All reviews happy hooker living room interesting hosts comfortable place to stay city centre cold cuts comfortable room five minute walk three nights van gogh museum nice stay visit amsterdam chalet goliath driveway tram fridge
Reviewed 15 July 2013

We booked and paid for a 2 bedroom smoking apartment via another website (Wimdu) and what Xaveria (the lady who took the booking) neglected to tell us was that she was giving us ONE ROOM IN SOMEONE'S NONE SMOKING SHARED APARTMENT. The apartment owner lives in the apartment and confirmed she acts as an overflow for Xaveria! She was mortified when we explained what we had paid for and understood how disappointed we were, When we said we wouldn't sleep in the same bed, a mattress was put on a floor for one of us to sleep on and Xaviera thinks it appropriate to keep the £150 she charged me for this ridiculous situation (for one night)!! The apartment owner looked at the information on the Internet for her apartment and contacted Xaveria to remove her details immediately. Needless to say we had to source alternative suitable accomodation and I would NEVER EVER use this lady again!!!

Date of stay: June 2013
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
10  Thank SuefromMadchester
Reviewed 4 June 2013

Staying in the home of Xaviera Hollander while in Amsterdam was a delightful experience and one of my favourite parts of my visit to Amsterdam. I enjoyed Xaviera's book, The Happy Hooker, as I came of age in the 1970s. She is an inspiring human being. Staying in her home was an honour. Xaviera and I did not get to meet as she was in Spain during my time in Amsterdam. However, we did speak on the phone. I love that she lives life fully and on her own terms. People who appreciate the body of work Xaviera shared with the world will enjoy this B&B. I stayed in the Chalet. It was lovely. The staff, Adrian and Stefano, are spectacular hosts and interesting people. They made me feel at home. They were inspiring conversationalists with excellent english. This is now my preferred place to stay in Amsterdam.You may also wish to pick up some autographed copies of Xaveria's books for yourself and as gifts for friends. Enjoy!!

Date of stay: June 2013
2  Thank Kathleen T
Reviewed 16 April 2013

One of the things on "my List" in life to do was stay at the legenday Happy House in Amsterdam, and meet Xaviera herself. After contacting her about my request to book a stay I was fortunate to exchange a few emails with her and also spend an evening with her and Philip over dinner on my stay.
The B&B is definitely comfortable with all amenities needed, great location in a safe and upscale part of Amsterdam. Great hosts and Philip is a great cook as well! The charm and warmth you expect will be delivered ten fold! I will definitely be back!

Date of stay: April 2013
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
1  Thank wildkat2000
Reviewed 23 March 2013

A safe, welcoming, comfortable place to stay. Xaviera is a force of nature, if you are lucky enough to run around the city with her you will see what its like to be treated like a celebrity. Philip is just the coolest host you could meet as well, easy to talk to, intelligent, down to earth, friendly. The rooms are comfortable, the food is great. The city is right there for you at their doorstep. You are 1 train stop from the airport, only a short tram ride from the city center, shopping, and museums district. You can just walk out the front door and find tons of good food and things to do within walking distance. Their local advice will help you make the most of your time in Amsterdam, whether you are looking for high culture or just a great time. This was its been almost 20 years now since my first trip, whenever i go to Amsterdam, thats where I stay.

Room tip: Rooms in Holland are small. The bigger rooms or chalet may suit travelers accustomed to larger rooms better.
Date of stay: March 2013
2  Thank K L
Reviewed 29 December 2012

I read "The Happy Hooker" as a teen and was always fascinated with Xaveria Hollander and her life so when I found out that she operates a B & B in Amsterdam I knew I had to go and meet this legend.
Xaveria place looks exactly like the photographs; a cozy home in a traditional European style. A touch cluttered with a very personal touch, this B & B is like a museum of Xaviera with photographs and painting adorning the walls and masses of books and trinkets throughout the home.
I had opted to have dinner with Xaviera and her lovely husband Philip. It was one of the best meals I have had outside of a 5 star restaurant; we started with stuffed mushrooms followed by Dutch steak. The conversation was lively and colourful as we exchanged stories.
I stayed in the chalet in the back, which was amazingly cozy. The one drawback was that shower was extremely tiny. The chalet was extremely quiet and private, with a very comfortable bed and lush towels.

Date of stay: December 2012