All reviews happy hooker living room interesting hosts comfortable place to stay city centre cold cuts comfortable room five minute walk three nights van gogh museum nice stay visit amsterdam chalet goliath driveway tram fridge
Reviewed 30 July 2013

Hi
I spent the night of 5.7.2013 in their house with my girlfriend
Was a terrible experience:
- we got a room where there was even no space to put a suitcase. So we would take turns on the bed to open and close suitcases while the other one would step out in the corridor.
For Eur 100!
- pics of bathroom shared with 1 other family enclosed. Smallest sink I have ever seen
- room is,quite rundown

And the best.... after me complaining, and after Mrs Xaviera and her husband had tried many times to ask personal questions about our couple which I eluded ( wasnt their business)...
Xaviera told my girlfriend the next morning she should leave me due to my age!!
I know unbelievable but true ( she answered they better mind their business)

Nonono!

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
7  Thank eric b
Reviewed 23 July 2013

GOOD PLACEMENT..vintage interior...NO COMMENTS....HEAVEN IN AMSTERDAM...staying in this place was very very wonderful...just happy mood...city views from balcon

2  Thank woopday
Reviewed 22 July 2013

You will feel at home at The Happy House in Amsterdam. I was so relaxed that I enjoyed breakfast, while still in my PJs. Also, they serve breakfast up to 11 AM, so sleeping late isn't an issue. The garden is a delight and filled with interesting exotic foliage. Every room has a personality and style that has a 70s groovy feel to it. You will be very well-connected to anything in the city, but you won't have to put up with the hoots and hollers of roving stag parties. The hosts are attentive to your every need, without being intrusive. And buy the book and get it signed! The Happy Hooker by Xaviera Hollander is a historic piece of literature that was part of what led the sexual revolution of the 70s.

Room tip: If you are a couple looking for a romantic getaway, pick the garden shed! The Golaith room was great for two friends, and has a small balcony onto the roof.
2  Thank Lisa D
Reviewed 15 July 2013

We booked and paid for a 2 bedroom smoking apartment via another website (Wimdu) and what Xaveria (the lady who took the booking) neglected to tell us was that she was giving us ONE ROOM IN SOMEONE'S NONE SMOKING SHARED APARTMENT. The apartment owner lives in the apartment and confirmed she acts as an overflow for Xaveria! She was mortified when we explained what we had paid for and understood how disappointed we were, When we said we wouldn't sleep in the same bed, a mattress was put on a floor for one of us to sleep on and Xaviera thinks it appropriate to keep the £150 she charged me for this ridiculous situation (for one night)!! The apartment owner looked at the information on the Internet for her apartment and contacted Xaveria to remove her details immediately. Needless to say we had to source alternative suitable accomodation and I would NEVER EVER use this lady again!!!

Date of stay: June 2013
10  Thank SuefromMadchester
Reviewed 4 June 2013

Staying in the home of Xaviera Hollander while in Amsterdam was a delightful experience and one of my favourite parts of my visit to Amsterdam. I enjoyed Xaviera's book, The Happy Hooker, as I came of age in the 1970s. She is an inspiring human being. Staying in her home was an honour. Xaviera and I did not get to meet as she was in Spain during my time in Amsterdam. However, we did speak on the phone. I love that she lives life fully and on her own terms. People who appreciate the body of work Xaviera shared with the world will enjoy this B&B. I stayed in the Chalet. It was lovely. The staff, Adrian and Stefano, are spectacular hosts and interesting people. They made me feel at home. They were inspiring conversationalists with excellent english. This is now my preferred place to stay in Amsterdam.You may also wish to pick up some autographed copies of Xaveria's books for yourself and as gifts for friends. Enjoy!!

Date of stay: June 2013