“VERY DISAPPOINTING VISIT” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #67 of 362 Hotels in Amsterdam
Scarborough
“VERY DISAPPOINTING VISIT”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 November 2010

My wife and I, after reading reviews on Tripadvisor decided to stay at this hotel. We regret our choice.I have stayed in many 5 star hotels and this I would rate at less than 4 stars. Our suite had an canal view and was of a reasonable size. Unfortunately there was something wrong with the plumbing. Soon after we arrived I tried to have a shower. The channels where the water should have gone were blocked and the bathroom was flooded. The water started coming into the bedroom. We called reception and after half an hour had to go down myself to reception. Two people then arrived and removed the blockage. However the stench we smelt when first going in the room was still present and got worse as the day went on. No-one tidied up the mess and the wet footprints of hotel staff were plain to see for the next two days. We had hoped to be offered another room but we were not. We put up with the smell for two nights. During our short stay some newly purchased hair straighteners of my wife "disappeared" from the room. We compained to the management but after an investigation by them they have been unable to find them. We were offer a free nights stay in the future but we declined this as we could not stay in any hotel where theft was treated so casually. Would not recommend this hotel to anyone. Two plus points to the stay were the quietness in the room when the remote controlled curtains were closed. The second plus was the pillows were possibly the most comfortable pillows i have ever slept on. However, this does make for the dissatisfaction we feel.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank YorkshireFellow

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (741)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Breda, Spain
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 November 2010

The hotel is beautiful, An old ship company in art decor style. Alot of interresting ornaments inside and outside of this historic building. It is beautiful when the building in lighted up at nite in the evening.After a long day walking around the city, a swim in the indoor pool, saunas, jaccuzi really helped with my tired legs and body. There are also massage and treatments in the spa for a reasonable hotel price. There is not so many hotels has a spa and a pool in Amsterdam.So for me, it is a perfect place to stay for the facilities and for the value of money. The hotel service is good, food is good . Rooms are nice. Apart from the breakfast buffet for 25 euro, there is another option for just a more simple french breakfast for 13,50 euro in the Bar/Lounge which is think is a nice details. I recommended this hotle.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank NancyLee1969
Carrollton, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 October 2010

My husband and I made our first trip to Amsterdam in September 2010 and did a 5 star / first class trip in several countries in Europe for his 40th birthday. This in not a 5 star hotel by any means. The hotel had a weird entrance and hallways and seemed very dark but it is a great location. Staff gave us mis-information about places to eat but we figured it out ourselves. The bed was very comfortable but parts of the hotel felt dirty. I would probably stay at another location if we went back.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank beenaroundtheworld00
Las Vegas Nevada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 October 2010

This property is not even close to a 5 star hotel and they can thank the rude and curt women at reception as well as whatever the scam is to have a porter bring even the smallest bag to your room. Room assignment is clearly linked to the booking site-despite having paid extra for a deluxe room with a view, I was "upgraded" to a superior room with a view of an exterior wall ladder and the other side of the building. ( I will say that there was a lovely bird's nest on the ladder to replace my paid for deluxe room with a view). When I queried about the lack of a view...the truly snippy lady in reception informed me that I had been upgraded so nothing they could do...I would have traded the few extra feet for a view that I paid for! Rooms are average in scope and furnishings so nothing special. I have had better personal service at 2 star properties...only book here if your get a very cheap rate...not worth any more unless you crave rude check-in and curt responses to any request for help.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled on business
United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 October 2010

We stayed here in August 2009 and this 5 star hotel with massive room, looking down the canals of Amsterdam was nothing to compare to. This was a converted old building something related to shipping / maritime (correct me if i am wrong), with its mazes of corridor but the helpful staff was there to show the way to the room. 10 minutes walk from the Centraal Station (straight from Schipol) was convenient and is the middle of everything. The mini bar was complementary which was another luxury as well as pool, steam room, sauna and jacuzzi. Although our room was in the 1st floor, it was quite high enough, good insulation and blackout curtain which helped towards the good night sleep. We paid the extra and is worth while of all the money.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank traveldizzy
Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 October 2010

There are so many bad reviews of the Amrath that I felt I should give the other side of the coin - a great experience.

I had booked the Amrath through an internet booking site at a significant savings; it was accepted (and this was months in advance). I then received an email from the company that said "sorry, the hotel would not accept your reservation! " What? Apparently there was a large IT conference taking place and they knew they could sell the room much higher than I was paying.

So I got proactive and after speaking to the horrible rep at the booking company (cannot remember the name) I wrote to the President of all the Amraths, not expecting to hear a word for little ole me . But I had to release my anger and I was seething.

To my surprise he wrote me the next day apologizing and agreeing it was not the way for a 5* property to act. He reinstated my reservation and had the manager at the Amrath write in addition- with an apology and confirmation.

After reading all the bad reviews, I was constantly worrying about our stay, however, went ahead knowing it was for only a short time. When we arrived, two young men were being checked in and this was at 7:30am...they were told their "jr suites " would not be available until 3 or 4pm. I am thinking,oh no we have to sleepwalk through Amsterdam!

So we sit down to a desk with 2 young ladies and I am dreading this....tired; long flight from U.S. etc. and I give her the note from the GM with our "superior deluxe" res. & to my surprise a man comes out - apparently a mgr. sort and thanks us for coming; speaks to the young women very quietly and all of a sudden we are in the most beautiful deluxe suite we've seen in years! Clean, very contemporary with a 4 poster all in black. Beautiful layout and an unbelievable view of the canal. Surprised, but VERY happy. We had been travellng since 12noon the day before and the room gave me enough" endorphin happy feelings" to enjoy Amsterdam's beautiful sites w/o a nap. I wish we had stayed longer.

The staff and concierge were very approachable and friendly as we strolled around looking at the amazing architecture - the very reason we chose the Amrath.
Very good dinner in the bar area; friendly bartender.

SO...if you have complaints I would take the time to write to the company; giving a bad review is helpful for prospective guests but taking it to the top of the company just might change some of the problems the Amrath faces. It is sad to read the bad reviews when I know there opportunities for an excellent stay as we experienced.
I tried to upload a pic of the gorgeous room but it did not work...I am sure there are pics somewhere - it is called the 4 Poster Room - very romantic.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Gracieva
Warwickshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 October 2010

Very good accomodation close to centre, central station and trams. Quiet rooms with free minibar! Srayed in room 202 overlooking canal and city centre - thank you.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple