queen" size bed is actually two doubles pushed together. They would spread apart from time to time and made sleeping close difficult. I think this is probably because it is difficult to get large furniture into the building with small staircases - a common thing in Holland. Otherwise, highly recommend.

Room Tip: Be sure to understand that your bed will be made of two beds together without a joiner.
2  Thank Mark M
Reviewed 15 April 2014

There are many aspects of this hotel that are terrific, primarily the building and the history and excellent restoration completed. It truly is an art deco palace and absolutely in keeping internally as well as externally. I think having a reception 'office' is ok even though it's clearly not big enough and a queue forms outside the door. We found all of the staff very friendly and helpful but I would query why concierge isn't stood outside the building to assist with luggage as per so many 5 star establishments (particularly when there are entrance steps) and it is these little details that make me query whether it really is worthy of 5 stars. In addition to the lack of porterage outside, the bath robes have clearly seen far better days. They are old, over laundered and grubby. I note you can buy them for E50 but you'd have to be crazy to do so as the quality is really poor and I would suggest they should be replaced. I was also disappointed with our room on the 4th floor as the sloping ceilings were for me claustrophobic, but I suspect this is a matter of personal preference. I was looking forward to 'floor to ceiling' windows as advertised on the website and given we had booked a deluxe room I didn't expect to be in the roof in a narrow room with half of it on a plinth. In fairness, we could have swapped but it is so inconvenient once you've unpacked to have to do so. I found housekeeping somewhat lacking, our room was clearly not as clean as it could have been. Corners, edges and wood needs a good scrub and the coffee/tea area wasn't cleaned at all. Dirty napkins were left from the day before. The bathroom walls needed further tiling above the bath as they were cracked and worn. We mentioned this to reception but housekeeping was pretty much the same the following day. I also didn't like the seating area up on a a plinth and I didn't like it being outside the bathroom. Not an ideal relaxation space. I think the website may be more chi chi than the reality I'm afraid. We loved the building, the history and the staff but we didn't like the grubby finish or the cramped room aspect. When you pay 5 star prices you expect a 5 star building and the little extra touches of comfort and luxury. The lobby area could do with some more chairs and comfort for lounging. All in all, great building, shabby standards, nice staff.

Room Tip: Don't stay on the 4th floor unless you want sloping ceilings and a narrow bijou feel.
6  Thank EmmelineLondon
Reviewed 14 April 2014

We stayed in the Grand Hotel Amrath with 2 friends in April 2014. Fabulous hotel with fabulous rooms. As everyone else has said, it is a five minute stroll from Centraal Station and looks very impressive as you approach it. The location is also very quiet at night and we heard nothing from outside, or inside, during our three night stay. Free mini bar which is restocked daily is something that I have not come across in any other hotel, and the wonderful Nespresso coffee machine is light years away from the usual kettle and packet instant coffee of other hotels. Large rooms and large, comfortable beds, with a separate bath and shower in our bathroom, as well as two sinks, very handy in the morning. The room was tidied twice a day, morning and afternoon. Very quick check in and check out, even though we didn't book it through the hotel itself. Unfortunately we did not use the spa facility or breakfast so cannot comment. Definitely recommend this hotel to anyone.

2  Thank Anderson65
Reviewed 13 April 2014

My wife and I stayed in this quirky art deco hotel on an all inclusive BA weekend break.

A faulty room fan in our appointed room led to an upgrade to well appointed and unusually spacious junior suite. The hotel (built as offices for wealthy shipping companies in 1913) is an excellent example of early 20th century art deco and the glass panelling in various corners of the public spaces is quite stunning.

The high points were the free well stocked mini bar in every from, the well appointed bathrooms, the very comfortable beds, the wellness centre, BBC 1/2 on the television, the excellent breakfast, and the free broadband. The low point was the lack of a porterage service on arrival.

We ate in the hotel restaurant one night. The food was first class but the service did re-define the term 'slow food' . The first course took an hour to arrive and we were in the restaurant for well over 2 hours. Bizarrely, the food served did not properly rerflect the description on the menu. The potatoes, vegetables and accompaniments were all different to those advertised. It actually didn't matter as it was all delicious but quite strange given that the restaurant was far from busy. The price for two with drinks was a not unreasonable 85 Euros.

The Amrath is a great place to stay in Amsterdam. Well located It has a uniqueness to it that takes a lot of beating. We will stay there again if we return to Amsterdam.

2  Thank KSDorset