“Unforgettable stay”

Ranked #128 of 336 Amsterdam B&B and Inns
Prague, Czech Republic
“Unforgettable stay”
Reviewed 19 December 2011

I stayed in this apartment in November (Van Gogh). We were 4 young girls from the Czech Republic. We came to Amsterdam for only 3 days; the reason of our visit was a concert of our favorite American musician, who did not come to our country, so we decided to travel to see him. We go on trips like this few times a year. We’ve already visited Cracow, Barcelona, Budapest, Berlin, Brussels, Paris, and Leipzig. I have to say, Amsterdam was one of the best places we chose for our trip. Personally, I was blown away by the atmosphere of the city and especially by the number of people riding their bikes in the street (that’s something we don’t do in our country at all – what a pity!). What I mean is, Amsterdam is so special, different in its own way and that’s what I loved about it.

Staying in a good hotel/apartment is always important for us and has a big influence on our stay, obviously. Van Gogh Studio Apartment was very beautiful and we really enjoyed the time there. We had everything we needed, there’s nothing to complain about. Also we tried the recommended burger bistro near to the apartment. Burgers were delicious. So, I made a promise to myself that I will return to Amsterdam as soon as possible. And when this will happen I can promise to you, I’ll return to this apartment, because I know I’d be satisfied.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
3 Thank Bee_echelon

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Bergen op Zoom, The Netherlands
Reviewed 19 December 2011

We stayed in Amsterdam for a friend’s birthday party in the area, and found by coincidence Xaviera's B&B. Secretly reading the Happy Hooker book in my childhood, made us decide to book a night at the B&B with an opportunity to meet the Madame in person.

We had not expected to get such a warm welcome from Xaviera and her husband Philip. They are both such charming and warm people. We stayed in the garden chalet, and it was nice that on this cold winter day, the heating in the chalet had been put on before our arrival, the fresh tulips in the room, also made our stay extra nice.

We really enjoyed the conversations we had with both of them in their living room surrounded by the dogs and cats, they adopted from a shelter in Spain. The room holds lots of memorable moments from Xaviera's interesting life.

The breakfast Philip made for us was delicious, it included home cooked ham, various types of cheese, nice warm bread rolls, yoghurt, jams, juice, coffee and he offered to cook or fry eggs, if we would have wanted it.

Our stay with Xaviera and Philip was very special, and we will remember this for a long time. We are considering coming back in the summer and might even go to her house in Marbella.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank NL_DINKS
Northampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 September 2011

Seemed ok on arrival but soon descended into the night from hell! We had the chalet in the garden which seemed nice at first, arrived in evening so didnt get to see much of outside.
We put our bags down in the room and had a cuppa before going out, when we arrived back in the middle of the night the chalet was on fire!!! No staff could be found or contacted, there were no fire extinguishers or fire alarms. Whilst trying to get help or find a fire extinguisher we saw cats on the worktops in the kitchen! Very unhygenic, in the morning when we went to see the damage it was quite apparent that the cause was a seriously overloaded extension, 6 plugs in 1 socket! Not only this but we also saw dog mess in the garden and the house was generally a mess. Unless your a fan of Xaviera's and/or you dont value your life then I'd stay well away.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
9 Thank zak230
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 August 2011

We chose to stay at Xaviera's B&B because my partner had read some of her books and wanted to meet her.
We stayed during the very cold snowy spell but were beautifully warm in 'Goliath'. The house is colourful and full of worldwide momentos and a landing full of scarves.... We had excellent continental breakfasts and were pleased to be able to have a most interesting and entertaining chat with Xaviera. We were the only residents in the house which was quite a good thing as the bathroom is very small and not as up-to-date as many would wish. However the novelty of the home and it's convenient access to town makes for a great place to stay for a short break.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
Madrid, Spain
Reviewed 7 August 2011

My newly wed wife and I stayed at Xaviera's and discovered an extremely disorganized utterly repulsive home. The filth of the home was an outcry to any persons standards. I walked to the bathroom in the morning and discovered dog feces on the way to the bathroom. She would not let us cancel our last two nights, so we booked another hotel in the city center and our experience of the wonderful city changed for the better. I recommend this to no one!!

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
8 Thank Paco1993
Reviewed 13 July 2011

A friend of a friend recommended Xaviera's B&B, and I booked a room on my most recent business trip.
The house is located on the outskirts of central Amsterdam, 10 minutes walk to the Rijksmuseum area or the canals that make up the historic heart of the city. It's a large, imposing building, very quiet, and it feels like home.
Xaviera gave me the chalet in the back garden - the room was clean, and felt like someone's home rather than the sterile hotel vibe; though the room itself wasn't huge, the bed was more than large enough for my 6'5" frame, and I slept very well - no street noise, no noise from other guests.
Breakfast is included - typically Dutch, with cooked meats, cheese, bread, pastries, yoghurt, juice and coffee (or tea), and eggs etc. available cooked to order. Having breakfast in someone's living room, overlooking the garden was a perfect way to start the day.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank nevware
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 2 May 2011

I specifically chose to stay ay Xaviera's Happy House when she was there because I am a big fan of hers. She is definitely a people person as well as her wonderful husband Phillip as well as Arnold which runs the place. A highlight was the dinner I had with Xaviera for a small fee but well worth it for her fans. Her husband Phillip cooked dinner and it was delicious. I got a chance to hear stories from the legendary madam and working girl and that was a unique and fun experience.
The house manager Arnold was great and he is even an experienced masseur which came in handy because I needed it after flying all day. He was great too.
If you like eclectic places and a fun time give a try.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with friends