“Wonderful Hotel-Amazing Spa”

Ranked #69 of 367 Hotels in Amsterdam
New York City, New York
“Wonderful Hotel-Amazing Spa”
Reviewed 23 June 2014

I had always seen this converted government offices and knew they it was a 5 Star hotel but never stayed there. This time I was in for two concerts at Ziggo Dome so location close to the Amsterdam metro was fantastic. I arrived on a Sunday morning from the US and my room was not available but they took me to the Spa so I could shower, change clothes and enjoy the beautiful day in Amsterdam. My room was not too large but the bathroom was spacious with separate bath tub and shower so 5 star. The spa in the basement is beautiful with gym, pool with jet for doing laps and steam room and sauna. Top notch in every way. The staff was awesome, daily stocked minibar at no additional cost. Free internet throughout. All in all one of my favorite hotels I have ever stayed in and will likely be back in November for a week.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank mattydevans

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (786)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Izmir, Turkey
Reviewed 23 June 2014 via mobile

From cleanliness to hospitality everything was very good. This Gothic style architecture building is impressive, location is the best. At the heart of the centroom and in front of the central train station. The Staff is very kind and helpful

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Eray K
Reviewed 22 June 2014

A five minute walk from the central station in Amsterdam where all the trams, buses and trains stop. The rooms were clean. Beautiful big bath AND shower with two sinks. Great room service. Free mini bar which was refilled everyday and the bed was unbelieveable!!! The best night sleep I have ever had! The spa is wonderful! Especially the jacuzzi. I would say the only slight let down was the view. But if you are out most of the day it really doesn't matter. Fantastic hotel and I will definitely be going back. Friendly and helpful staff.

• Stayed June 2014
1 Thank RLowy
Carmel, California
Reviewed 22 June 2014

This lovely old,Grand ,but yet updated hotel is well located near city center and across from train station. The rooms quirky but elegant and well appointed. We were given a canal view room with very high ceilings and very comfortable.The front desk and room service were excellent and super efficient . A little pricey but it is a 5 star. Breakfast can be skipped at 33E for continental a bit expensive.

Room Tip: Canal view is pleasant . Although the double windows aren't meant to open ,still scenic
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank John D
Al Khobar, Saudi Arabia
Reviewed 22 June 2014

I have very few complaints about this hotel. The rooms are clear and comfortable, the staff friendly and the food delicious. The hotel is also idealy locatated in the centre of Amsterdam close to all of the main tourist attractions. The only negative points I would make are that the gym is very poorly equiped and, being a building of some vintage, it takes a long time for the lift to move between floors. I also feel that it is more akin to a 4 starr rather than a 5 star hotel as I would expect more facilities in the latter. Nevertheless, I havd a very pleasant stay in this hotel and would recommend it to others.

Room Tip: I wouldnt recommend staying on the 3rd or 4th floors as it just takes ages for the lift to respond...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Wrexham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 June 2014 via mobile

Myself and my partner booked this trip to get over a few difficult months and to celebrate becoming homeowners, so it was important that we picked a hotel which we could unwind in - and I'm so, so pleased we picked the Amrath. We could practically see the front door from the Centraal train station, which was a relief after a 5am flight (and also made working out which trams to catch very easy)! A concierge was ready to carry our bags and directed us to the spacious reception area, where even though it was early, they got our room ready so we could freshen up and get our bearings. Our room wasn't the most palatial the hotel could offer, but still took our breath away! Small details such as bathrobes and slippers, remote controlled curtains and BBC on the TV made a big difference, and I know everyone else mentions it but do not underestimate how important the free WiFi and minibar are. Every evening I could have a steaming hot deep bath with a cold drink and plan for the next day. I have trouble sleeping but not in the Amrath - the bed was huge, soft and turned down every evening. We were warm in the night, but when I mentioned this to the concierge he arranged straightaway for the windows to be opened from now on. We loved exploring the hotel - my snaps don't do the stunning art deco touches justice unfortunately! All in all we paid £500 for three nights (including flights) for both of us, and I can't believe how wonderful our stay was. Our trip to Amsterdam, and the Amrath., was just what the doctor ordered - we will come back to Amsterdam and don't even need to think twice about where to stay.

• Stayed June 2014
2 Thank charliesheep
Australia
Reviewed 18 June 2014

The Amrath is a luxury hotel located close to the centre of Amsterdam without the hustle and bustle. This is an old building restored into a beautiful hotel, the stained glass windows, the carved stone and wood throughout add a rare ambience in a hotel. The concierge and front office staff are welcoming and friendly offering every assistance to find your way around Amsterdam. The dining room is very comfortable offering a great breakfast or dinner and is a short walk away from the bar which offers a friendly atmosphere for either before or after dinner drinks. While there are some smaller rooms the majority are large with very high ceilings and electric curtains. The beds are extremely comfortable and the bathrooms are exceptional offering showers and baths. There is free WiFi throughout and the mini bars are free, there is also a great swimming pool and spa in the lower ground floor. We have stayed at the Amrath on three separate occasions from three to five days and are looking forward to our next stay in 2015.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the canal, to wake up, open the curtains from the bed and look out over t...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple