“Discover a Gem in the heart of Amsterdam”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Boutique B&B Kamer01
Ranked #2 of 338 Amsterdam B&B and Inns
Reviewed 12 December 2006

I visited Amsterdam for just over 5 weeks at the end of August, and booked my first weeks accommodation at the delightful Kamer01. Until my stay there, I have never really been a fan of bed & breakfasts. I had sometimes found B&B’s to be places with obnoxious hosts and little privacy. Instead, where possible, I would normally book a 5 star hotel and pay thousands of dollars for impersonal service and a sometimes cramped room. Well Kamer01 changed my views on B&B’s. From thinking that I would stay there for one week and then change to a hotel once I had found my footing in Amsterdam, I extended my booking and stayed at Kamer01 for 5 weeks.

Everything about this place oozes charm, class and sophistication from the moment you walk through the front door (but still screams out that you are home). Your host’s Peter and Wolter leave no stone unturned to ensure that your stay is pleasurable and memorable. Tommy, their beautiful beagle does his part too!

In Amsterdam it can be difficult to find a room that is bigger then a 10 cent coin, but at Kamer01 my room was huge (I stayed in the red room). The room and furnishings were simply stunning with no expense spared. Your own private bathroom offers a huge rain shower, delightful toiletries, an amazing wash basin and separate toilet. The room is equipped with an iMac with iTunes library and also offers WiFi access if you are traveling with your own laptop. The room also features an LCD TV and DVD Player. Beautiful fresh flowers grace the room and your private bathroom. Thoughtful finishing touches include bottled water and a huge bowl of mints.

Downstairs in the kitchen you are served a sumptuous breakfast each morning, complete with freshly squeezed juice and delicious coffee, warm rolls and croissants, a fine selection of meats, cheese, jams and spreads. In the evenings drinks and nibbles are served in the kitchen if so desired and I constantly enjoyed these before heading out to dinner each night. As if all of this is not enough, you are free to help yourself to a selection of drinks and nibbles at any time from the kitchen.

Your hosts Peter and Wolter are always available to assist you with all your enquiries, from recommending a good restaurant for lunch or dinner, through to booking tours or shows and onwards travel. Nothing is too much trouble here! In my case my 5 week visit was the first step to making my new home in Amsterdam. At the end of my stay I returned to Australia for 1 month and now I live in this beautiful city Amsterdam. I often walk past Kamer01, and my only regret about now living in Amsterdam is that I can no longer stay in this most precious gem. I mean how many of us could be lucky enough to live in a gorgeous B&B forever? I really wish that I could!

I do not normally do recommendations or reviews, but this place is just too good to keep to myself. When you get the chance to stay at Kamer01, GRAB IT! You will be glad you did.

• Stayed: September 2006, travelled solo

Reviewed 16 November 2006

Myself and Jacqui stayed at Kamer01 (A wonderful boutique guesthouse), for 4 nights. I have visited Amsterdam a few times and staying there made it the most memorable trip yet.

Jacqui and I were made to feel so welcome by Peter, Walter and Tommy their dog.

The "Red Room" was so luxurious and beautifully decorated. Ideal for couples and honeymooners with a sumptuous king-sized bed and best quality linen. The bathroom is a treat, I could have stayed in the shower forever. You can't help but feel totally relaxed after your first night. The bathroom sink is quite unique, undoubtedly one of Peter's many marvellous designs.

Breakfast is fantastic which sets you up for the day together with their divine coffee.

It's ideally situated for visiting the Rijksmuseum, Van Gough Museum and surrounded by great Cafe's, bars, and coffee shops. It's only a short walk to; Vondelpark, Flower Market, Dam Square and the City Centre.

I would recommend it to all my friends, it's worth booking well in advance to make sure you reserve a room. We loved the red room but we are both looking forward to staying in the blue room on our next visit, hopefully in the summer.

We will plan our next trip to Amsterdam only when we know we are able to stay there, nowhere else compares!

Very Highly Recommended
John and Jacqui (London)

• Stayed: October 2006, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 October 2006

If you're looking to experience the beauty of Amsterdam without the often cold, cookie-cutter setting that a hotel typically provides, look no further than Kamer 01. Set in the true heart of Amsterdam, this B&B is convenient to all major tourist areas, chiefly the museums, which are a short stroll away. And because Amsterdam is such a small city, the rest of the wonderful locales are easily accessible by tram, canal boat, bicycle (if you dare!), or just plain walking. We are from New York City, so "hoofing it" all about town came natural to us, but even the most sedentary sort will find the area easy to traverse on foot.
And after a long day of walking, you will return to an immaculately decorated and maintained room, an inviting and comfortable bed, and the welcoming melodies emanating from iTunes on the internet connected iMac (wireless available for use as well). Each morning, Peter and/or Wolter and of course the lovable beagle Tommy will greet you with a breakfast so beautifully presented, you almost feel bad messing it up by eating it. But eat it you will as it is quite delicious. They will do anything and everything they can to accommodate -- be it through recommending and reserving a place at Amsterdam's finest restaurants, or simply making note of something seemingly said in passing and translating that into a richer experience. Peter noticed my taste in fruits can be very picky, but through conversation found that mangos, in particular, escaped the scrutiny of my finicky palate. Before we left the next day he provided us a wonderful mango drink for breakfast that was truly divine. It's this sort of attention to detail that you will find enmeshed in everything about their establishment -- from the spectacularly designed sink (Red Room), the perfectly sealed, noise-reducing windows, and the meticulous decor. Because of their wonderful hospitality and graciousness, Kamer 01 was a big part of the fabulous memories we will cherish of our holiday in Amsterdam. If you're smart enough to follow in our path, you are sure to enjoy yourselves as much as we most certainly did.

• Stayed: October 2006, travelled as a couple
2  Thank wahinekane
Reviewed 29 September 2006

We booked the blue room for our 14 years old daughter Natascha and her girlfriend Svenja.
Sue and I took the red room, and we were impressed of the lovely atmosphere. Not that we’ve seen the internet pictures, but the selected interiors and the extraordinary design made us fall in love with our room, the kamer 01, Peter, Wolter and Tommy (I think we are going to copy pieces of the interior!!!).
I do some business trips a year to Amsterdam and I have to say, they serve the best breakfast in town, including all worth knowing about sightseeing and activities of their city.
During our 9-days stay, Sue and I used the kitchen also to do some cooking in the evening, and one day, we invited Peter and Wolter for dinner in their own Bed & Breakfast.
While our children using the internet and the media offer of their room, we found some time to walk the romantic parts of Amsterdam and made us an unforgettable stay.
See you on my next business trip in February -

Roland

Stayed: August 2006
2  Thank SAM1000
Reviewed 23 September 2006

I have been to Amsterdam 4 times total now, but have never been able to find the perfect place to stay (there are many hotels and B+Bs to choose from, and few really good ones).

Then I found The Kamer01. Staying there was so nice that it has turned into a huge part of me yearning to go back for a visit as soon as possible.

The owners, Peter & Walter are two of the most hospitable, friendly, and refined people you could ever hope to meet. They literally have molded this B+B with their own hands and operate it with such attention to detail that you feel as though you were royalty. Those of you who are really imppressed by "the small touches" will LOVE this place.

Peter, it turns out, is also the designer of the decor of the B+B. He also designed and had built many of the pieces of furniture and art that adorn the property.

I had the pleasure of staying in both rooms. The Blue Room is the top floor room, and is made special by the the roofline beams in the ceiling, as well as a very quaint balcony on the roof. The decor is very modern with a truly fun (and very comfortable) round bed! The marble bathroom is very, very nice (a rarity in Amsterdam, in my humble opinion).

The Red Room is my favorite. It is on the second floor and is truly GRAND. It has an eclectic collection of furnishings, and the SEXIEST bathroom you have ever seen. Large sheets of frosted glass make up the walls of the large bath area, and the custom-designed sink is something to behold (you gotta see it to believe it).

In both rooms, the bed linens and mattresses are the very best. Same goes for the towels in the bathrooms. You just can't get any better.

Of course, no trip to Amsterdam would be complete without fresh flowers. Both rooms always have lovely arrangements.

Now, for the best part...Many hotels offer a breakfast with your room. Typically, it consists of a table that has been set up in the lobby that has some bread, cheese and meat laid out on some plates for everyone to handle, as well as some poorly made coffee.

Well, breakfast at the Kamer is like visiting the finest dinner restaurant, but having breakfast instead. The dishes, silverware, stemware and flowers are all in place in the custom-designed ground floor kitchen area. The freshest, high quality cheeses, jams, local breads and fantastic cuts of meat are all beautifully arranged SEPARATELY for EACH individual. It really makes you feel special. You literally have your own "everything." And the coffee is divine. They have a very nice (probably very expensive) coffee machine where you can choose from a variety of blends and custom create your own cup of coffee. Very, very nice.

Truly, I cannot speak highly enough of this place. And, it goes without saying that I cannot wait to return.

Highly, Highly recommended.

Matt (Atlanta, GA)

• Stayed: July 2006, travelled solo
6  Thank Spiglet
Reviewed 6 September 2006

You cannot go wrong choosing this lovely hotel. The owners Peter and Walter (and their dog Tommy) took every care to make sure our stay was as welcoming and enjoyable as possible. From their champagne and chocolates on arrival, to the wonderful breakfast, to the amazing advice they gave on local attractions, to beautifully decorated rooms ... everything was perfect. Also, what an amazing location!!! In a lovely quiet street surrounded by great bars, galleries, restaurants and parks. But still right in the heart of things. Thank you for a lovely break ... we WILL be back again soon ... highly recommended if you want to get away from the big faceless, corporate hotel chains.
John and Vanessa (london)

Stayed: August 2006
3  Thank harg
Reviewed 26 August 2006

We have just returned from our second visit to this wonderful B&B and we enjoyed it every bit as much the second time. It has a wonderful central location, within walking distance of all the major attractions, yet on a quiet street away from the hustle and bustle. The interior of the B&B is stunning, both times we stayed in the Blue Room which is decorated in a modern yet romantic way with the most comfortable round bed and a small private balcony. It has all the mod cons that you could want for your stay, including a flat screen TV with DVD and an Apple Mac with an I Tunes Library and wonderful Rituals Cosmetics. The hospitality is also unrivaled, from the friendly greeting (with Champagne!) to the excellent advise on local restaurants, bars and attractions, the superb breakfast and the personal touches, such as complimentary bottles of wine on our return every evening. I can't recomend this B&B highly enough, simply, it is the best hotel we have ever stayed in and we will definately be returning at some point.

• Stayed: August 2006, travelled as a couple