“The Best Place to Stay”

Ranked #305 of 369 Hotels in Amsterdam
Atlanta, GA
“The Best Place to Stay”
Reviewed 19 December 2006

I stayed at the Golden Bear earlier this year and will highly recommend it to everyone. It is a small hotel in comparison to the others, but becasue of that, it was more personable and just the best time. The staff (who spoke better english than I) was VERY helpful.

Okay... I stayed in the top-top room. It was a pain to get up to, but ABSOLUTELY THE MOST ROMANTIC PLACE TO STAY (stay there - it's a little more money - but more than worth it). It overlooks the tops of the buildings and even gets a sunrise. You can open the window and there isn't a huge amount of traffic or noise. The best afternoon was when we came home from the Van Gogh Museum and went to the room, opened the window and was able to hear a kids birthday party next door - you can't get that in one of the big hotels.

I just got back from Amsterdam, in November, and stayed at one of the big hotels and HATED it. EVERY time I passed the Golden Bear, I cried to stay there. I plan to go for Queens day in 07 and will stay at the Golden Bear.

AGAIN, I HIGHLY RECOMMEND THIS HOTEL. I plan to spend part of my honeymoon there.... now... to get a husband...

• Liked — The room was amazing, above everything on the street
  • Disliked — The staris to go up to the top-top room are VERY steep
  • Tips/Secrets — BOOK EARLY
  • Stayed April 2006, travelled with friends
2 Thank juju-BB

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Mid-Hudson Valley, New York
Reviewed 17 December 2006

I have read all the current reviews of this hotel, and am shocked by the negative experiences of some guests; theirs does not match mine at all. I found the hotel in 2001, and have stayed there for two weeks every year in September through 2006. I find the facility perfect for my needs, the staff is always friendly, courteous and helpful, and that is everyone. I have spent much time chatting with them, we joke and laugh and have good conversations, and I even email them throughout the year; I look forward to seeing them again on my next visit. I stay in the same room each time because it is perfect for me, and now feels like 'home'. The room is immaculate, comfortable and pleasant; I always feel safe and secure. I share a toilet and shower, and that has never been a problem. They are always pristine, probably cleaner than my home bathroom. Breakfast is served late, always plentiful and fresh, with an ample variety, and eggs and ham on Sundays. Yes, the stairs are steep. That is the Amsterdam style. One should travel lightly anyway. Never had a problem with locks, keys or securtiy, and I suspect the guest who lost money and a cell phone was the victim of pick-pockets throughout the city, not the staff or other guests at the hotel! Location is superb; it is quiet and very convenient. Mosquitos have only been an occassional problem, but Amsterdam does not know from screens, and the staff provided an aerosol spray which was helpful. In summation, the hotel is a great value - best price for a small comfortable hotel I know, and I've never met another guest who wasn't enjoying their stay at The Golden Bear, and why anyone would not be happy there is beyond my comprehension.

• Liked — clean, convenient and resonable rates
  • Disliked — steep stairs
  • Tips/Secrets — book early, stay late
  • Stayed September 2006, travelled solo
5 Thank rupe8
London
Reviewed 8 December 2006

Great little hotel with friendly staff always ready for a laugh. I stay here several times a year, and have never had a serious problem at all. Good location, very clean, and with a good breakfast. I feel at home when I am here.

Stayed November 2006
1 Thank tallguy1
New York
Reviewed 7 December 2006

I enjoyed my 10 day stay in Amsterdam at Hotel The Golden Bear in Nov 2006, and I'm happy to report that my visit was overall very positive. In fact, I'm planning on returning next year for another stay. (When I first booked my room, I was a worried having read the negative reviews on TripAdvisor, so I decided it would be helpful to include my experience here.)

Positive:
-Warm-hearted staff, bent over backwards to be accomodating
-Excellent free fast Wi-Fi in every room
-Clean showers, bathrooms and room
-friendly cleaning staff, who I trusted to be in my room
-small safes in every room
-Reasonable cancellation policy
-wonderful central location
-Contemporary IKEA style furnishings
-comfortable matresses and pillows
-room prices are a good value

Negative:
-Doors don't lock automatically, so remember to deadbolt lock your door using your key.
-I slept soundly when I used earplugs after discovering that the sound of doors being locked/unlocked, and the stairway were loud enough to wake me up the first night. (obviously this varies on your room location, and the hotel is a bit noisier on weekends.
-The hotel does not offer non-smoking rooms, however they are exploring this for next year I'm told. I found the smell of smoke in the 2 rooms I stayed in to be minimal to non-existant. Large windows make it easy to air out the room.
-staircases are the extremely steep narrow Amsterdam spiral kind. I traveled with 1 carryon suitcase so it was no problem for me. However, I can see trying to take a 50 lb, larger checked bag could be challenging.

• Stayed November 2006, travelled on business
4 Thank urhere
UK
Reviewed 6 December 2006

We agree with Kosporo, Toronto, very surprised at the negative feedback. This is a wonderful place to stay. It is ideally situated for the trams and nightlife, the rooms are clean (and cleaned daily), of a decent size, do not smell, the doors lock, the bathrooms are great, the decor is clearly recently re-done and well planned, the staff are very accomodating and friendly, (as is the cat), the breakfasts are delicious and just what you'd expect in Amsterdam. The price is on par with other similarly rated hotels, and we would not hesitate in staying here again nor in recommending it to our friends.
Lets face it, if you want to roll in drunk and leave your door unlocked thats nobodys fault but your own.
Just visit their website, it's great!
Russell & Mark, UK. xx

• Liked — Cleanliness
  • Disliked — the spiral staircase
  • Tips/Secrets — Stay here
  • Stayed September 2006, travelled with family
3 Thank russelluk39
Toronto
Reviewed 5 December 2006

Surprised to read the negative reviews of the Golden Bear. I stayed there for four nights and found it to be a great little place. It's well located, the staff are friendly, the breakfast was great (a typical Dutch-style breakfast, served until a decent hour!!), and the room was comfortable.
The web-site gives lots of info, and the place was pretty much as I expected from what I had seen on-line: I had no problems with smells, and the room was cleaned every day.
I would recommend this hotel to anyone I knew who was visiting Amsterdam.

• Liked — Location and Staff
  • Disliked — No gripes!
  • Tips/Secrets — Use the web-site
  • Stayed November 2006, travelled solo
1 Thank Kasproso
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Reviewed 1 October 2006

Where to begin? The staff is friendly and helpful. The location is good. Beds are ok and bathrooms not bad. I didn't have a problem with noise or mosquitos, but other travellers certainly did. The rooms are smallish and smoke-infested. My friend's room didn't get cleaned one day, which they claimed was because they were too busy. The breakfast is kind of horrible but better than nothing.

Worst problem is the room doors don't automatically lock. My friend came in tired and drunk Saturday night and neglected to lock his door. In the morning he couldn't find his mobile phone nor his money! Disastrous.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — theives, price, smoke
  • Tips/Secrets — don't go!
  • Stayed September 2006, travelled with friends
4 Thank MutsuiJackarama
Amsterdambear, owner at Hotel The Golden Bear, responded to this review, 6 December 2006
It is very difficult to get the smoke smell out of the room. Sometimes guests smoek hasj or something else and that makes it even more difficult.
As from 2007 on we will start with some smoke-free rooms as more and more guests are asking for it.
The friend did not report anything about the theft to the receptionist. He was drunk, so need I to say more?
Maybe he already lost his money and phone in a bar somewhere!!

Travellers are raving about these Amsterdam hotels