We can't find prices for this accommodation
Boutique B&B Kamer01
Ranked #2 of 338 Amsterdam B&B and Inns
Reviewed 1 November 2011

If you really want to “live” Amsterdam, this is the place for you. The owners of Kamer01, Peter and Wolter (and of course Tommie – their sweet doggie) are the definitive hosts and their knowledge of Amsterdam is encyclopedic. We are experienced travelers and have stayed in many great hotels. Two years ago we tried a B&B (for the first time) in Normandy and had a fabulous experience. We decided that staying in a canal house B&B might be the ultimate Amsterdam experience. I came across Kamer01 on the web and there were only great reviews – not one negative comment anywhere. I thought this place must be too good to be true. Well, I now have my own great review to add to all the others.

We arrived in Amsterdam off a river cruise ship much earlier than I had anticipated. We went directly to our B&B fully expecting to just drop our luggage off and apologize for our early arrival. , Peter met us at the door and was so gracious. He was surprised to see us so early, but immediately took our luggage up to the kitchen. He did some last minute checking of our room and said we could go up and get settled. We were very appreciative and knew we were off to a great start in Amsterdam.

We stayed 4 nights and really felt as if this was our home away from home. The location is simply the best. You can literally walk to everything. The breakfasts were elegantly presented, wonderful baked goods, cheese, fresh orange juice, fruit and I am sure anything else you could ask for, but I could not think of a thing. We were in the red room - very spacious with 2 large windows overlooking the canal and another window at the back. There was a sofa, chair with lots of room to spread out. The bed was very comfortable and the desk, with apple computer (although we had our own computers) was quite convenient. The internet service was complimentary and excellent – maybe better than we have at home! The very contemporary bath was a treat – well thought out with very nice fixtures and a great shower with lots of pressure. The room had fresh flowers and bottled water – what more could you ask for?

We were a bit apprehensive about the winding, narrow stairway, but quickly figured it out. Thankfully, Peter saw to our luggage. We could not have handled our luggage on the stairs. Handling ourselves was challenge enough, but added to our “real” Amsterdam experience.

Peter and Wolter were a wealth of information. I came to Amsterdam well prepared with my list and maps of things I wanted to see and do. They added good insight and suggestions. There is nothing like local knowledge. The only thing I would have done differently was to ask them how to use the trams at the beginning of our trip. We finally figured them out at the end – our mistake. This is truly a wonderful place to stay, but what make it so special are Peter, Wolter and Tommie. We enjoyed our conversations with Peter and Wolter and loved our time with Tommie – when he was awake. This is not your morning dog – but a sweet, well behaved love. Bottom line – outstanding, great attention to detail, a wonderful experience. It is worth a trip to Amsterdam just to stay here.

Room Tip: We were in the red room and did not go up to see the blue room, but I am sure you would not go wrong...
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sanfrancisco820

Reviewed 30 October 2011

I was in Amsterdam traveling recently and was able on very short notice to secure a room at Kamer01. Due to my last minute scheduling, I stayed in both the Red Room and the Blue Room. Both were beautifully designed with great views of the canal. Kamer01 is extremely well located. The breakfasts are terrific and the fridge in the kitchen is always stocked with beers, wine, cheeses and other snacks. When you return home from dinner in the evening there are chocolates and cookies and choice liquores awaiting. What really makes Kamer01 special, however, are Peter and Walter. They are incredibly knowledgeable about Amsterdam, its history, its people and current issues. Without in the slightest being intrusive, they make sure that you are taken care of. I had a great conversation one morning with Walter about their work rennovating the building, and before long we were talking about the old Jewish synogogue in the jewish quarter and the origins of the coffee trade in Holland. I had told Peter at one point that I was developing a real taste for dutch Jenever (gin). The night before I left he suggested that I go to a Jenever tasting bar (and restaurant) around the corner, De Admiral. It was terrific. I would never have known about it if Peter had not suggested it, and it turned out to be a real trip highlight. I do not consider myself to be a Bed & Breakfast type person, and usually like just to be left alone, but I really enjoyed talking to Peter and Walter and staying at their hotel, and I'm sure you will too.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank Don R
Reviewed 27 October 2011

I'm almost hesitant to write about my experience, because I want the Kamer01 to be available whenever I'm in Amsterdam! In fact, I cannot imagine staying anywhere else -- and only hope that Peter and Wolter open up a string of similar boutique hotels throughout the world!

The setting is ideal, overlooking the city's inner most canal. The breakfasts are beautifully presented, and are a gourmet selection of artfully crafted fruits, meats and cheeses, warm and freshly baked breads, eggs cooked to order, etc. There is fresh squeezed juice and perfect coffee. I was in Amsterdam for work and found that I wasn't even hungry until dinner time -- so not only was breakfast a decadent feast for the senses, it was also physically satisfying.

I stayed in the Blue Room, which is on top. The room is gorgeous, elegant, and outfitted with luxury soaps, sumptuous linens, a new computer with lightning fast internet connection, etc. (I imagine the Red Room is similarly divine.) The decor is six star quality, and in fact much cooler and luxurious than rooms/suites where I've stayed at the Chateau Marmont, Soho Grand in NY, the Four Seasons, the Ritz, the Beverly Hills Hotel, the Berkeley in London, etc. This place is really that nice -- a hand-cut jewel that radiates taste, elegance, artistry and soul.

The attention to detail is unparalleled. For example, there are written instructions on how to operate the television, the heat, the lights, etc., and with easy to understand (for this American!) visuals. There are two bottles of water in handwrapped paper waiting in your room, twin chocolates offered upon check-in, a fridge stocked with waters, juices, beer, soda, chocolate bars, mixed nuts, etc., etc. I was traveling with a business colleague, who was put up at another hotel, and she practically turned the color of Van Gogh's sunflowers when she visited my room.

Beyond the accommodations, Peter, Wolter and Tommie the Beagle helped with taxis, directions, restaurants, chocolatiers, and keeping the senses aloft, etc. In fact, as I had already been traveling for a couple weeks and asked for a 24-hour laundry service in the neighborhood, Peter actually washed a load of my clothes and expertly folded them, etc. This is top notch, white glove service.

Also, the location is unbeatable, impeccable, inspiring. It was my first trip to Amsterdam, and I'm really wondering what took so long -- but the Kamer01 was a huge part of the unforgettable experience. I am already hoping to visit again soon.

If the world was like Peter and Wolter's exquisite creation, then it wouldn't be the world -- it would be heaven.

You owe it to yourselves to stay here... even if that means I shall be forced on occasion to slum it at the Dylan, etc. ;)

P.S. This is the first review I've ever written about a hotel, but once you stay here, you'll feel compelled too! Bon voyage! And to those of you booking now, you don't know how lucky you are!

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 25 October 2011

Read the entire review!!! We barely got out of our taxi when our B&B hosts, Peter and Wolter, were helping my sister-in-law and me with our luggage. Immediately escorted to their gorgeous and beautifully designed kitchen/breakfast/common room, they presented us with a light breakfast even though check-in wasn't for another 7 hours (we took an overnight flight from the US). Fortified, confident with directions and instructions from Peter and Wolter, we were on our way. Our stay only got better. Each morning, we were greeted by Peter who provided and "designed" the most scrumptous breakfast, all while overlooking the canal. As perfect hosts, they became our personal concierge. One-on-one service, a novel experience in this day and age of technology. I know of no other place to receive personal attention. We stayed in the "Red" room, on the second floor, which because of Peter's talented design capabilities, used every inch of space to provide a welcoming, comfortable and unique room. The bathroom is to die for. Fresh flowers. Windows overlooking the Singel canel. You just can't get any better. But wait, there's more. Upon returning each evening after dinner, refreshments and treats were waiting for us on the kitchen counter. Peter, Wolter and Tommie (their adorable , fun and well-behaved Beagle) were gracious, accommodating, generous, engaging and fun. We adore them and miss them already. If you want a "fine" experience, in a PERFECT location with helpful and well-informed hosts who respect your privacy, look no further. WE WILL RECOMMEND B&B KAMER 01 TO EVERYONE!. Pat & Patty (October 15-22,2011)

Room Tip: Both rooms are divine
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank Pat F
Reviewed 12 October 2011

We were. Kamer 01 is the brilliant embodiment of an interior designer's personal and self-indulgent project. Peter has created a little masterpiece - a word chosen carefully in the context of a B&B. But a beautiful place is nothing without personality. His relaxed and generous hospitality, humour and intelligence makes this B&B experience quite like any other. It was tempting to forego the city and spend the day there. Sometimes in life, one is, well, just blown away. We were.
Location = excellent, Breakfast= sumptious, enjoyment = total.

Room Tip: We had the red room, and didn't see the blue room. There are only two. Our fellow guests also se...
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Bob B
Reviewed 10 October 2011

We stayed at the Kamer 01 in early October 2011.
This is by far one of the most exciting hotel experience we ever had.
The location is ideal : within walking distance of everything the city has to offer.
Both rooms have a great view. Their decoration and attention to details is exquisite. A very tasteful selection of drinks is included.

But these are your two hosts that set this hotel apart.
Peter and Wolter embody what "personalized service" could mean. They always have good advice about what to do, visit, where to eat.
By the second morning, they remember precisely your tastes for breakfast and serve you accordingly. They really care, which puts in the greatest mood to enjoy your day in the heart of a gorgeous city.
Even luxury designer hotels (like the Hempel, Sanderson, St Martins lane…) are no match for the breakfast you're served at Kamer 01. It changes everyday and uses only the freshest products.

If you like to rush at a big buffet in the morning and quickly head out, this might not be your place.
Kamer 01 is about inspiration and poetry.
So if enjoying a great breakfast, spirited conversation with your hosts and other guests and a stunning view of the canals is your ideal day start, then book now.

Room Tip: Red room : classic Kingsize bed Blue room : round bed
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 October 2011

My wife and I had the priviledge of visiting Amsterdam and staying with Peter, Wolter and Tommie for 5 days. Our experience was nothing short of outstanding. The B&B is ideally located, the breakfast incredibly delicious and first rate, the room totally comfortable, and all the amenities and attention provided by Peter and Wolter are beyond our expectations. It was our first visit to Amsterdam and every recommendation that Peter and Wolter gave us was spot on! Their favorite restaurants and sites became ours! I am definately looking forward to returning! I recommend this B&B hands down.

Room Tip: Both the Red and Blue rooms were excelent. The Red room is closer to the kitchen which always helps...
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple