Hotel The Golden Bear
US$485
US$421
Travelocity
  • Pool
XO Hotels Park West(Amsterdam)(Great Value!)
US$289
US$218
Hilton Amsterdam(Amsterdam)(Great Value!)
US$487
US$472
HotelQuickly
  • Room Service
All reviewsgay hotelsteep stairstop floorshared bathroomlocation was perfectdam squareleidseplein
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 6 November 2011

We stayed in this Hotel for 3 nights starting 28th October 2011. Our flights were changed and arrived in Amsterdam at 0930. On arrival at the hotel our room was available which was great. It had an en suite shower and the loo just outside the room , which was fine. Also being at the back of the Hotel we slept well with no traffic noise. We found out that we had left our travel plugs and the reception staff gave us one to use which was great. They also went out and purchased a hair dryer for my partner to use. Something they did not have to do. Also the breakfast was from 0830 until 1130 again this was adequate, bread ham cheese tea or coffee, jams and preserves. On a Sunday fried eggs and ham. The Hotel though a Gay Hotel had non gay couples staying , which was nice. For a 2 star hotel they went out of their way to look after the guests and the rooms were clean with TV tea and coffee and a small fridge. I would recommend this Hotel as good value for money in a city where hotels can be on the expensive side. The location was perfect a nice quiet street near to all the sights , with some bars and night life close by too.

Room Tip: we had room 31 at the back made it Very Quiet. LIke all Amsterdam houses the stairs are very steep.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank sainttom
Reviewed 2 November 2011

Have stayed many times at The Amistad hotel right across the street from The Golden Bear. This time I decided to give this one a try. Given the similar rates for both hotels I expected similar quality. I was wrong, my room was clean, the shared bathroom and/shower was located a few steps from the front door and was kept fairly clean. The staff I had contact with is probably in the wrong kind of business. If you must stay here because everything else is fully booked, don't expect a friendly smile or friendly service from the staff.

Room Tip: Some of the rooms are not conveniently located near shared bathroom and/or shower.. if you must stay here, request private facilities .... stay away from rooms in basement ..
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank travelguy9663
Reviewed 1 November 2011

I stayed in The Golden Bear twice this year and like the hotel and it's location. Rooms are clean and there is never a problem with a clean towels. As a place to stay at this location is a very good choice... as long as you don't have to deal with the staff. The only person who knows a little bit about how to talk to customers is Dave, the rest of them - I am really sorry to say that - def need some training in customer service. Not sure if that's a culture thing, but for a money they charge I expected at least nicer approach and attitude. On the end of the day I am there to keep them going, otherwise they will get bust.

After first stay I wasnt sure if it's just me so decided to come back, but the second time wasnt much better. I am going back to Amsterdam next month but will not stay in The Golden Bear anymore. I don't like to be treat like a their are doing me a big favour allowing me to stay there when it is me giving them a favour with my money.

Otherwise the hotel is OK.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank Pawel S
Reviewed 10 October 2011

We found accommodation in Amsterdam very expensive and so were delighted to find the Golden Bear. Beware though, it is a budget hotel, 1 star rated.

Having said that we had a nice large room, comfortable bed, nice sized shower and a mini fridge in our room, plus a large range of drinks (packets) in the room, including soups.

Like others reception on arrival was cool, but other members of staff were much more friendly. Didn't like the idea of being asked to pay the bill on arrival, before we'd even seen the room.

There was a terrible musty smell coming from the shower when we arrived, which did put us off a bit. We borrowed the bleach from the toilet on the landing and gave it a swill around and after that it was fine. Guess is was due to the room not having been used for a few days, probably not helped by the extractor fan in the shower not working. Maybe staff should check rooms before guests arrive.

For a city centre location our room was quiet, and all the bars and clubs, even those clustered around Central Station are within easy walking distance. We particularly enjoyed "Church" on Friday night, a few doors down the street.

Breakfast was very good, various breads, cheese, hams, spreads, juice, tea/coffeee. Plenty for us, we were offered more but declined, so not sure why some complaint there was not enough.

Apart from the breakfast area and reception the place is very shabby, but nothing that a few tins of paint wouldn't fix.

Overall we enjoyed our stay, wouldn't rush back, but wouldn't dismiss as an option either.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JohnBeds
Reviewed 13 September 2011

Good value, clean, decent breakfast (cold buffet) and very handy for seeing Amsterdam by foot and of course by boat. Disappointing cool receptionist on arrival, no offer to help with suitcase on those difficult stairs. Breakfast staff was much friendlier. Wanted to charge an extra 2% if we paid by Amex, so we used visa.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple