“Cheap for a Great Location”

Hotel Cafe Corner House
Ranked #147 of 368 Hotels in Amsterdam
Guiseley, United Kingdom
“Cheap for a Great Location”
Reviewed 26 April 2011

Over the Easter Weekend, two friends and I cycled from London to Amsterdam and back via the Harwich to Hoek Ferry (just got back yesterday and my legs don't feel like they will forgive me for a while!). Amsterdam was absolutely rammed over the Easter weekend and the Corner House was one of only a handful of budget hotels available when we booked 3 months in advance and the only one with three rooms available (excluding dorms/hostels). We booked out of desperation to have somewhere to stay despite having read some very negative reviews on here and I felt I had to post a review here to document our favourable experience of the place, if only to offer a bit of balance. It's not the Ritz but the accommodation was of a satisfactory standard, clean with towels, soap and shower gel provided. The room sizes seemed to vary quite a bit - two of us were on the fifth floor which only has two rooms on it (12 and 14). 12 is large and encompasses what used to be '11' (an extra locked door onto my room shows a wall has been removed - they would have been tiny rooms before) whereas 14 is a little over half the size. Our other friend was on the first floor and I didn't see his room. There is a shared shower and toilet per floor and the one on the fourth and fifth floors were clean and worked well (although the light flickered in the shower on the fifth floor). There is a strong family resemblance between the members of staff and they were certainly very warm in their greeting when we arrived. The bar serves as a check-in desk and we were asked to pay for the rooms in advance. We showered after check-in and arranged to meet back in the bar so we had the opportunity to have an Amstel there while we re-grouped - the staff were again full of smiles and very welcoming. We returned to the hotel a little after 9pm (the day's cycling having taken its toll) and the bar was now full but the staff gave us our keys back very quickly. Contrary to tales of sleepless nights, I slept like a log. The streets in the centre of Amsterdam are very noisy at night so I think being on the fifth floor probably helped to dampen it a bit - I certainly slept very well. I didn't get to try the breakfast as we checked-out first thing, keen to see a bit more of Amsterdam before we headed back out on the road. I would stay there again. By the way - there is secure bike parking at MacBike in the Centraal Station (east and west sides) for E1.20/calendar day. We used it overnight with some reasonably flash bikes without incident.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 7 April 2011

For my recent first trip to Amsterdam, I did extensive research on where I should stay. My budget was microscopic, but I had high hopes. After reading tons of reviews and weighing all of the options, I decided to take a chance on the Corner House for my 2 night stay. I was really nervous about staying there as it was my first time in a hostel. All of my fears were alleviated from the moment I reached the hotel. Corner House was only about 2 or 3 Tram stops away from Central station. The location right on Dam Square was perfect. The Red light district is right across the square, but it didn’t feel loud or seedy at all. When I walked into the bar/restaurant, there were only a few locals enjoying a lunch-time beer. The person who checked me in was very polite and helpful. He even gave me a map of the area and answered my questions about the transportation. Right outside the door there are tons of options for anything you’d like to do while in Amsterdam. I had a private room with shared bathroom. The one small drawback was that my room was about 5 floors of steep stairs up. I only used the stairs twice a day, once in the morning when I left and once when I came back (also in the morning) so this wasn’t a big problem. The bed was comfy. I searched really hard for bugs and signs of mice but I didn’t see any. The room was tiny, but quiet and safe. There were even 2 little skylights. Even though I didn’t have my own bathroom there was a sink and mirror in the room. When I go back to Amsterdam, I will go back to the Corner house.

Room Tip: ask 4 a low floor if you hate stairs
  • Stayed March 2011, travelled solo
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 March 2011

I think this hotel is a great pick for location - just off Dam Square right in the middle of shops, bars and restaurants which is perfect for a short weekend break where you dont tend to spend alot of time in your hotel anyway as you are out and about.

Its a basic room with tv, bathroom and towels included - NOTE there are no toiletries or hairdryer, so you may want to take that with you. The tram line does run outside the hotel so can be a little noisey, but when drinking in the evenings you dont tend to notice when you get in!

It is above a pub - nice cosy vibe in pub with reasonably priced drinks. Wouldnt recommend the restaurant as its overpriced for basic food - i.e. 8 euro's for a basic tuna salad.

Overall good for basic accommodation - perfect location.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
Port Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 February 2011

I travelled to Amsterdam in May 2011 for a meet up with my friends from England. As they had already booked their accomodation and couldnt change to a bigger room , I was left with the unenviable task of findong myself a single room which wasnt too pricey, was safe and was also central.

I had looked at a few others and came to Cafe Corner House. I found myself quite wary due to some of the postings and comments about this hotel on Tripadvisor.

The room I booked was a single with shared toilet/Shower.

I was given the room directly above the bar, and when shown to my room I was generally pleased. It was clean and it was most certainly safe, and I also had a great view from the window. Ok..maybe it was a bit noisy with the trams. However i have been to Amsterdam many times and this is almost always the case. In the room there was a small telly - with BBc1 - and a small sink and wardrobe with hangers. THey had also left me a bar of soap and a small towel (however I had taken my own towel as I always do)

The manager was called Theo and in my honest opinion you couldnt have met a nicer person. He and his family are originally of Turkish descent, and they were soon talking away to me about life in general , maybe its a Scottish thing but I found each and every member of staff in the hotel to be friendly courteous and very very helpful.

I have been to Amsterdam before and done all the usual pubs and trips with my pals and we had a great time watching the climax of the English premiership ni the Globe Sports Bar. We had also watched the end of the Scottish season the day before there and again the staff and the locals couldnt have been more welcoming. They even gave us a couple of free drinks when Bob and Rons team (Chelsea) won the premiership with an 8-0 win over Wigan.

Also had a few beers and a game or two of pool in Cafe Mooy. Had more beers and a wee sing song as well as people watching in the Bar De Stoof. We tended to round off our nights by visting Cafe De Zon at Niewmarket , where Maartan - a good friend - will look after you and serve you beer until closing time.

On the way back I had a few in the hotel with my pals and with Theo. As I have said you couldnt have met a nicer person.

Tis was also the time of the Icelandic volcano blowing its top and causing disruption to flights. On the Sunday it had started up again and all the airports in Scotland had closed due to the cloud. I mentioned this to Theo as I was a bit concerned about having nowhere to stay. He took me to the side and told me not to worry as he would ensure that I had a roof over my head if I couldnt get home. it was a major relief to hear that as i didnt fancy having to sleep rough!! I hadnt taken my credit card or my bank card!

i have said before about my room being directly above the bar. This was good for 2 reasons...I didnt have far to go after a night cap, and it was busy enough to wake me from my hungover slumber at 9am. Thus ensuring I didnt waste my trip lying in bed feeling sorry for myself.

As luck would have it Glasgow Airport was opened on Monday and I travelled back to Scotland having had another exceptional weekend in Amsterdam. If and when I return then I and my friends will all be staying at the Cafe Corner House!

Cheap and Cheerful. if you are nice to them then they are nice to you!

if anyone has any queries then jus mail me!

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank Dannyton1971
Guildford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 February 2011

This hotel listing should come with a warning!. Staying at this hotel must be one of the worst experiences I have ever had. The staff were rude, lazy and abusive and refused to give a written receipt on checkout. The one young man who appears to be related to the owner, is ultra abusive, aggressive and approaches the guests in a threatening manner. Room size is best described as pokey. There is a lot of street noise very early in the morning which was only made worse by the loud music played late into the night. If you complain, there was NO response. The barman who seems like the only person in the place to oversee the guests hands out keys on request, so that security is non existent. The hotel reeks of tobacco smoke and clients often light up in the bar despite the law in holland against smoking in public spaces. The hotel manager (barman) was made aware that this was illegal under the Dutch laws but he could not care less. Toilet had no lighting and was located on a landing at the top of the stairs, which would prove very difficult for any special needs folk that required assistance. One has to squeeze past the toilet bowl, to enter the room. The shower facility was almost as bad with dated decor and positive smell of urine. The free internet WiFi does not work for more than 5 - 10 seconds, again the staff could not care less. The only positive thing I can say about this hotel is it's location, but that is irrelevant if one has to endure the dreadful staff at this establishment. Unfortunately I had not read the previous reviews or I would NEVER have stayed here.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank 4two4
Winnersh
Reviewed 2 February 2011

This is the worst hotel in Amsterdam without doubt, I would prefer to sleep in a dustbin next time.
The reservation said private bathroom it was a shared dirty ancient bathroom with no light.
The shared toilet was disgusting.
We tried to pay by card they couldnt take it as their machine didnt work or as he said the reception who we never saw wasnt there. So paid in cash no receipt.

This is no more than a crappy dark and dingy out dated pub with ghetto rooms not worth it from any score.
The law in Amsterdam is no smoking however they had staff and clients all smoking if not doing drugs. My bedding smelt of Smoke and had no sound proofing.
Their staff are untrained monkeys who mostly cant speak Dutch nor English very unhelpful I think they were Iranians straight from the banana boat.
when asked for a receipt the young boy started arguing with us and he was just the barman didnt even have anything to do with the hotel side. He has issues and should be cleaning streets not speaking to humans as we did understand his swear words .....
I am reporting to the hotel to their Tourist board as can only damage the reputation of a fine City.
I sincerely recommend this so called hotel be closed down and may be of low Tehran quality but not acceptable in Europe

• Stayed February 2011, travelled on business
3 Thank ahluwalia5
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 January 2011

This is the perfect base for a budget concious traveller who doesn't want to spend much time in their hotel room.
The location is perfect, right in the middle of everything. Easy walk to the main attractions of Amsterdam and the train station, within easy stumbling home distance, and there's a supermarket just down the road which was useful for a few last minute gifts and cheap food. The rooms were pretty simple and bare, but were clean, quiet and comfortable which is all that was important to me!
The staff spoke great english and were friendly enough. They allowed me to store my bag and let me head out into town whilst they got my room ready in the morning.
Overall I would definitely recommend this hotel if you need a cheap place to crash and don't fancy sharing a room in a hostel!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled solo