Hotel Flipper
US$137
US$448
US$423
  • Restaurant
XO Hotels Couture(Amsterdam)(Great Value!)
US$118
US$95
Hotel Estherea(Amsterdam)
US$502
US$354
Agoda.com
  • Room Service
WestCord Fashion Hotel Amsterdam(Amsterdam)(Great Value!)
US$254
US$186
Agoda.com
  • Pool
Ibis Amsterdam Centre Stopera(Amsterdam)(Great Value!)
US$185
US$158
  • Bar/Lounge
US$302
US$292
US$297
US$240
  • Restaurant
XO Hotels Park West(Amsterdam)(Great Value!)
US$144
US$115
US$263
US$248
  • Restaurant
All reviewsroom was fairly cleanroom with single bedshour receptionbasic amenitiescleaned dailysmall roomperfect hoteltram linecentral stationdam squareensuitebikecafes
Reviewed 17 September 2013

I found 3 flea on my bedsheet in the morning for the first night , I video and I kill them ( full of blood ). Afterward, I show to the staff and they promise to change to bedsheet. However , the same happen on the second day . I made a complaint and they change the room for me. After I return to my home country few days later, my body was full of insect bite mark and the rash is extremely itchy. Skin doctor said these are hypersensitivity reaction after a inset bite.

The hotel is not cheap and cost 100 to 160 Euro per night. You cant imagine that you pay such a high price and you have to "share facilities" , which mean share bathroom

I email the hotel for compensation of the doctor consultation fee and they said they will give me a discount next time. But I am not that crazy and stupid that I will return to this Hotel

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
4  Thank Simon S
Reviewed 7 September 2013

RE: Hotel Flipper , Amsterdam
I don't know how to reach TripAdvisor staff but consumers should be aware that Hotel Flipper doesn't refund when applicable. I booked the hotel around July 1, 2013. for a business trip in Amsterdam September 12-18. The cancellation policy states for no shows and for cancellations during this period September 13-17, it is non-refundable. The reservation was cancelled through Hotels.com within 24 hours due to a clerical error. July 2nd. 2013. Far in advance.
Hotels.com validated, I had the right to a refund and cancellation.
The hotel to date refuses to refund my $. It is approximately $1040 USD. The hotel states I will be charged the full amount however., Even the dates don't match. At the very least, I should be refunded for Sept 12 and Sept 18.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Jane M
Reviewed 5 September 2013

Having spent over seven-and-a-half years continuously on the road in rented accommodation from hotels to apartments to hostels and much in between, we have a good idea of what we look for in reserving a bed for the night.

Unless otherwise stated, assume the reviewed accommodation to have the following facilities: in-room internet connection for personal laptop, air conditioning, TV with English speaking channels, fridge and a safe.

We arrived by bus and got lost trying to find our way to the “hotel”*. It isn’t too far away from the food takeaway joint (untried) close by the bus stop if you get lucky, but we didn’t, and ended up walking around in circles for quite some time. We found it eventually and got checked in without fuss and climbed the stairs to get to room 18.

I’ve seen bigger rabbit hutches.

The small, double bed took up the entire room leaving a scant 6” to get by to the far (window) side and we had one slim wardrobe wedged into the gap on the other side. A couple of makeshift bedside cabinets (read stools/boxes) that couldn’t fit next to the bed and so were just left wherever they would be least in the way (objective not achieved) and a dustbin were the only other items of furniture.

A pitiful bedside lamp winked mournfully into oblivion and we had a mini flatscreen TV hoisted up the wall at the foot of the bed, mercifully above head height so one could almost pass the bed through the aforementioned 6” gap without having to duck and contort further.

But it wasn’t so much the Lilliputian scale of the room that was first noticeable, rather the heat. Almost sauna-esque, even with the windows flung wide open you could cook a chicken to perfection inside fifteen minutes.

The bed was OK, but with only one measly pillow available the stretched duvet looked lonely, so to occupy our minds while unpacking, we looked for the remote to switch on the TV. It was missing and remarkably enough, closer examination of the screen revealed it was rendered unusable without the little box with buttons. Who installs a television that cannot be manually operated?

The bathroom seemed disproportionately large, but even that had a few niggles. You knocked the tap when using the shower so the flow rate dropped or went overly hot or cold, and the electrical power point was not working , hence the hair drier was just collecting dust.

On a positive note, the wi-fi was excellent.

No fridge, in room safe, air con, or much else bar the basics mentioned above. There was a kettle but without any cups, so how is that useful?

We went back to Reception to ask for an additional pillow and the missing TV remote and were advised that neither could be supplied until the following morning. That wasn’t quite the response we were hoping for and so we politely suggested we were not impressed and ended up with the promise of an upgrade to a bigger room (what, the broom cupboard?) the next day with breakfast thrown in for free.

It was very late and so we agreed to their compromise and went up for the night, to encounter the biggest problem of all. The noise.

Clearly the concept of soundproofing has escaped the architects of this rambling building. Not only can you hear every fart, sneeze, burp and other bodily eruptions with such clarity, you’ll be amazed those responsible were not in the room with you- an impossibility of course, unless you’re related to a certain Mr Houdini.

The central courtyard is the oft chosen venue for all manner of travelling hippies who wax lyrical on their global exploits throughout the night (smoking is permitted outside hence the popularity) so you are unwillingly subjected to their tortuous dialogue at varying times throughout the wee hours of the morning. Do not be fooled that closing the window will help, it doesn’t, and only aids to quicken the chicken cooking times.

Doors slam like starter pistols, peoples’ footsteps sound like dead men walking, floorboards creak and naturally you’ll be reminded of all the road traffic noise, including an alarming number of emergency sirens. I suppose we should be grateful all the TV remotes were missing, we didn’t hear one television throughout our stay…

The next day improved no end with a good (free) breakfast, a three bed room with much more space (we even had a desk for the laptop) and a working TV. However, the supplied remote control unit was disintegrating and useless, but we could at least manually change channels and volume. It was barely worth it as aside from a few local channels we had just one English and one German for viewing.

Another bonus was that on enquiring about laundry the guy said he would do it free of charge for us. We assumed he was feeling guilty at the shambles of the first night, bit we happily accepted his kind offer, giving him our clothes at around 15:00. We asked when they would be ready and he replied “in the evening”. Again, this was fine as we were off early the next morning but when we got back at 21:00, the new receptionist said our things hadn’t even been dried yet and that they would be ready by 23:00. Excuse me? It takes two hours to dry some T-shirts and a pair of jeans?

Once more we made our feelings of disappointment known and despite a sullen face, we were repatriated with our freshly washed and dried bits inside forty-five minutes.

Finally, our second room (#15) although far better and one less flight of stairs to manage was equally hot and extremely noisy.

As ever, please feel free to contact us via a personal message or check out our Blog for more details and pictures. Just Google “ktelontour” or see our profile.

*It’s not a hotel, the “s” must have dropped out- we’ve been to far classier hostels and this would barely make the grade. At 65€/night (we stayed just the two) it is overly priced and not worth the money but prices are high in Amsterdam, even though this is quite a trek out from the centre.

Room Tip: Avoid room #18
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 August 2013 via mobile

Our room was clean, the clerk was real nice (they even offer you wine when you check in for free) it has bath items and nice comfy beds. Didn't have breakfast so,I don't know how that is. We were four and each one of us really didn't notice any sign of, y know, bugs or stuff that I read on TripAdvisor. We pretty much liked it and recommend.

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed 14 August 2013

For the price in Amsterdam area. One cant complain a lot. To be fair they go all out to serve and provide you with anything that you need. Generally rooms are small but livable. They should clean the toilet frequently since its a shared toilet.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com