“A mecca!!!”

Grand Hotel Amrath Amsterdam
Ranked #77 of 373 Hotels in Amsterdam
Reviewed 15 November 2010

After a bad experience at in Paris and on the train, my friend and I showed up to this hotel absolutely cranky, tired and wanting to go home. As soon as we checked in, all those feelings melted away. The staff was so friendly, helpful and accommodating, we were blown away. Our room was absolutely beautiful and the bed was very comfortable. We slept really well. Our bathroom was immaculate with a soaking tub. The hotel has a wonderful spa with affordable massage prices and a fantastic steam room. The food was delicious and I have never had service this good at any other hotel. We almost cried when we had to leave. I will definitely go back to this hotel when I return to Amsterdam. I highly recommend!!

• Stayed: May 2010
1  Thank yayangie
Write a ReviewReviews (4,026)

Reviewed 14 November 2010

I was extremely surprised to read reviews of poor service at this hotel. We have just returned from a wonderful few days at this hotel. We received a fabulous upgrade to a mammoth three room suite at the front of the hotel. The decor is very art deco with a nautical theme in keeping with it's history. We had cause to interact with all members of staff form reception to concierge and dining staff and everyone was warm, friendly, and extremely helpful. The decor is quirky and at times a little dark but clearly every effort has been made to be true to the roots of the hotel. We were enchanted by the atmosphere. The free minibar was much appreciated and refilled at least once a day and the Nspresso coffee machine was thouroughly enjoyed by my wife with a full range of pods to choose from.Down sides to the stay would include an ongoing difficulty with wireless and iPhones and ipads which was not resolved. The location was very central and very close to Centraal Station for transfers, trams and metros. However to walk to the various main areas like Dam Square, Anne Frank House etc required a walk through the red light district which may cause problems for those with children. Overall I will be back to Amsterdam and I will stay inn this hotel again without reservation

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Kerrdoc
Reviewed 14 November 2010

My wife and I, after reading reviews on Tripadvisor decided to stay at this hotel. We regret our choice.I have stayed in many 5 star hotels and this I would rate at less than 4 stars. Our suite had an canal view and was of a reasonable size. Unfortunately there was something wrong with the plumbing. Soon after we arrived I tried to have a shower. The channels where the water should have gone were blocked and the bathroom was flooded. The water started coming into the bedroom. We called reception and after half an hour had to go down myself to reception. Two people then arrived and removed the blockage. However the stench we smelt when first going in the room was still present and got worse as the day went on. No-one tidied up the mess and the wet footprints of hotel staff were plain to see for the next two days. We had hoped to be offered another room but we were not. We put up with the smell for two nights. During our short stay some newly purchased hair straighteners of my wife "disappeared" from the room. We compained to the management but after an investigation by them they have been unable to find them. We were offer a free nights stay in the future but we declined this as we could not stay in any hotel where theft was treated so casually. Would not recommend this hotel to anyone. Two plus points to the stay were the quietness in the room when the remote controlled curtains were closed. The second plus was the pillows were possibly the most comfortable pillows i have ever slept on. However, this does make for the dissatisfaction we feel.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank YorkshireFellow
Reviewed 1 November 2010

The hotel is beautiful, An old ship company in art decor style. Alot of interresting ornaments inside and outside of this historic building. It is beautiful when the building in lighted up at nite in the evening.After a long day walking around the city, a swim in the indoor pool, saunas, jaccuzi really helped with my tired legs and body. There are also massage and treatments in the spa for a reasonable hotel price. There is not so many hotels has a spa and a pool in Amsterdam.So for me, it is a perfect place to stay for the facilities and for the value of money. The hotel service is good, food is good . Rooms are nice. Apart from the breakfast buffet for 25 euro, there is another option for just a more simple french breakfast for 13,50 euro in the Bar/Lounge which is think is a nice details. I recommended this hotle.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank NancyLee1969
Reviewed 30 October 2010

My husband and I made our first trip to Amsterdam in September 2010 and did a 5 star / first class trip in several countries in Europe for his 40th birthday. This in not a 5 star hotel by any means. The hotel had a weird entrance and hallways and seemed very dark but it is a great location. Staff gave us mis-information about places to eat but we figured it out ourselves. The bed was very comfortable but parts of the hotel felt dirty. I would probably stay at another location if we went back.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank beenaroundtheworld00
Reviewed 29 October 2010

This property is not even close to a 5 star hotel and they can thank the rude and curt women at reception as well as whatever the scam is to have a porter bring even the smallest bag to your room. Room assignment is clearly linked to the booking site-despite having paid extra for a deluxe room with a view, I was "upgraded" to a superior room with a view of an exterior wall ladder and the other side of the building. ( I will say that there was a lovely bird's nest on the ladder to replace my paid for deluxe room with a view). When I queried about the lack of a view...the truly snippy lady in reception informed me that I had been upgraded so nothing they could do...I would have traded the few extra feet for a view that I paid for! Rooms are average in scope and furnishings so nothing special. I have had better personal service at 2 star properties...only book here if your get a very cheap rate...not worth any more unless you crave rude check-in and curt responses to any request for help.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 28 October 2010

We stayed here in August 2009 and this 5 star hotel with massive room, looking down the canals of Amsterdam was nothing to compare to. This was a converted old building something related to shipping / maritime (correct me if i am wrong), with its mazes of corridor but the helpful staff was there to show the way to the room. 10 minutes walk from the Centraal Station (straight from Schipol) was convenient and is the middle of everything. The mini bar was complementary which was another luxury as well as pool, steam room, sauna and jacuzzi. Although our room was in the 1st floor, it was quite high enough, good insulation and blackout curtain which helped towards the good night sleep. We paid the extra and is worth while of all the money.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple