“Highlight of our trip”

Grand Hotel Amrath Amsterdam
Ranked #77 of 373 Hotels in Amsterdam
Reviewed 17 June 2014

This hotel is amazing. I can't state it better. I will most definitely be returning whenever I go back to Amsterdam. The staff was incredibly friendly and helpful. The room was luxurious, and apart from a bit of noise at reasonable hours from excited World Cup football fans, quiet and comfortable. Free WiFi and hotel minibar helped go the extra mile. It's also very close to a major train station that can be used to get to the airport. It's located a bit outside of the central part of the city, but my wife and I had no problem walking anywhere (we actually enjoyed getting to see the city while we were walking to places like the Rijksmuseum), however if you do have trouble walking or dislike doing so, keep that in mind. If you are wanting to stay in Amsterdam, I highly recommend you consider staying here.

2  Thank mistermonopoly
Write a ReviewReviews (4,031)

Reviewed 17 June 2014

We stayed at Grand Hotel Amrath Amsterdam from 29.04.2014 - 03.05.2014. Room is ok, but they charged €100,- for deposit authorization during our stay- and they promised this will be refund within a week.

No refund so far - despite promising so serveral times by emails....

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
9  Thank Ingfrid A
Reviewed 14 June 2014

Stayed for 2 nights, absolutely beautiful hotel. The environment was wonderful, the staff were very helpful and friendly,the rooms were spacious and luxurious. The bathroom was pristine.
I am fussy about hotels but this met all my expectations. A true five star hotel. I will definitely stay there again when next I am in Amsterdam,

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank Ijeoma E
Reviewed 12 June 2014

We stayed there for 2 nights with my wife and son, the room was big and well equipped.
The free open bar is good gesture, you do not feel urged to spend money very time you want something, there is 8-10 bottles of soda beer and water so it is nice to be able to grab a drink when you come back after a day out. The spa is also a life saver at night, it is open until 11pm.
The spa is bigger than expected with several sauna room (70°, 90°and a small one), jacuzy, swimming pool and 2 steam rooms.
The breafast is expensive but the food overall is expensive in Amsterdam.
We enjoyed our stay very much.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the back,it is quieter
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank franck_vil
Reviewed 11 June 2014

We stayed here for 7 nights and loved the Amrath. We had a superior-level room with huge windows on the second floor overlooking the canal. The room was lovely, staff were friendly and helpful and responded to all requests really quickly. We didn't eat in the main dining room but did eat in the bar and found both food and service excellent and of good value. Moreover this is a remarkable building - my husband and I were blown away by the beautiful art nouveau and art deco details, both inside and out. In fact I spent a certain amount of time just photographing this hotel. I think Amsterdam overall is remarkable in this sense, but the Amrath is really exceptional. We fell in love with the place. To me, the only drawback is the location in the old town somewhat near the red light district, coffeeshops, etc. When we walked the local area we saw some 'characters' who made us a little uncomfortable. I can't say it's dangerous as no one approached us nor did we have any troubles, at all - it was just a tone thing, it was not for us - but we easily circumvented by hopping on the trams and going to other parts of the city - art museums, Spiegelkwartier, Jordaan, the zoo, Stopera (where we saw an amazing "Falstaff" that I can't recommend highly enough). A great hotel, it's good though just to be aware what the area is like. I'd stay here again, certainly.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the canal side and on an upper (not ground) floor. The other side of the hotel is...
1  Thank Clarissa_7
Reviewed 11 June 2014

Hotel has a lovely style. Big marble staircase and quirky rooms. I was staying here on my own, meeting friends the next day so while I only stayed for one night it was a good experience.

The bed was very comfy, the free stocked mini bar is great and the coffee machine and pods in the room was a welcome addition. Free wifi adds to package.

The only issue I had was the room was very hot. The air control only lets you change +/- 3oC. Although it doesn't tell you what the standard temperature is so it's a tad limited. I did get maintenance to come and upon the windows in the room though and that solved my issue for the duration of my stay.

I managed to get a single room at a very reasonable rate and would not hesitate to recommend this place to anyone looking for a vibrant hotel in central Amsterdam.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Scottish_Steveo
Reviewed 10 June 2014

Everything was great! Service, staff and the rooms. The standard rooms are very big and both shower and bath. Food at the hotel was amazing. Free Wifi and free minibar.
The staff was so friendly. Good location.
Wellness center and the gym was very clean and comfort.