“A very pleasant stay”

Grand Hotel Amrath Amsterdam
Ranked #75 of 372 Hotels in Amsterdam
Reviewed 5 February 2010

From the moment we walked in the door the staff was extremely helpful and took good care of us. Nice rooms with a high ceiling. Free minibar (or included in the price) is a very good thing and when the staff also came by every night to check if we had all we needed it just added to the feeling that we made the best hotel decision for our weekend in Amsterdam :)

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank Aasjan

Reviewed 4 February 2010

The hotel rate was a little bit high for us and breakfast was not included. But after surveying a lot of hotels in Amsterdam, I still chose this hotel because: (1) I love the photos on their official website. (2) there is free internet connection (3) it's close to central station (4) the mini bar is free (with specific room rates).

I'm happy with the room and the canal view thouth it was on the first floor. I booked a room with a canal view and thought it would be on higher floors. So when I was lead to the room on the first floor I was a little bit shocked. But it turned out to be fine. I like the bathroom and the design of the closet. The service was great. The mini bar and the coffee machine were excellent!! Why not every hotel provide inclusive mini bar? (Customers love all-you-can-eat styles after all. You don't have to pay attention to or worry about the extra bills after you pay big money for the hotel room. :P)

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank breeze1024
Reviewed 25 January 2010

Was in Amsterdam for three days, stayed at the Amrath for two nights while completing a work project. Could not have wished for a better hotel... immaculate, clean, sophisticated, comfortable.

It's the little touches that makes the Amrath special. The welcome note from the manager, the welcome gift- a nice delftesque till of waffles, umbrella in the room, the complimentary mini-bar, the egyptian superb cotton for the bed sheets, the big windows looking over the harbour from your room, getting BBC World and Sky News in the room, the bathrobes, feather pillows of top quality.

A hotel truly home from home when you want to go away, have work things to sort. Pure class. They had made a minor mistake on my bill, where I had been charged for breakfast when it was included in my booking this was swiftly dealt with. This was probably down to me forgetting my room number at breakfast as I memorised how to get to my room by route rather than number probably because I had a lot on my mind with work.

The staff are friendly, approachable and knowledgeable. You are left in peace to go about your business but when you do need to ask or query something it is sorted right away.

The bathroom was great, the Lanvin toiletries came in handy as I forgot to pack some. The bath was big and drench shower very refreshing. Plenty of towels all decent size, nice material and fresh.

I forgot my security code for my in room safe, and one quick call to reception and a manager came up with a sophisticated PDA to reset the same. I nearly could not fly home as had locked my passport in safe!

The internet connection in the room was tricky to set up but that was down to Windows 7 default settings not being geared to logon to their system. Not the Amrath's fault simply needed a tweak in System Settings on Encryption.

If there had to be one negative it would be that no fresh real milk was in the room to go with the Nespresso machine and nearby shops do not seem to stock real milk. I only say this as normally UHT is common in all hotels, but when you have a fresh coffee machine in your room it would have just made all the difference to have real milk not the artificial stuff. Though this is not a criticism, simply this hotel is par excellence on everything and no other hotel in amsterdam can even come close.

The perfect destination for business travellers, social travellers anyone who is coming to Amsterdam and is willing to pay that little bit extra for a truly sublime stay. Memorable and idyllic.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled on business
2  Thank nathanlaw
Reviewed 23 January 2010

The Amrath did not disappoint. It is a magnificent building both inside and out. The rooms have high, high ceilings and are immaculately clean and well-decorated. We stayed in a Junior Suite which had 4 enormous windows which overlooked the city canal and was just a perfect base for our anniversary trip. The staff were really friendly and helpful (our daughter had arranged a surprise bottle of champagne in our room with them and they made sure that it was chilled and ready when we arrived).
We didn't bother with the breakfast as it was expensive, but did eat in the restaurant for dinner one night and the food was very good.
The bar had a lovely welcoming dark interior with an enormous bowl of snacks to nibble after a day wandering the canals of the city.
The free mini-bar was a real bonus and meant that we had champagne as an aperitif in our room every evening! Then there was the Espresso machine, the free wi-fi, the large comfortable and clean bathroom with large bath, shower and double sinks...and the evening service to your room to replenish any coffees/teas...
Could not find fault (apart from the positioning of a socket near a mirror to make hairdrying easier!!!)
The location really is only a 5 minute walk from the station so saved money by getting the train from Schiphol, and on the days we travelled the fare was only 2.80 Euros each...
Didn't go to the Well-Being Centre, but it did look very inviting.
If we ever return to Amsterdam then this would be my first choice of hotel.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank OntravelsfromNorfolk
Reviewed 18 January 2010

The hotel is in a great location: we arrived by train at night and it was a relief that the hotel was a very short and direct stroll away. The main attractions including the art museums and Concertgebouw are perfectly walkable. The building was impressive (check out the old fashioned lift - no longer in use) and vast, the staff incredibly helpful and friendly, proving city maps etc. The room was perfect... great facilities (mini bar and coffee etc included in the room price), fabulous view over the canal, very clean...very comfortable pillows and bath robes all added to the experience. There's not much the hotel hasn't thought of. We didn't eat in the restaurant but our one evening meal in the bar was very enjoyable: a good range of food/prices from great quality burgers and salads to delicious sea bream (expensive but worth it for a treat). The trip was a birthday treat and we were looked after very well... but do remember there'll be an additional city tax to pay when you check out.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank CambridgeExplorer
Reviewed 15 January 2010

What an amazing experience it was to stay at this hotel that is unlike any other I have stayed in. I travel at least once per month throughout Europe but have never stayed in such an incredible hotel. The architecture is like no other and never have I seen such a tremendous job of changing a historic building into a hotel. You would think this experience alone is enough for a memorable stay but the hotel building complimented with the level of service provided by the extremely professional and attentive staff provides the perfect combination.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank Bizz-Buzzer
Reviewed 14 January 2010

I decided to book this Hotel after reading the many reviews on Trip Advisor. This was our 4th trip to Amsterdam and we normally stay at the Barbazon Palace however this year there room rate was higher than I wanted to pay and anybody that reads my reviews will realise I like Luxury type Hotels but at bargain prices and again we hit on a winner.
I booked this room as a secret hotel on a well known web site and with a bit of research it was not difficult for me to work out that the secret Hotel was the Amrath. So not such a secret for me when I booked it for £100 per night
Great check in and the lady advised us that she had upgraded us. We got a superb room, huge comfy bed and pillows. There was a huge bathroom with great wet room area for the shower.
Very clean hotel and the room was very well serviced daily. Now this is a Luxury Hotel and the prices in the restaurant reflect this 30 euro’s each for breakfast.
Now this is where the Hotel comes into its own, you get a free mini bar, restocked daily and also a Nespresso coffee maker. Forget your 30 euro per person breakfast we would call to the bakery the evening before and buy some croissants and breakfast in the room with a great coffee and brandy (the Spanish way) free of charge.
The mini bar saves a fortune for us Brits as the pound is so weak against the euro.
If you are thinking of going to Amsterdam stay at this Hotel you will not regret it, the hotel is very close to the station and the Red Light District so every thing you want to see is close by. Great fun City

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple