“Excellent hotel”

Ranked #74 of 368 Hotels in Amsterdam
sydney
“Excellent hotel”
Reviewed 17 March 2010

Arrived at the hotel at 7am after a long haul flight from Australia. We were able to check immediately . Our room was 2nd floor on the main street side with large windows that opened. No noise problems . It was really nice to have a long hot bath ( with partner) after the flight. Breakfast was great ( included in rate). Free minibar was topped up daily. I have stayed in several hotels in Amsterdam previously which have always been small. The room was a good size with seating area. I will definately stay at the Grand Amrath again.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank ozzy70

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (796)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Boston, MA
Reviewed 15 March 2010

My boyfriend and I took the train in to Amsterdam from Paris and did a late check-in on Sunday night (March 13, 2010). The hotel is slightly hidden from view from Amsterdam Central Station, so if you're leaving the station, you want to head left out of the station.

When we arrived, the reception host was so lovely and kind and she surprised us with a room upgrade! We were upgraded from a "Superior Deluxe Room - City View" to a "Four Poster Room - City View" with a huge bed, a huge bathroom, two leather couches, and an amazing view of the canal. The gentleman who showed us around the hotel was very professional and gave us a great tour of the hotel and a great tour of our room…yes, it was that big (try getting it! Room 300). The bathroom was amazing. The standing shower was basically the size of a walk-in closet and had 4 shower heads. Separate from the shower was a large bathtub with fizzy bubble bath soap provided. The two sinks were modern-looking and we were provided with nice soaps and lotions. The FREE mini bar was stocked with sodas, orange juice, water, wine, hard liquor, and chocolate. There was a Nespresso machine that made gourmet espresso drinks comparable to a fancy cafe. (I've never heard of a Nespresso in the US and I was so impressed with this machine that I may buy one this weekend!) The four post bed was so comfortable and was piled on with large, fluffy pillows. The wellness center was by far the BEST wellness center I've ever been to at a hotel. The heated pool was a decent size and the jacuzzi seated four. There were three separate saunas and showers to rinse. The actual gym had a few machines, but you do so much walking in Amsterdam that you don't need to do any cardio when you go to visit the city! Our check out was fast and easy and they held our luggage while my boyfriend and I wandered around Amsterdam during the afternoon.

The hotel is really close to the Red Light District but far enough from it to where there is really no rowdy noise. It's also conveniently located a couple blocks away from Amsterdam Central and the main tram stop.

Overall, I have to say that the Grand Amrath is the best hotel I've ever stayed in and I would highly recommend this place to anyone.

Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
4 Thank JaseMe516
Ireland
Reviewed 15 March 2010

What can I say? This hotel left me empty. It is totally atmosphereless and one feels totally alone.

Walking through the entrance I felt I had mistakenly arrived at the service entrance. It was a bit of a shock as I am used to staying in 5 star hotels and this certainly was way below my expectation. The staff were friendly but very matter of fact. Didn't have much contact with them during our 4 day stay.

What can I say about the massive, utterly appalling interior decoration, room? It was dark and dingy and seriously lacked any sense of luxury. Scruffy bathrobes but no slippers, a trouser press that didn't work, wine but no wine glasses, six hangers for two people and the list goes on.

The bathroom was modern and the shower was excellent. The bed was very comfortable. The Nespresso machine and minibar were a good touch to an otherwise depressing room.

The spa...definitely not in the 5 star category. Perhaps a "coffee Shop" was used during the rating of the hotel!

In my opinion the Amrath should not be 5 Star anything.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled with friends
Denby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 March 2010

I'm going to keep this brief, as no-one reads the good reviews.
We stayed at the Amrath for my birthday and it was superb. Constant attention to the mini bar and in-room coffee supplies, helpful staff and excellent accommodation, all 5 minutes walk form the train station, makes this an excellent venue for a trip to Amsterdam!
We would definitely stay here again.

Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Gavin_Clark
New York, New York
Reviewed 14 March 2010

I have stayed at many 5 star hotels around the world and do not understand how the Amrath achieved this rating. We were originally shown a large, dark room over the air ducts. For a little extra, they moved us to another room that had a view over a canal; however, we didn't get a tub. I had to ask for a new robe to replace the very frayed one I received.
The decor in the rooms is dark and drab. The bathrooms are new and nice (although Rm 208 has no tub and is small). There is no turndown service, no clock in the room and no sound system/MP3 player. I just never felt that I was in a luxury hotel. I felt like I was staying at the Overlook (The Shining) while it was closed for the winter. There was a definite feeling of being completely alone except if you were at the front desk.
The beds are great. Ben at the front desk is fantastic and I loved the free mini bar.
However, I wouldn't recommend this hotel to friends as a 5 star. If the prices were much lower, of course, but lose the "luxury" in the description.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled with friends
Houston
Reviewed 13 March 2010

My husband and I stayed at the Grand Amrath for a one-night visit in February which we wish had been much longer. This is truly an exceptional hotel that lives up to its 5-star rating. It is an historic building converted from the offices of giant shipping companies in Holland that reigned in the late 19th century and early 20th century. So, at every turn, the building is replete with more mahogany, marble, and etched glass than one can really imagine. The rooms are very large and have enormous ceilings with tall windows looking out to the canals on one side and the ship channel on the other. The rooms also come equipped with a complementary mini-bar and your own personal espresso machine, both innovations that one can only hope will hit the States soon. The staff was very friendly and attentive. The hotel is located about a 5 minute walk from the Central Train Station, so it is perfectly situated to hop on a tram and head out to explore the city. A lavish buffet breakfast is also included in the price of the room. If you want to stay here, you need to really keep you eye on the various price specials on the main travel websites. I got a great deal on a room but could not find a similar price on our return to Amsterdam a week and one-half later. But, if you can find a good deal, go.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled on business
2 Thank MRRHouston
illinois usa
Reviewed 7 March 2010

This hotel was perfect in every way. The rooms were beautiful and spotlesslessly clean, the pillows were of several types and hypoallergenic ones were available. The bathroom was luxurious by any standard, the staff helpful but not overbearing. The spa is amazing. The only downside is that food in the hotel is very expensive and portions are tiny. That aside, it is a perfect experience we will be returning again. They are sweet to well behaved kids and make staying their special for them.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled on business