“a bizarre concept, implemented badly”

Qbic Hotel Amsterdam WTC
Ranked #102 of 364 Hotels in Amsterdam
Brighton, England, United Kingdom
“a bizarre concept, implemented badly”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 October 2011

What can I say about the Qbic? On first arrival, there was no one at reception and I had to phone someone to come and check me in. So I took a seat next to the cosy "fire", or rather television with a looped video on it. Looking around, I could see the catering facilities, namely a vending machine and a microwave. The general look of the reception/lounge was that of the big brother house on a very, very tight budget.

Walking through to my room through tired looking corridors, past the WTC's security office, the lighting changed to an eerie green glow. A very odd look for public parts of the hotel. The lighting couldn't be more different to the room, I opened the door to find a red light above my head and a "bed pod" thing in the centre of the room. Think Ikea does young offenders institution. Integral to this bed pod were a set of LED lights that do interesting colour chasing programmes. Not top of my list for hotel lighting, I'd rather a little sunlight.

To my surprise, the shower room was integral to the bed pod. My toilet was about 6 inches away from my pillow and there was no door seperating them.

Before taking a poo, I decided it would be prudent to open a window. No such luck. All the windows in this cell were sealed shut. I decided to look out of the window, so stood atop my bed to see over the frosted part of the glazing. And what a view! The bins in the parking garage before me were parked pleasingly straight.

Sadly, even after turning of the disco lights, my sleep was not sound as what seemed like the entire hotel's drainage system seems to be plumbed directly into my pod. Still, at least I was reassured that my fellow inmates were a clean bunch, what with the sound of their showers and toilet breaks keeping me entertained throughout the night.

My room did not have the luxury of a desk, which I'm told other rooms are afforded.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank Steve P
Qbic, Manager at Qbic Hotel Amsterdam WTC, responded to this review, 25 October 2011
Hello Steve P.

Many thanks for your feed back. We apologize that the hotel did not meet your expectations. We are fully aware that this may have left a feeling of dissatisfaction. We always try to be clear and honest in our communication concerning the products that we offer.

Please mail us at management@qbichotels.com so we can contact you personally.

Team Qbic Hotel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (178)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 October 2011

Qbic is the first stop on the train from Schipol airport. Gent on reception was very pleasant and helpful. Check in was 3pm and he allowed us to check in before 12pm which was great. Hotel was good value for money and clean (compared to what you would have got in the city for your money). Tram 5 stopped just behind the hotel and took approx 25 mins to get into centre but least you got to see the sights on the way. Metro 51 took around 10 mins but you didn't see as much. I have no complaints re this hotel and would stay here again and would recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: We had rooms 303 and 323, 303 was more spacious than 323.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
Qbic, Manager at Qbic Hotel Amsterdam WTC, responded to this review, 18 October 2011
Dear bella210205,

We are delighted to hear you appreciated your stay with us this much.
On a next visit we would be glad to offer you a great stay again!

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 October 2011

interesting formula: funky design budgethotel in WTC Amsterdam; truly friendly staff and breakfast included largely makes up for lack of fresh air due to sealed windows or no windows at all in your room; price/quality seems fine, but if you decide to stay shorter than the number of nights reserved, you still pay the whole amount: no refund alas!

• Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
Dear Niels66,

We want to thank you for your review. Indeed our booking terms are the ones you've stated.
The windows in the whole of the WTC building can not be opened, although the air that comes in is provided by a fresh air system.

Hope to be welcoming you back soon.

Vaasa, Finland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 October 2011

Good value for money. Within walking distance of RAI conference center, not close to city center but good connections with tram and trains. Direct train connection from Schipol.

Clean room, good bed. Lighting a bit too spaced out for me, but fortunately the colorful lighting can be turned off. No bathroom door, but that is OK when traveling alone.

Friendly and efficient staff.

Breakfast of good quality although not a big variety.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
Dear meterguy,

Thank you very much for your clear and positive feedback.

Hope to be welcoming you in the near future in our hotel.

Lincoln, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 October 2011

We stayed in this hotel last weekend and had a very good time. Although the world trade centre is a bit outside the main centre, it's pretty easy to use the public transport as it's 2mins from Amsterdam south station [a 5 min journey from the airport-cost 3 euros] to get into the centre. The room was very quirky, with the open-plan bathroom an interesting experience! breakfast was very good too. would recommend this place if you want to stay away from the main drag.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
Dear hcbrads,

Great to hear you have enjoyed your Qbic experience!

When can we expect to see you back again?

Tauranga, Bay Of Plenty, New Zealand
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 October 2011

On arrival the room had a slight smell of urine about it.. perhaps the fact the shower / toilet cubicle does not have a door on it has something to do with it.

Fantastic decorated rooms and makes excellent use of the space.. Not a bad place for a night or two, but I was there for 5 nights and was a bit too much. Cleaning was not that great, and a noisy corridor at times.

Staff seemed nice and breakfast pretty standard for a Euro hotel. Excellent location to the train and tram.

Lights did not work in my room.. so had a red glow for most of the time. Needs some work and could be an excellent hotel.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled on business
Qbic, Manager at Qbic Hotel Amsterdam WTC, responded to this review, 5 October 2011
Dear Biglobb,

First and foremost we want to thank you for taking the time to post this review about our hotel.
We appologize for the noisiness and troubkle with lighs you have encountered.
On a future stay please let us know if anything is bothering you, we then can assist you in these matters and offer solutions.

We hope you will still offer us the change to delight you on a future stay.

Kildare, Ireland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 September 2011

Before booking this hotel I rang the hotel to enquire if a cot was available. I was assured that a cot would be available and I should carry on with the booking and email QBIC for a cot. I booked online and was later informed(next day) no cot was available and that I could not have a refund. This is appalling customer service seeing as i phoned the hotel before proceeding with the booking. I was promised a bigger bed for the baby but this didn't happen either.
On the plus the location is excellent. The room was dirty with stains on the wall and door and accumulated dust. I would not recommend this hotel for a young family. Suitable for single male traveler

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank F C
Qbic, Manager at Qbic Hotel Amsterdam WTC, responded to this review, 30 September 2011
Dear F C,

Many thanks for your feed back and comments. We apologize for the inconvenience you had by your booking. Please sent your mail to: management@qbichotels.com so we can contact you personally.

Kind Regards,