“Handy hotel”

Hotel Cafe Corner House
Ranked #150 of 368 Hotels in Amsterdam

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
Saint Helens, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 October 2013

we walked in and asked for help and straight away we were greeted by friendly staff who did there up most to help us, after our stay here we will be booking this place every time we stay in Amsterdam as its a great find! dont let the two star rating put you off this was at least a 4 star hotel and room 21 was amazing! great food! the owner is a lovely friendly guy and the staff were just great, this made our stay just wonderful, and when we had checked out the room they were happy to keep hold of our luggage for the whole day til our flight, cant ask for anything else just friendly and wonderful! highly recommend!!!

Room Tip: room 21 is just romantic and beautiful very quiet and the walk in shower room was just amazing!
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Emma C
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 October 2013

Well where to start, we arrived at the hotel a few hours before checkin which was 2pm. We asked if there was any chance of checking in before as the wheather was bad, so wanted to dry of and change, the response given by the bar lady was as if I'd asked her for a free night stay. After abruptly being told no, we wondered around the shops until checkin.
My mum HELD the room on her credit card on the understanding that payment was made on arrival, only to find out when we did checkin they took full payment from her card of nearly £750 (we had 3 rooms) we explained to the lady that in no where on the booking did it say that the card would be charge BEFORE checkin, as we were all paying separately cash on arrival. The lady said it had been done and there was no way of rectifying this unless we wanted to pay twice (extremley rude for someone whom just took it upon herself to take payment without the card holders autorisation) . Totally unacceptable to do without permission.
When we checked into the room they were clean, but in no way did they reflect the price we paid for superior rooms. There were buliding works so there was no heating for the first few hours until the work men had finished, which meant it was absolutely freezing.
The safe was broken, and when asking reception it seemed to much trouble to help out.
The rooms were basic but we expected that as it was only a 1* hotel, however found it extremely expensive for the lack of facilities and I can only imagine what the basic room was like.
Overall it was the unfriendly attitude of the staff that ruined our stay, every thing was to much trouble for them, manners and good customer service cost nothing and when somebody is paying to stay at the hotel you represent, a smile goes a long way. I have been to Amsterdame a number of times staying at different hotels, this was by far the most expensive and the worst i have stayed at. Would not recommend and most defiantly would NOT return.

Room Tip: Use a different hotel
5 Thank natalies65
Luton
Reviewed 15 October 2013

I went with my family for a nice weekend (so I thought). To this hotel and was very disappointed with the service we received for example they had already taken the money from my account without me being there to sign as I only used the card as a holding booking and we were all paying cash on arrival.The safe in the room never worked there was no lamp beside the bed which I also asked for but never arrived couldn't read in bed as light was well away from bed.it was very noisy with workman working even on Sunday. Staff even walked in room without even knocking.i could go on and on but let you judge for yourself. Never again

3 Thank 194Linda
london
Reviewed 15 October 2013

We choose this hotel due to he location - ok we knew it was a one star but being charged £120 per double room a night it wasn't the cheapest either. We arrived at our hotel early but rooms were not ready so asked to leave our bags and return at 2pm when check in was. There were 6 of us in our party (3 rooms booked - we left a holding card when booking hotel & due to pay the rooms upon arrival - as stated at time of booking and on order confirmation).

Upon check in we said that we would like to pay per room - the rude little lady said payment has been taken- we said no we wanted to pay on check in and that the booking was made with only a holding card. I stated we wanted the card refunded and to pay in euros as we all bought this extra amount for hotel and this wasn't fair on member of party who left their card details (758 euros been debited). She refused point blank - she said we can pay her twice if we want .
Well I am a very experienced traveller and have travelled to many hotels - I thought that a holding card is debited if the party is a non show not prior check in. Was not happy.

To be fair the upgraded room which we booked wasn't terrible apart from a scaffolding outside our window with workmen peeping in. We went to the shops and when we arrived back - we were mortified to find that my brother and his gf bedroom door was wide open with workmen coming in and out (my brother was out). I went into room and took his suitcase to see how easy it were to sneak his belongings out as workmen didn't know who I was - i succeeded . Disgusting -the staff didn't ask to gain entry to room- anyone could have stolen anything.

Oh and after a heavy night out do expect to be woken up at 7am from heavy building works. Or two hours prior check out a member of staff bursting into your bedroom without knocking to remind you check out is at eleven. I was having a romantic moment with my bf - highly embarrassing...

Other than that thoroughly enjoyed Amsterdam - hotel was awful -( also be wary of the safes in room as our didn't work - we asked someone to look at it ). She simply carried mine out and carried a new one in - I said isn't a safe meant to be secured in a wardrobe - anyone can carry it - not exactly safe is it. Brunette little lady who had an ATTITUDE PROBLEM "it's ok, we wouldn't steal". , maybe not but other guests could though given a tempting opportunity with your work men leaving guests bedrooms door wide open with belongings inside. Don't visit hotel.....

Room Tip: Don't choose this hotel, it isn't cheap nor worth it - rude staff!!!
4 Thank vickie12