“Top location! Top apartments!”

The Monk Amsterdam Apartments
The Monk Amsterdam Apartments
Ranked #226 of 373 Hotels in Amsterdam
Reviewed 6 November 2012

I've just returned from a stag weekend where I stayed at the Monk Amsterdam apartments.
We booked 3 apartments for 13 guys and I couldn't fault the place. The location is absolutely perfect for a stag party, right in the heart of the red district, near loads of bars and all the other friendly sights in Amsterdam :o)
Apartments were big, clean, comfy and had patios for smoking etc.
Thoroughly recommend, also need mention the burger bar across the road, great grub!!

Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends
4  Thank Scottish_Ross_1981

Reviewed 28 August 2012

When we made the booking we were promised an excellent location close to town, free parking, 4 bedrooms, outside space and various other things. We immediately agreed and put the booking in motion.

However, much later that day we were informed that we had been accidentally double booked and we were to take another apartment that was ‘very similar’. Unfortunately the new apartment was much further from town, 1 bedroom only, no free parking and no outside space.

We were not even able to open the patio doors, when pictures of the outside space were up on the website! Further to this we felt pushed into it as we had very little time left to book. A confirmation email also failed to get sent that we were promised with our terms and conditions, so most of this was not made known until we actually arrived in town.

We were also told that someone from our party could collect the keys during the day and go to the apartment first. When she arrived, she was told this was actually not possible, so we had to wait until the lady who booked the room could arrive and collect the keys, leaving the rest of us hanging around town, being unable to relax at the apartment, shower, get changed and park our vehicle. It took a further 45 minutes to sort the booking out once she had arrived, and for them to take a driving license from us.

We then had to pay for parking overnight which was an extra €30 euros.

When we complained the following morning to we were told the company could not be contacted because the offices are based in South America and do not open until 2pm. Check out is at 12pm so we were forced to pay the full amount despite being incredibly unhappy with the entire situation.

We have never experienced so many problems for a one night stay in a hotel, apartment or hostel ever before. We paid over €350 for this one night that was supposed to be relaxing and easy, and it is completely unacceptable to treat customers this way.

I have sent several emails complaining about our stay, and although I have been promised some compensation, I have been completely ignored. I have now sent a total of 6 emails so this is the only thing I can do is to stop others from having this kind of experience.

I would highly dissuade people from using this company as they clearly think it is acceptable to treat people this way.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
5  Thank MishkinB
Reviewed 24 August 2012

I stayed here on a stag do last weekend and am really glad that I got recommended to stay here. Henk and all the staff were cracking and you're right in the thick of it so couldn't have asked anymore. It's not the Ritz inside but if you're in a group and looking to stay centrally with a decent amount of living space and not just a pokey hotel room then they're on the money.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Hugh W
Reviewed 15 July 2012

Stayed here twice now and couldn't recommend enough. Clean, simple and reasonably priced. Great central location perfect for a weekend stay for a group of five or six. Friendly, helpful owner as well who makes the whole experience nice and easy. Anyone who doesn't rate this place is a tight fussbudget who wants 5 star accommodation but isn't prepared to pay for it!

• Stayed: July 2012
Reviewed 14 January 2012

Hi I stayed here for a hen party, and was disgusted to find bed bugs in the beds and on the walls, floor and ceiling of the apartments. My friends and I were bitten by these bugs, we were then cover in red itchy lumps!! We were offered no compensation or apology from the owners (who actually suggested that we might have brought the bed bugs with us in our suitcase!!) in short don't stay here!!! My experience of these apartments actually put me of Amsterdam!! I can honestly say I won't be back!

• Stayed: October 2011
2  Thank Kmscott105
Reviewed 10 January 2012

We stayed here with a group of 17 people celebrating a 50th Birthday and found The Monk catered to all our needs. Our diverse group covered the ages from 14 to 70 and the Nieuwmarket covered all possible needs from supermarket, market stalls, cafes and a coffee shop right on the corner :)
I have been visiting Amsterdam for 35 years and the apartments are the largest accommodations I have ever seen in Amsterdam and larger than most surrounding homes. Most of the apartments have access to a balcony and our one bedroom apartment had two. The other main attraction is the location with lots of atmosphere and plenty to see.
If you handle the stairs the penthouse has the best views and is a great space which we put to good use and had a cocktail party for 20 people. The bedroom door is a good laugh and is hung upside down and larger than the door frame.
The front rooms overlooking the street and the first floor apartment seemed to be the only ones without access to a balcony.
Must mention that whilst the balconies are a great spot to chill they are surrounded by residents who are quick to complain about any noise after 10pm. We were reprimanded 3 times but they did not realise we were from the same group otherwise I think they would have caused more trouble for us. It was around 10:30pm and we were not using foul language just laughing a lot but were threatened with the police.
In summary The Monk was a casually managed complex with large well equipped apartments, in a great location and great value. Certainly deserves a higher rating.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank RottenRonald
Reviewed 27 October 2011

Would like to say that this place definitely exceeded our expectations. We travelled in a group of 3. Did not really want to stay in a hostel, however we were in luck when we secured accomodation here. We actually came during a busy time as there was some Congress happening and alot of accomodation was fully booked for the week. We only stayed here for 2 nights but was definitely worth it. Convenience along with luxury best described our experience here. Cant spot any faults here as everything here was prestine. Clean rooms, bathooms, living room and we also had our own veranda.

Room Tip: Stairs are kinda narrow, but if you have alot of luggage, I believe you can leave them on the recept...