“Dissappointing”

Hotel The Golden Bear
Ranked #308 of 373 Hotels in Amsterdam
Reviewed 27 December 2011

I had a bad experienc e in this hotel. It was the most expensive of all places I stayed in Europe, almost 100 euros per night for a room where the windows couldn't close properly, not to mention that the curtains were really old and not enough to cover the window. The staff was relatively nice though not overly attentive but the stairs are definitely a safety concern, even more if you have a suitcase. Location was not bad at all and probably the best point for the hotel.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled solo
3  Thank AusverGeorge

Reviewed 13 December 2011

The hotel was in a good location and the rooms were clean, and comfortable if not a little shabby/dated. The staff were all rude, they didnt even acknowledge guests half the time and the staff on reception were too busy reading magazines to even look up when apporaching the reception desk. The cleaner seemed the most approachable of them all. Would not stay again because of this and there are much better places where they are glad of the custom.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
4  Thank Riche1w
Reviewed 11 December 2011

I must say I was a little bit worried after reading all the complaints here about bad service, smelly rooms and steep steps, but I soon found out that all the complaints must be a some kind of hate campaign agains this hotel. Okay, so the steps are very steep, but this is Amsterdam, and the building is old. It's just the way it is.....also, without steep steps, I guess this city would have joined Atlantis a long time ago ;) Dave, the staff member who checked me in and out, is very nice, polite and helpful. The room was very good, the low price concidered. You have to remember that this is a very old hotel, and with the low rates they are operating with, of course there are limitations on how much money they can use on renovation. The walls and ceiling could have been repainted, but hey... it's a low budget hotel, it's not the Hilton. The location is just great. When you step out of the door, you have "coffe shops", bars, restaurants, night clubs, stores, publict transportation and of course the beautiful canals that runs through most parts of the city.

The only thing that really got me frustrated was the wireless internet. The coverage and signal strenght was perfect, but the router kept on crashing every now and then... so guys, if you read this; Pleeeeeeeease buy a better router that doesn't crash all the time.. it costs...€30-40 I guess, and if you can't afford one, find my mailadress in your customer register and send me an email, and I'll buy you a new router as a x-mas gift ;)

All in all, this is great and cheap hotel, with a very friendly staff in a very good location, and I would love to stay here again.

To those of you who are going here; don't do the same mistake as I did, spending a lot of money on an expensive taxi just because you're uncertain on how to get here. If you come from the airport with the airport express train, just exit Amsterdam Centraal through the main entrance/exit and go to the trams on your right hand side, next to the taxi stand (yes there are trams at your left hand side also, but they don't go in your direction). Here you can take tram number 1, 2 or 5 to Prinsengracht. It takes about 10 minutes, and the trams have automatic PA-system announcing the next station all the way. If you are really lucky, you might also get some good jokes on the PA from the tram driver or the conductor :) When you exit the tram, just go 40-50 meters back, and you will find Kerkstraat and The Golden Bear on your left hand side.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank Stian M
Reviewed 29 November 2011

I had a great time at the Hotel Golden Bear in my recent stay in Amsterdam. I stayed in room #31 which had it's own shower and sink but I had a shared toilet with 3 other rooms. The room was a good size and the bathroom was nice but on arrival I did notice the shower was musty smelling. Once I took my first shower that cleared up. I think the owners may want to check into this.

The staff were all courteous to me. I had interaction with three different employees and one was a little quiet but I think that was more of a cultural thing, he was still friendly. When I asked questions they were all three very helpful.

The location is EXCELLENT. You are one block away from the 1, 2, and 5 train so you can get around quite easily. Walking to clubs and restaurants was mere minutes. You could hop on the train and get around to all the different gay clubs very easily.

The only negative I might have is actually something that they can't help and that is the staircase. It is steep!! I have never seen a spiral staircase with such little foot room so I would advise that you pack reasonably as carrying your luggage up two flights of these stairs is quite a task. For them to change the staircase would be a major redesign and in all actuality it didn't cause me that much problems I just needed to be cautious.

The price was great at 77 euro a night. I didn't try out the breakfast as I slept in past the service times on most days.

Room Tip: Room #31 was on the back side of the hotel so it was quiet.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank Chuck D
Reviewed 27 November 2011

The golden bear though one of the older hotels is well kept, our room was large clean with a big shower and bathroom and the loo just outside the door. As at the back of the hotel we had none of the problems with noise that other reviews state.
We had forgotten our travel plug and hairdryer, the reception staff loaned us both for our stay.
The breakfast was enough, toast breads ham and cheese jams and fruit juice. A nice touch was the Sunday breakfast was friend eggs and ham all served with tea or coffee.
The location is a nice one and near to everything. They even let us use the room even though we arrived very early at 0930 am. Well done to all the staff at the Golden Bear. We will stay again. Like a lot of Dutch buildings the stairs are very steep, but you get used to them. Good value and a nice place to stay,

Room Tip: ask for a room at the back
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank tommyM52
Reviewed 6 November 2011

We stayed in this Hotel for 3 nights starting 28th October 2011. Our flights were changed and arrived in Amsterdam at 0930. On arrival at the hotel our room was available which was great. It had an en suite shower and the loo just outside the room , which was fine. Also being at the back of the Hotel we slept well with no traffic noise. We found out that we had left our travel plugs and the reception staff gave us one to use which was great. They also went out and purchased a hair dryer for my partner to use. Something they did not have to do. Also the breakfast was from 0830 until 1130 again this was adequate, bread ham cheese tea or coffee, jams and preserves. On a Sunday fried eggs and ham. The Hotel though a Gay Hotel had non gay couples staying , which was nice. For a 2 star hotel they went out of their way to look after the guests and the rooms were clean with TV tea and coffee and a small fridge. I would recommend this Hotel as good value for money in a city where hotels can be on the expensive side. The location was perfect a nice quiet street near to all the sights , with some bars and night life close by too.

Room Tip: we had room 31 at the back made it Very Quiet. LIke all Amsterdam houses the stairs are very steep.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank sainttom
Reviewed 2 November 2011

Have stayed many times at The Amistad hotel right across the street from The Golden Bear. This time I decided to give this one a try. Given the similar rates for both hotels I expected similar quality. I was wrong, my room was clean, the shared bathroom and/shower was located a few steps from the front door and was kept fairly clean. The staff I had contact with is probably in the wrong kind of business. If you must stay here because everything else is fully booked, don't expect a friendly smile or friendly service from the staff.

Room Tip: Some of the rooms are not conveniently located near shared bathroom and/or shower.. if you must stay...
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends