My comments below in bullet point form:
- Hotel lacking atmosphere (in everything but exterior architecture).
- Room dirty upon arrival (surfaces not clean, nespresso area dirty, mould on surfaces in bedroom and in bathroom, rubbish in cupboard).
- Room was damp and cold (demonstrated by bubbling wallpaper and aforementioned mould on ceiling). Despite having a "deluxe room with city view" the room was so small you had to squeeze past the foot of the bed to get to the far side of the room.
- Heating was unreliable, and room temperature was extremely uncomfortable at times
- Hotel was noisy - there is an old wooden lift system in the hotel which cannot be used for safety resons but for some reason was run all night on a few nights - clattering and clanking away and keeping us awake.
- Service was appalling and staff unhelpful - when reporting cold room temperature to reception they did the bare minimum to help and the problem was ultimately not solved. Despite a refreshed-daily "free" minibar being included in our package the hotel on numerous occasions failed to replenish the minibar. On one day when I actually called reception to ask for the minibar to be filled, at c.8pm (we wanted to have some drinks in our room before heading out for dinner) they said they would not be able to help as "the drinks were locked away and nobody has the key".
To conclude it is a shame that a building with such potential to be a great hotel is being run in such an appalling way. A 5* hotel should never put guests in a dirty, cold room - and nothing should be impossible - especially when the request is as simple as a few beers at 8pm!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Grand Hotel Amrath Amsterdam is a five-star deluxe hotel situated in the monumental Shipping House. You can find us on the Prins Hendrikkade in the city center at only 500m from Central Station and 1100m from Dam Square. We have 165 rooms and suites, offering complimentary wireless internet, free minibar with alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks and free entrance to the Spa & Wellness center. Facilities furthermore include restaurant Seven Seas, meeting rooms and a bar/lounge. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Jet2Holidays , Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Hotelopia, Odigeo, Southall Travel, Agoda, TravelUp, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd, Cancelon, Hotel.de and HotelQuickly so you can book your Grand Hotel Amrath Amsterdam reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.