Hotel The Golden Bear
US$281
NH Hotels
US$166
US$147
WestCord Fashion Hotel Amsterdam(Amsterdam)(Great Value!)
US$254
NH Hotels
US$403
US$387
  • Restaurant
XO Hotels Couture(Amsterdam)(Great Value!)
US$114
US$91
US$367
US$240
US$263
US$247
Orbitz.com
  • Restaurant
XO Hotels Park West(Amsterdam)(Great Value!)
US$120
US$94
  • Restaurant
Ibis Amsterdam Centre Stopera(Amsterdam)(Great Value!)
US$166
US$157
Agoda.com
  • Bar/Lounge
All reviewsgay hotelsteep stairstop floorshared bathroomlocation was perfectdam squareleidseplein
Reviewed 17 March 2007

We had a great stay at The Golden Bear.
Our room was comfortable and clean.
The staff are friendly and helpful.
We'll definately be staying here again on our next trip to Amsterdam.
Bob Mitchell & Adey Steer

1  Thank smprods
Reviewed 25 December 2006

I could not find Golden Bear until now. First of all thank you to the receptionist for going out of his way to help me get out of the hell hole I was in at the time (see my review on the Aero Hotel). I dont understand some of the negatives I have been reading . Unless the hotel has changed drastically since I stayed there a year ago. I tried to stay there again this year, but alas, they were booked solid for my visit dates. I must say that the two rooms I stayed in were the cleanest (especially the bathroom) I have seen in Europe or the US. There were no smoke odors-just a clean (soap and water) smell. The beds were comfortable and the rooms were quiet. I was quite rested each morning. The breakfast was basic dutch--very acceptable. As for the drunk leaving the door unlocked--thats your own fault--you are in Europe--mama's not here to hold your hand--you must be responsible for your own safety.

• Stayed: December 2005, travelled solo
3  Thank Texbear21Plano
Reviewed 20 December 2006

I always have a wonderful stay at the Golden Bear.
Most important, the beds are comfy and roomy.
The entire staff is great!!! Thanks guys.
I imagine you get what you bring into a situation, and The Golden Bear presents many possibilities; all of which for me have been "wonderful".
I look forward to planning my next adventure.

Frank B
Safety Harbor, FL

Stayed: November 2006
2  Thank assin
Reviewed 19 December 2006

I stayed at the Golden Bear earlier this year and will highly recommend it to everyone. It is a small hotel in comparison to the others, but becasue of that, it was more personable and just the best time. The staff (who spoke better english than I) was VERY helpful.

Okay... I stayed in the top-top room. It was a pain to get up to, but ABSOLUTELY THE MOST ROMANTIC PLACE TO STAY (stay there - it's a little more money - but more than worth it). It overlooks the tops of the buildings and even gets a sunrise. You can open the window and there isn't a huge amount of traffic or noise. The best afternoon was when we came home from the Van Gogh Museum and went to the room, opened the window and was able to hear a kids birthday party next door - you can't get that in one of the big hotels.

I just got back from Amsterdam, in November, and stayed at one of the big hotels and HATED it. EVERY time I passed the Golden Bear, I cried to stay there. I plan to go for Queens day in 07 and will stay at the Golden Bear.

AGAIN, I HIGHLY RECOMMEND THIS HOTEL. I plan to spend part of my honeymoon there.... now... to get a husband...

• Stayed: April 2006, travelled with friends
2  Thank juju-BB
Reviewed 17 December 2006

I have read all the current reviews of this hotel, and am shocked by the negative experiences of some guests; theirs does not match mine at all. I found the hotel in 2001, and have stayed there for two weeks every year in September through 2006. I find the facility perfect for my needs, the staff is always friendly, courteous and helpful, and that is everyone. I have spent much time chatting with them, we joke and laugh and have good conversations, and I even email them throughout the year; I look forward to seeing them again on my next visit. I stay in the same room each time because it is perfect for me, and now feels like 'home'. The room is immaculate, comfortable and pleasant; I always feel safe and secure. I share a toilet and shower, and that has never been a problem. They are always pristine, probably cleaner than my home bathroom. Breakfast is served late, always plentiful and fresh, with an ample variety, and eggs and ham on Sundays. Yes, the stairs are steep. That is the Amsterdam style. One should travel lightly anyway. Never had a problem with locks, keys or securtiy, and I suspect the guest who lost money and a cell phone was the victim of pick-pockets throughout the city, not the staff or other guests at the hotel! Location is superb; it is quiet and very convenient. Mosquitos have only been an occassional problem, but Amsterdam does not know from screens, and the staff provided an aerosol spray which was helpful. In summation, the hotel is a great value - best price for a small comfortable hotel I know, and I've never met another guest who wasn't enjoying their stay at The Golden Bear, and why anyone would not be happy there is beyond my comprehension.

• Stayed: September 2006, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5  Thank rupe8